LP Gas Regulator

redharleymn

Can someone tell me where I put the dial for the LP Gas regulator that will allow it to switch automatically? I have 2 LP tanks and over the weekend the first one emptied and the second one did not "kick" in.

whp4262

You should be able to select either tank with both tanks on and when the one you selected is empty the regulator should automatically switch to the other tank. There should be an indicator that tells you the tanks have switched.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pegmikef

On mine the switch points to the tank in use, but if the switch is in the middle position it is on automatic (both tanks have to be opened). There is a red green indicator that shows the status of the tank it is pointing two, but on automatic it will only go red when both tanks are empty (or if one or both tanks are closed).

redharleymn

You should be able to select either tank with both tanks on and when the one you selected is empty the regulator should automatically switch to the other tank. There should be an indicator that tells you the tanks have switched.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I appreciate your feedback. The indicator gauge I have has a pointer that you can move to either 3, 6, 9, 12 (clock). Its now on 3. Hope that makes sense.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
There must be several variations of the auto-switching tank regulator. On mine, with both tanks mounted side by side, full, and turned on, the pointer is set to either side (9 or 3 o'clock), call that Tank 1. At this point, the indicator is showing green. When Tank 1 is empty, the regulator automatically switches to Tank 2 and the indicator turns red. The pointer does not move, however. At this point, I switch the pointer over to Tank 2 and remove Tank 1 for refilling. When I switch the pointer to Tank 2, the indicator returns to green. If you place the pointer at the 12 o'clock position, both tanks will be drawn from and the indicator will not turn red until both are empty. As for the 6 o'clock position, it may either be using both tanks at once or shut off completely. Of that, I'm not sure.

jimtoo

What JohnDar said is correct, but you must also open the tank valves very slowly. All the tanks now have a auto shutoff if it thinks to much gas is escaping such as when you first open the valve.

Jim M

Lou_and_Bette

There must be several variations of the auto-switching tank regulator. On mine, with both tanks mounted side by side, full, and turned on, the pointer is set to either side (9 or 3 o'clock), call that Tank 1. At this point, the indicator is showing green. When Tank 1 is empty, the regulator automatically switches to Tank 2 and the indicator turns red. The pointer does not move, however. At this point, I switch the pointer over to Tank 2 and remove Tank 1 for refilling. When I switch the pointer to Tank 2, the indicator returns to green. If you place the pointer at the 12 o'clock position, both tanks will be drawn from and the indicator will not turn red until both are empty. As for the 6 o'clock position, it may either be using both tanks at once or shut off completely. Of that, I'm not sure.

This is correct for me as well, but my idicator is clear until working tank is empty then it turns red.

BlackT

Redharleymn - Is your trailer a 5th wheel with a factory installed generator? If so, there should be another LP regulator near the LP tank on the opposite side of the trailer from the auto switch over valve. This regulator is set at 30 psi and feeds the low pressure regulator at the auto switch over valve. The 30 psi regulator can fail, either leaking from the weep hole or shutting off completely. I am on my third regulator. If it fails closed, it can appear like the auto switch over valve has failed.

pday1213

Redharleymn - Is your trailer a 5th wheel with a factory installed generator? If so, there should be another LP regulator near the LP tank on the opposite side of the trailer from the auto switch over valve. This regulator is set at 30 psi and feeds the low pressure regulator at the auto switch over valve. The 30 psi regulator can fail, either leaking from the weep hole or shutting off completely. I am on my third regulator. If it fails closed, it can appear like the auto switch over valve has failed.

Tom,
What were your symptoms for the pressure regulator going bad? I am having problems when my tanks switch from the off-door side ( with the dual tank/regulator switch) to the door side tank. When running from the door side tank the propane is running much slower and will not allow the furnace to operate. When I light the stove when the propane is operating from same door side tank, i can see that the flame on stove is much smaller and will not flame fully. I had to move my full tank from the door side to the off door side in order for me to get back to full propane pressure operation. Does anyone know what this would indicate? The dual tank switch bad or the small pressure regulator above connected on the door side tank going bad?

Thanks for the assistance.

danemayer

Tom,
What were your symptoms for the pressure regulator going bad? I am having problems when my tanks switch from the off-door side ( with the dual tank/regulator switch) to the door side tank. When running from the door side tank the propane is running much slower and will not allow the furnace to operate. When I light the stove when the propane is operating from same door side tank, i can see that the flame on stove is much smaller and will not flame fully. I had to move my full tank from the door side to the off door side in order for me to get back to full propane pressure operation. Does anyone know what this would indicate? The dual tank switch bad or the small pressure regulator above connected on the door side tank going bad?

Thanks for the assistance.
You want to replace the small regulator on the doorside along with the pigtail.

BlackT

PDay1213 - The first failed regulator leaked from the weep hole. The second failed regulator worked for a while and then restricted flow so much that I could not keep a stove burner lit.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Replace the regulator on the side that is not working properly and the hose running from the tank to the regular.