Colorado this year

Seren

Ok all you folks in Colorado, time to earn your money! We are planning on entering Colorado around the beginning of May coming from Santa Fe to Pagosa Springs then either over to Durango or towards Great Sand Dunes. We will eventually get to Tetons then Yellowstone by the beginning of September, but until then will probably spend May through Aug in Colorado. Having never been to Colorado before, what would be the best route to hit the most of what Colorado has to offer? We are not in any hurry since we fulltime, looking for scenery (day hikes, fishing, and photography), history, small towns, and relaxing in the cool summer temps with beautiful views. Consider myself a fairly good driver, but only mountains has been the Smokies. Don't mind any cold weather or snow, but not driving in it. 2014 - 39 ft Landmark with Yeti package, 2014 GMC 3500 diesel, Srw, 4x4. Any assistance is greatly appreciated!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

danemayer

Hi Seren,

As you plan your trip, consider that many RV parks in Colorado don't open until the end of May. In Pagosa Springs, for example, while there are quite a few RV parks, there's only one park open in May, and it's so so as you can see from the reviews.

There might be a couple of year round RV Parks on the east side of Wolf Creek Pass in South Fork. Durango may have one place (not sure) but I don't know if it's got full hookups in May.

If you're closer to Denver, I believe Cherry Creek State Park is open, as is Dakota Ridge in Golden.

Buena Vista has a couple of year round parks. There's a Chapter Rally at Arrowhead in Buena Vista in mid May.

And Tiger Run Resort in Breckenridge is open year round with full hookups and nice facilities.

If you stop in Pagosa Springs, give us a shout.

gwalter

Retired Colorado Chapter Leaders
The Colorado chapter is holding a rally in Buena Vista on May 12 to the 15th. You could come in to the Salida area and go to the Alamosa area and see the Great Sand Dune's and then come up to Buena Vista which is a gorgeous place to visit in Colorado. From there you can head West to the Durango and Mesa Verde area. The Ouray, Telluride, and Ridgeway State Park are north of Durango and great places to visit also.

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
Difficult questions! Every nook and cranny of this state has something to see. We went through and spent some time in the Smokies last summer. Loved it! Our ups and downs are much more severe than what you are used to. I would not be able to help you with routes until I knew exactly where you were going and from where. Grand Mesa down by Grand Junction sounds right up your ally though as far as places to see. We are having a CO rally about the time you are arriving if you are interested.

Be aware of seasonal closings up by Yellowstone as many are shutting down towards the end of the second week of September. We are going up that way this summer at the end of August beginning of September because of that.

MTPockets

We love Colorado and we've been visiting there for nearly 50 years.. The places you mentioned are a good start and in our opinion every place On the Western 2/3 of the state. As mentioned, many places are closed until June, but at lower altitudes you'll find openings.

StarryNight

Starting your Colorado journey...from Santa Fe on I-25: You can take the scenic route and get off of I-25 at Trinidad (Hwy 12) or continue North on I-25 to Walsenburg and get off onto Hwy 160 to Alamosa. We stayed at the Alamosa KOA and made a day-trip to Great Sand Dunes and Zapata Falls (BLM land). I believe the KOA opens in April sometime, but you probably should check online.
On to Pagosa Springs...Hwy 160.
Going on to Durango via Hwy160. We had a rally here a few years ago (United Campground) and made a day trip to Mesa Verde which was about an hours' drive from Durango. There are several campgrounds around the entrance to Mesa Verde...again, you should probably check online for an opening date since they are seasonal campgrounds.
From Durango, going north on scenic Hwy 550...you have several options:1] head towards the Gunnison (town name) area via 550 and Hwy 50; towards Salida, then north on Hwy 285/Hwy 24 to Buena Vista (and the Colorado Chapter Rally May 12-15:cool:). At this point you are just west of Colorado Springs...Hwy 24 takes you to Colorado Springs (maybe 100 miles?) There's a lot to "see" along this route...beautiful area...not sure what you want to do...hike? photos? fishing? it's all there!
2] Hwy 550 towards Ouray, Montrose (towns) or hwy 550 to Hwys 62/145/141 Colorado Scenic Highway route...takes you along the western edge of Colorado up to Grand Junction. Any of these routes are gorgeous! Especially springtime:)There's so much to see!
The Moab area in Utah, with Arches NP and Dinosaur NM...Denver on up to Wyoming is farmland...seems like it's always windy up in Wyoming...especially along I-80...and we are always heading into it!! No matter if we are going or coming!:eek:
I've given you a lot to digest...if you have questions about a specific area please ask...there are quite a few members in Colorado that can help...we are spread out all over the state!

Last edited:

Seren

Difficult questions! Every nook and cranny of this state has something to see. We went through and spent some time in the Smokies last summer. Loved it! Our ups and downs are much more severe than what you are used to. I would not be able to help you with routes until I knew exactly where you were going and from where. Grand Mesa down by Grand Junction sounds right up your ally though as far as places to see. We are having a CO rally about the time you are arriving if you are interested.

Be aware of seasonal closings up by Yellowstone as many are shutting down towards the end of the second week of September. We are going up that way this summer at the end of August beginning of September because of that.

The only rough plans are Albuquerque in late April and Tetons and Yellowstone around beginning of September, then heading over to Washington. Thinking about either Buffalo Crossing or Grizzly RV Parks in West Yellowstone both stay open through October. May take a look at the location/timeframe for the rally.

Seren

Starting your Colorado journey...from Santa Fe on I-25: You can take the scenic route and get off of I-25 at Trinidad (Hwy 12) or continue North on I-25 to Walsenburg and get off onto Hwy 160 to Alamosa. We stayed at the Alamosa KOA and made a day-trip to Great Sand Dunes and Zapata Falls (BLM land). I believe the KOA opens in April sometime, but you probably should check online.
On to Pagosa Springs...Hwy 160.
Going on to Durango via Hwy160. We had a rally here a few years ago (United Campground) and made a day trip to Mesa Verde which was about an hours' drive from Durango. There are several campgrounds around the entrance to Mesa Verde...again, you should probably check online for an opening date since they are seasonal campgrounds.
From Durango, going north on scenic Hwy 550...you have several options:1] head towards the Gunnison (town name) area via 550 and Hwy 50; towards Salida, then north on Hwy 285/Hwy 24 to Buena Vista (and the Colorado Chapter Rally May 15-18:cool:). At this point you are just west of Colorado Springs...Hwy 24 takes you to Colorado Springs (maybe 100 miles?) There's a lot to "see" along this route...beautiful area...not sure what you want to do...hike? photos? fishing? it's all there!
2] Hwy 550 towards Ouray, Montrose (towns) or hwy 550 to Hwys 62/145/141 Colorado Scenic Highway route...takes you along the western edge of Colorado up to Grand Junction. Any of these routes are gorgeous! Especially springtime:)There's so much to see!
The Moab area in Utah, with Arches NP and Dinosaur NM...Denver on up to Wyoming is farmland...seems like it's always windy up in Wyoming...especially along I-80...and we are always heading into it!! No matter if we are going or coming!:eek:
I've given you a lot to digest...if you have questions about a specific area please ask...there are quite a few members in Colorado that can help...we are spread out all over the state!

Thanks for the info! Both of those ideas crossed our mind (Durango to Gunnison, or Durango to Moab then back to Western Colorado). Although when we head back east in the fall of 2017, we will probably take the southern route and hit Grand Canyon, Zion, Bryce, and maybe as far north as Moab, but want to go to Monument Valley too, so maybe Moab is too out of the way.
Also thought that if nothing open in Durango in early May, maybe Great Sand Dunes, Colorado Springs then Gunnison, but that would mean missing Durango unless we backtrack. Not too sure if I want to go on 550 (Million Dollar Highway) in mid-May (weather/avalanche concerns). Yes, hiking, fishing and photo, exactly!

Seren

The Colorado chapter is holding a rally in Buena Vista on May 12 to the 15th. You could come in to the Salida area and go to the Alamosa area and see the Great Sand Dune's and then come up to Buena Vista which is a gorgeous place to visit in Colorado. From there you can head West to the Durango and Mesa Verde area. The Ouray, Telluride, and Ridgeway State Park are north of Durango and great places to visit also.

Will take a serious look at this although do not want to rush from place to place and it depends what campgrounds are open in early May. I follow the 4-3-3 rule, drive no more than 4 hrs, get in no later than 3 pm, and stay for at least 3 days

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

StarryNight

Mesa Verde RV Resort in Mancos is not far from Mesa Verde NP and opens March 1st. It is a 10/10/10 rating
Ancient Cedars RV Resort also not far from Mesa Verde NP is open March-November and has a 9/10/8 rating
Colorado has 43 state parks but not all have campgrounds and those that do may not necessarily be able to accommodate a larger rv such as a Bighorn or Landmark. If this may be something you might want to do (stay in a state park) you should definitely call the specific park and ask about the sites, dump station...etc...

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
If you like fishing, then you definately need to check out Blue Mesa Reservoir just west of Gunnison . . . this is our new favorite place to take our Prowler!

ProwleratBlueMesa-P1010116.jpg ProwlerBlueMesaFall-P1010381.jpg ProwlerBlueMesa-P1000477.jpg plus my sig shot was taken there.

Blue Mesa is the largest body of water in the State of Colorado and is loaded with huge fish!

And lots of scenery . . . and a whole bunch of campgrounds!

It is about a 2 hour drive from where the Colorado HOC Rally will be held.

Not far from Colorado Springs is the Royal Gorge . . . we like the Royal View Campground on Hwy 50.

Also . . . Mountaindale RV Resort (we are having a rally there this fall) is one of the best campgrounds around!

Estes park is also a must see . . . and is at the entrance to Rocky Mountain National Park!

Much more later . . .

Seren

If you like fishing, then you definately need to check out Blue Mesa Reservoir just west of Gunnison . . . this is our new favorite place to take our Prowllet!

Not far from Colorado Springs is the Royal Gorge . . . we like the Royal View Campground on Hwy 50.

Also . . . Mountaindale RV Resort (we are having a rally there this fall) is one of the best campgrounds around!

Estes park is also a must see . . . and is at the entrance to Rocky Mountain National Park!

Much more later . . .

Thanks for the great info! Will put it on my list

MTPockets

I remember one of our Colorado trips from Ohio many years ago, we purchased a book "Colorado Ghost Towns". We spent three weeks touring many mountain roads in our 4WD pick up truck locating the towns with the book as our guide. Best trip ever. I still worked at the time and wished we had more time.

TedS

Add Riverside RV Park, Bayfield, CO, on 160 as a possible stop. 18 miles east of Durango and always open. Most parks should be open early May. The Million Dollar Highway from Silverton to Ourey is beautiful but 2-lane and the speed limit should not be ignored.

brianlajoie

We came up Albuquerque to Durango on US550. It gives you an option if Raton Pass has bad weather.

I don't know if you have done this before, but US550 goes over Red Mountain pass (it's a series 3 10,000 ft plus passes actually: Red mountain, Coal Bank and Molas). The road is two lanes, windy with no shoulder. I did it, but it's not like going over Vail pass or through Eisenhower Tunnel. It is very beautiful. I mention this as I'm not sure which way you will go to Gunnison.

JohnD

I took this from atop Molas Pass a few years back on our way to Silverton from Durango . . .

MolasPassSummit-IMGP1429.jpg

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
A couple things we've done in Colorado that I highly recommend:

1. Ride a train. There are a number of scenic excursion trains in Colorado: Durango/Silverton, Leadville, Georgetown, Chama/Antonito, Royal Gorge, and others. Getting to see the Colorado scenery at train speed (slower), where autos can't go, is so amazing!

84599ce31507000040af33de225adaed.jpg

d16f7244377687e54c0a1af3b42bbe26.jpg

faa5a3c848764527427f371f5b6bd68f.jpg

2. Rent a jeep and go exploring off-road. The Alpine Loop near Silverton is awesome! We spent 8 hours going 67 miles. So worth it!!

329b4c3e42a8ff8469a2b3cb3d38bc21.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seren

I remember one of our Colorado trips from Ohio many years ago, we purchased a book "Colorado Ghost Towns". We spent three weeks touring many mountain roads in our 4WD pick up truck locating the towns with the book as our guide. Best trip ever. I still worked at the time and wished we had more time.

Great idea about the ghost towns, thanks!

JohnD

I've been wanting to do the ghost town drive for years.

There are supposedly many of them down by our new favorite spot (Blue Mesa), so maybe this summer we will try to visit some of them.

Seren

We came up Albuquerque to Durango on US550. It gives you an option if Raton Pass has bad weather.

I don't know if you have done this before, but US550 goes over Red Mountain pass (it's a series 3 10,000 ft plus passes actually: Red mountain, Coal Bank and Molas). The road is two lanes, windy with no shoulder. I did it, but it's not like going over Vail pass or through Eisenhower Tunnel. It is very beautiful. I mention this as I'm not sure which way you will go to Gunnison.

From Albuquerque going via Santa Fe, Hwy 64 to Pagosa Springs stopping at Abiquiu Dam, ACE along the way. Kinda worried about taking the rig on 550 to Gunnison especially in mid May. Thinking about going to Moab to see Canyonlands and Arches then Gunnison. If we do not take rig on 550, will probably stay at Ridgway SP after Moab then take a day trip to Ouray and Silverton.