Haier Refrigerator Warranty problem. " Caveat-Emptor"

Buckeye

Last year at this time I purchased a Haier Residential Refrigerator to replace my defective Norcold unit that was only two years old. After using it for only three months last year and two weeks this year it has stopped cooling. When I contacted Haier, the customer service rep stated that using the Haier product in an RV voided the warranty. I told him that no where in the warranty does it state that. His response was he was sorry but he would look into it. My RV is stationary and does not travel. Four days ago I contacted Lowes where I purchased the refrigerator and extended service plan. So far no response from Lowes.

danemayer

Hi Buckeye,

I assume you're just alerting anyone considering purchase of a Haier unit from Lowes.

Btw, I've moved the thread to the Refrigerator area.

Buckeye

Hi Danemayer, No, I am trying to alert everyone that purchasing a Haier unit for use in your Rv from anyone is unwise. The jury is still out on the extended service plan from Lowes. I have had no response from them as yet.

BigJim45

Luv'n Life
Last year at this time I purchased a Haier Residential Refrigerator to replace my defective Norcold unit that was only two years old. After using it for only three months last year and two weeks this year it has stopped cooling. When I contacted Haier, the customer service rep stated that using the Haier product in an RV voided the warranty. I told him that no where in the warranty does it state that. His response was he was sorry but he would look into it. My RV is stationary and does not travel. Four days ago I contacted Lowes where I purchased the refrigerator and extended service plan. So far no response from Lowes.

Buckeye..............call the number listed on your extended warranty paper work. Sometimes it's not the retailer that sold the item to you. A lot of items Lowe's sells that you can purchase an entended warranty for are serviced by other company's. If you can't get help through Lowe's at store level they have a help number listed on their web site.

Hope this will help you.

Buckeye

Thanks BigJim45, I called the extended warranty rep this morning and they are trying to find someone in the local area to service my refrigerator. No luck so far. I saw on the internet that Haier( headquartered in China) has just purchased the appliance division of GE. They have been trying to get into the US market for years. I am glad we sold our GE stock when I retired. With everything that is going on I am really concerned about the World we are leaving for our children and grandchildren.

Bohemian

Hi Danemayer, No, I am trying to alert everyone that purchasing a Haier unit for use in your Rv from anyone is unwise. The jury is still out on the extended service plan from Lowes. I have had no response from them as yet.

Any response that takes more than 24 hrs is a clear response to me.

Buckeye

Update. Called Haier again on Tuesday of this week and they agreed to provide a "courtesy" service call to my RV. Service man came out yesterday and it appears that the compressor is bad. Waiting to hear from Haier to see if they will repair the bad compressor or offer me a new refrigerator. Lowes finally got back to me and offered a Lowes Gift card to buy out the old unit if Haier declines. Unfortunately the gift card will not cover what I paid last year. I will lose the cost of the service plan and delivery. All in all things may come out better than I expected.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Thanks for the heads-up on this brand and your experience with Lowes.
Am I correct in assuming that you purchased the Haier because it was the least expensive? I can think of quite a few brands I would purchase before Haier. JMHO

Apparently you are not the only one. http://www.consumeraffairs.com/homeowners/haier_refrigerators.html

This would be a good source to check before you purchase. Trace

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Haier Refrigerator Warranty problem. " Caveat-Emptor"

I've looked at the Haier as well as it looked like the right size to fit the space to replace the 8cu ft dometic (with drawer removal below it).

After reading that link, not gonna go there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buckeye

Re: Haier Refrigerator Warranty problem. " Caveat-Emptor"

The NORCOLD that came with our RV died after only two years( only three months of actual use) They wanted over $1200 to repair the cooling unit so I elected to go with a residential unit. The only one available locally to fit in the space was Haier at Lowes and yes it was inexpensive. I received another email from Haier and it looks like they are going to replace the compressor rather than a new frig. No telling how long it will take to get the parts. Yes Haier did purchase the appliance division at GE. I really believe that extended periods of non use is hard on these appliances.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member

The NORCOLD that came with our RV died after only two years( only three months of actual use) They wanted over $1200 to repair the cooling unit so I elected to go with a residential unit. The only one available locally to fit in the space was Haier at Lowes and yes it was inexpensive. I received another email from Haier and it looks like they are going to replace the compressor rather than a new frig. No telling how long it will take to get the parts. Yes Haier did purchase the appliance division at GE. I really believe that extended periods of non use is hard on these appliances.

I don't know if this is still true but I was always told that after transporting a refrigerator it needs to 'rest' 24 hours before using to allow the freon to 'settle' and that using it before that time could be hard on the compressor. If this is still true then won't jostling the refrigerator down the road when traveling do the same thing? As for me I will stick to the RV Refrigerator.

TxCowboy

Jim, I have a small college style fridge in my new tag along (my office) that says if it is tilted more than 45 degrees it should sit for 24 hours use to let the gases settle.

I guess that's kinda sorta what you said. But it doesn't say anything about just moving it down the road and being jostled.

Last edited:

avvidclif

Maybe lucky, I don't know. BUT all the way going back to a '76 Class C to the current 2015 5er I have always kept the fridge running in all of my RV's and have never replaced one (knock on wooden head). Think hideaway spot with cold beer.

wdk450

I had an old bubbletop Dodge van of the early 70's vintage set up as an RV camper. Included was an apartment sized freon refrigertor with a built-in 12 volt inverter. So at least then somebody thought that freon refrigerators were O.K. for on -the-road use.

I thought I heard that the tubing in home refrigerators was more susceptible to failure from road vibration-caused freon leaks, though.

Buckeye

Update. Haier contacted me yesterday and again said that my warranty was voided because it was installed in an RV. After Haier issued a work order to a local factory authorized service provider who came out last week to diagnose the problem, Haier has refused to pay them for the service call. In fact Haier told them to send the bill to me. The Haier customer service representative was rude and abusive. I believe that Haier will look for any excuse to void their warranty. On the BBB website in NJ there is over 465 complaints on Haier products in three years. On Lowes' website there is one complaint that Haier voided their warranty after only ten months because it was installed on their screened in porch. Let the buyer beware!

danemayer

Update. Haier contacted me yesterday and again said that my warranty was voided because it was installed in an RV. After Haier issued a work order to a local factory authorized service provider who came out last week to diagnose the problem, Haier has refused to pay them for the service call. In fact Haier told them to send the bill to me. The Haier customer service representative was rude and abusive. I believe that Haier will look for any excuse to void their warranty. On the BBB website in NJ there is over 465 complaints on Haier products in three years. On Lowes' website there is one complaint that Haier voided their warranty after only ten months because it was installed on their screened in porch. Let the buyer beware!
Buckeye,

I looked at one Haier refrigerator warranty and found the following exclusion: "Damage from use other than household use". That could be the basis for saying that RV usage is excluded.

It's possible that the construction of their refrigerators is not sufficient to survive bouncing down the road - and they know it - which could explain the exclusion.

Buckeye

danemayer, My RV is stationary and the refrigerator has moved from my site to storage and back once. A total trip of less than one-half mile. Why then did they void the warranty for the individual who used the unit on his screened in porch at his residence for ten months? My unit was in use for less than 3 months. There are hundreds of Haier refrigerators being used in RVs. Haier was just looking or an excuse not to honor their warranty. They knew that mine was in an RV when they approved the service call from one of their service providers. Then after the problem was diagnosed as a faulty compressor they decided to void the warranty and refuse payment to the service company.

danemayer

It's pretty clear their warranty is unsatisfactory. Unfortunately, since they gave themselves an escape clause, and they've used it to deny coverage, there's probably nothing you can do to get them to help you.

You might sit down with the store manager at the retailer and see how they view the situation. Maybe they'll help.

Buckeye

Fortunately Lowes has been very helpful. I purchased a three year service plan from them when I bought the frig. They contacted me last week and I should be receiving a buyout of my refrigerator. I'll get a refund of my purchase price plus tax sometime this week. I lose the cost of the extended warranty and delivery. I went into town today and purchased a Frigidaire from the service company that diagnosed the Haier. They are delivering the new frig tomorrow. I will give them the junk Haier. It should make someone a very nice boat anchor.