Day/Night Shades - Anyone have them unravel?

Has anyone had trouble with their day/night shades coming unraveled? All of our smaller windows have come unraveled and we ordered new ones from the factory and they were too narrow. Our unit is #26 from 2005 and they may have made some adjustments since then.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I'm not quite sure what you mean by "unravel". The problem we've been having is the cords breaking. We've discovered by accident that you can't have the shade too tight. I've replaced the cords in 2 shades and have adjusted the tension in some, but not all of the others. Adjust them so the tension is just enough to hold one section while moving the other. Not too loose and not too tight. I found some 80# test bow fishing line in a sports store that works well to replace the factory cords. It's braided polyester. The company that manufactures the shades was no help at all.

To date none of mine have "unraveled" . But this weekend I worked on the one in the Hallway of my Augusta which was running tight.

Needless to say it was quit a self education

The one thing I believe in is everyone should somehow tie a knot or something to prevent the cord from going into the shade hole.

Might save you some trouble later!

DougLynne

retired Alberta Chapter Leaders
Ray, we just had a cord break on our dining table blind. Any tricks on how to take it off, does the valance have to come off? Any tricks on how to re-string, looks pretty hard to me, I think they criss-cross but no sure? Thanks Doug.

Ray LeTourneau

Doug, what is this a coincidence? Our shade over the dining table broke today too. A job for tomorrow. Yes, the valance has to come off. There are at least 2 screws holding the upper part of the valance to the bottom of the cabinets and a single screw on each side holding the bottom outer corner of the side pieces. The screw on the bottom is buried in the fold of the fabric. All screws are #2 square drive. Remove the buttons on the bottom of the shade strings then unscrew the header from the window frame. You have to remove the plastic end caps from all 3 metal tubes. Also remove the 2 little wooden knobs on the lower and center metal tubes. After this, the metal tubes slide off of the shades. The top one is hardest because of the screws mashing in the frame tube. You are right in that the cords cross each other. In fact, they cross in the center and then again at the bottom. When you take it apart, observe where the cords go and assemble the same way. You will see there are 2 sets of cords in the wider shades and this is one of them. From the top. 2 cords go to the right and 2 to the left. They then go down individually through the holes in the shades to the center then cross sides. Down through the holes again to the bottom and cross again all the way out the end cap then down to the tabs. If I was good at paint, I could draw a picture and e-mail it to you but I'm not that good in MS Paint. Just take your time and watch how it goes together as you dissassemble it and you'll do fine.

cjbearden

Visitor
Okay, what's going on with all the window shade strings breaking? You jinxed us! Brand new Augusta and today the string broke in the shade behind the sofa. How the *#*#* do we remove the side and header boards to get to the top of the shades to remove the shades to work on? Bighorns have different window treatment attachment than we have now in the Augusta. Frustrated in CO!

DougLynne

retired Alberta Chapter Leaders
Thanks guys, I just got back online as I'm in the middle of rebuilding our deck for our stick house. Will look into soon as I get a chance.../Doug

Ray LeTourneau

Well we're biting the bullet and have started to replace the shades one at a time. Even though I fixed the broken cord, I ordered a Bali 1" wood blind for the window over the dinette. Home D $108. The next two will be the one over the couch then the rear window. I'll use 1-1/2" slats on the rear window. I guess I'm just tired of what seems to me, the inconvenience of day/night shades. You know. Opening and closing separately. Not being "level". Replacing broken cords. Yada yada yada!

Uncle Rog

Ray, give us a full report on the wood shades, we went with the mini blinds because of the weight.............

Ray LeTourneau

Ray, give us a full report on the wood shades, we went with the mini blinds because of the weight.............
Will do! I ordered the other two today snd all 3 are due in 7/11. As soon as they are up I'll take a couple pictures and post.

Ray LeTourneau

Will do! I ordered the other two today and all 3 are due in 7/11. As soon as I get them up I'll take a couple pictures and post.

Paul & Nan

Wondering why you did not go with cellular blinds. They weigh less, give more R value, look better, and are less expensive. If you came to me at JCP I would have sold them to you. We are looking at trading our 3500RL, am trying to get one without blinds and ordering Levolr's because they are better and less money. Wish they would wake up with the manufcturers and put decent blinds in to start with.The ones they put in aren't worth the trouble, but most of us can't afford the change once we have the rig. they used to put in decent cellular blinds in RV's. Someone sold the manufacturers a bill of goods on the junk they all now use. I am saying not just Hearland, but others as well. We have had RV's in the past with better blinds. Nan

Ray LeTourneau

Nan, We like the option of being able to partially open the blind to let in light or a breeze. As far as R value and weight, it wasn't a concern. The wood blinds seemed pretty light compared to faux wood and the plan is only to replace 4 total in the LR area. The rest of the windows will retain the day/night shades. As for looks? Opinions vary;). Ain't life grand?:D

Ray LeTourneau

The Blinds are in!

The rear blinds finally showed up and I installed them today along with the GILA Platinum Window Film for the rear window. It's supposed to reduce the effect of the suns heat by 70%. It's cloudy today so???? Anyway. Here are a few pictures of the blinds and one picture comparing the day/night shade compared to the mini blind for light control. What a difference. I've added a picture of the window with film on the top half and none on bottom. These are dual panes.

Attachments

• Dinette Blinds.jpg
    Dinette Blinds.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 59
  • Loveseat Blinds 2.jpg
    Loveseat Blinds 2.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 59
  • Rear Window Blinds.jpg
    Rear Window Blinds.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 58
  • Light Comparison.jpg
    Light Comparison.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 58
  • Window Film.jpg
    Window Film.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:

Tom of Ypsi

Ray,

Looks real good. Can hardly wait to see it at Rayford in Oct. We are looking into a place in the Valley that we were told is super cheap with installation also. Where did you get the GILA Platinum Window Film? That would be a real nice touch also.

Ray LeTourneau

Ray,

Looks real good. Can hardly wait to see it at Rayford in Oct. We are looking into a place in the Valley that we were told is super cheap with installation also. Where did you get the GILA Platinum Window Film? That would be a real nice touch also.
Tom, I bought the film at Lowes but I think it's available at Home D as well. Here's a link to the website for more info. www.gilafilms.com See you in a couple months.

BobSue

Moose!!!

I especially like the moose view out the back window:D

Is that some sort of clothesline hanging off the ladder in back?:confused: