Going to do our walk through tomorrow

My wife and I are going to do our walk through tomorrow on our 2016 North Trail NT24BH. Are there any tips that you can give us? Anything we need to look for? Anything we need to be especially careful about? I hate to be that customer, but we are paying a ton of money for this and want to make sure it's 100% before we drive it off the lot. Thanks!
18503a5cfa821d62d0eea3b833ab2186.jpg

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
My wife and I are going to do our walk through tomorrow on our 2016 North Trail NT24BH. Are there any tips that you can give us? Anything we need to look for? Anything we need to be especially careful about? I hate to be that customer, but we are paying a ton of money for this and want to make sure it's 100% before we drive it off the lot. Thanks!

18503a5cfa821d62d0eea3b833ab2186.jpg

Before you leave the lot check all of the components on the rig, heater, air conditioning, refrigeration on both gas and electric, operation of awnings, slides, water, water heater on electric and gas, door locks both the baggage doors and the entry door, shower, toilet...everything. Be sure you are shown how to operate the jacks, hitch, water heater, manual slide operation, open the emergency exits to be certain they work. Like I say operate everything. Make not of things that do not work properly and make arrangements to have them repaired before you leave if possible. Many arrangements to spend a night or two at a campground close to the dealership to test it in the field. Get telephone numbers of people who you can call if you find any issues.

Our sales guy gave me his cell # for anything that comes up. He's been very cool. I pray it stays that way after the sale.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

danemayer

Have someone take a video of the walk through - there's usually a lot to remember and reviewing the video after a few days will help.

If anything is found where the dealer has to order parts, ask to discuss with the service manager. Ask when the parts order will be placed and then follow up by calling Heartland to make sure the order was actually placed.

And even if everything is perfect, ask to meet the service manager. Find out what their service practices are. For example, if you need warranty work next Spring, and there's a backlog, find out if you can get in the queue and bring the trailer in on the day they're actually ready to start work.

Oregon_Camper

Feel free to download the Pre Delivery Inspection (PDI) in the link in my signature. Give yourself ~4 hours to complete.

Good Luck!!

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Do not accept a 30 minute walk thru. BTW, do not pay the dealer for the walk thru. Some dealer have tried to do this. HL pays the dealer for the walk thru's. Good luck and have fun camping.

We did the walk through and everything went smoothly. We asked a ton of questions and they took the time to answer them. It took an hour and a half to get through everything. We are getting and anti sway system installed and can hopefully pick up the trailer tomorrow. Thanks for all of the help!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

jimtoo

Are PDI done with & by dealer or on your own, we are supposed to have our new Landmark delivered this weekend

Hi cardinal,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

When you go for PDI, or to pick it up, do a very good, slow inspection. Your dealer should provide a tech or someone that is supposed to know how everything works and can demo it. Check everything from top to bottom and front to back. Make sure everything operates and you can operate everything. Have them have the water hooked up and check for leaks and even draining the tanks. Just go slow and check it all. If you find something not working.. get it fixed before signing the papers and paying for it.

I'm sure you will get more suggestions from our other members also.

Enjoy the forum and your new unit.

Jim M

danemayer

Are PDI done with & by dealer or on your own, we are supposed to have our new Landmark delivered this weekend

Hi cardinal,

PDI is a term that is sometimes used in two ways. The dealer is supposed to do a Pre-Delivery Inspection (PDI) before you ever see the trailer. That gives the dealer an opportunity to make sure everything is right and that the rig is clean and ready for you. Quality varies from dealer to dealer.

When you show up, before you sign the paperwork, which includes an acceptance letter that says everything is ok, the dealer should walk you through the coach, showing you how things work. During this time, you have an opportunity to inspect and try everything out. This is also often referred to as a PDI - the difference being that this one is where you're doing the inspection.

The quality of instruction in the walk through can also vary quite a bit from dealer to dealer. Don't be afraid to ask a lot of questions, and if there's an answer that doesn't sound right, you can make a note and post a question on the forum.

After the walk through, the dealer will want you to sign the acceptance letter and other papers. If you're not finished trying things out and carefully inspecting, just let them know that you need another hour (or two or three or whatever). They may pressure you to sign first, but you should make sure you've done a complete inspection before signing.

Ideally, any problems you find should be fixed before signing. On occasion, you may find something where a part has to be ordered. In that case you'll have to decide whether you want to wait to take delivery, or come back after the part arrives. Just keep in mind that the dealer is highly motivated to get your signature. In some situations you might be able to get them to arrange expedited parts delivery at their expense, or borrow a part from another rig.

One more thing: we have an owner-written Landmark 365 User Guide that you might read before the PDI. You may end up knowing more than the person doing the walk through.

And yes, they should notify you when the coach will be ready for the walk through.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member

The dealer should do the PDI (walkthrough) with you prior to delivery. Make a list of the issues you find and many if not all should be corrected before you take delivery. Also after you receive your rig I would recommend spending at least 1 or 2 nights in a campground as close to the dealer as possible so you can 'try it out' and find anything that needs work. Many dealers will come to you then to fix the problems.

mlpeloquin

Have someone take a video of the walk through - there's usually a lot to remember and reviewing the video after a few days will help.

If anything is found where the dealer has to order parts, ask to discuss with the service manager. Ask when the parts order will be placed and then follow up by calling Heartland to make sure the order was actually placed.

And even if everything is perfect, ask to meet the service manager. Find out what their service practices are. For example, if you need warranty work next Spring, and there's a backlog, find out if you can get in the queue and bring the trailer in on the day they're actually ready to start work.

Most dealerships do not have very good mechanics. I would inquire if an independent RV repair facility is near where you live that is Heartland approved for warranty work. I have such a place near me. In fact three. All with very good reputations. My dealer service my fifth wheel once. The replace the electric motor and gear box for the bedroom slide. At the same time I foolishly asked them to grease the bearings. At Goshen I took advantage of the price for new hangers and greased bolts for my suspension. After my trip across the country, Heartland rally in Goshen, New York, Massachusetts, Florida, Nashville, then home, I tried to remove the lug nuts. They were so over torqued that I had to use a breaker bar and a three foot pipe. I was very lucky to get one off with the threads all but gone. All had metal shaving from the threads from all lugs all tires. I went to a trailer supply and purchased all new lugs. I reused all but one lug nut temporarily. I called Heartland parts department and they gave me the supplier and correct part number for the lugs. I order all new lug nuts. Being over torqued the lugs could have sheared off. I was lucky. I will not trust dealer mechanics since they are there to get the rigs ready for delivery. They are not necessarily trained mechanics that know better. Get the job done and out ASAP is their job.