Correct Way to drop front legs

rjr6150

Stayed at two different campgrounds this weekend and both times when unhitching I leveled side to side then dropped the from landing jacks and used the motor to lift the unit until the pins caught in the legs. And both times I was unable to then drop the front low enough for front to back level. Am I doing something incorrect.

Thanks

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Front jacks

I guess I am in the reply mode today. My experience was when I tried to lower the front to level, I ran the pins into the floor and destroyed them. I found that screw drivers and coat hangers keep the legs in place when there are no useable pins. I now know that in order to lower the front sufficienly you need to extend the jacks a way before pulling the pins and dropping the legs. This will allow enough room to lower the nose.
Hope this helps you. It did me.
Peace
Dave

Handy

A Florida camper
Randy try lowering the landing jacks down about 8 or 10 inches then pull the pins to drop the legs. I look at how the rig is sitting first. If it is low in front then I just drop the legs with out lowering the legs at all. It is just a guess as to how far you need to lower the legs if the unit sits high.

Freckles

Founding New York Chapter Leader-Retired
Great ? with a great answer !! This forum has helped me in many ways !! Keep all the info coming !!

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
correct way to drop front legs

Stayed at two different campgrounds this weekend and both times when unhitching I leveled side to side then dropped the from landing jacks and used the motor to lift the unit until the pins caught in the legs. And both times I was unable to then drop the front low enough for front to back level. Am I doing something incorrect.

Thanks

I have a small level on the side just above where I stand to work the landing gear control. I eyeball whether I need to go up or down to be level. If I will need to come lower after I unhitch I will extend the legs by pulling the pins less. If I need to come higher I will extend the legs more. I have had to let air out of the air bags on the truck one time before having the side level. If you mark the level with a magic marker (light mark) when you are sitting on the truck you can get back to that point easier. Most of it is trial and error and experience. After a while you can just eyeball it and be close enough.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
We always extend the tubes down 6-8 inches to give the room needed to lower the front of the unit after disconnect.

I would not use the motor to extend the legs and catch the pins...you run the risk of "twisting" the leg in the tube if the ground is unlevel, and causing yourself alot of problems. After extending the tubes, drop the legs and lock the pins. If there are unevenly spaced, place a "leveler" or a piece of wood under whichever one needs it, to allow the unit to lift evenly. Otherwise you will "bind" or twist the frame and make doors, etc. stick when opening and closing.