How does an Escapee SnB address work with a satellite TV service for billing and channels?

TxCowboy

When using an Escapee (or similar) service for your permanent / domicile address, how does this work for which local channels you receive? Also, I assume billing can be performed via email and paid online, right?

If DW and I, being Texas residents, select Livingston, TX as our Escapee SnB address, which local stations are we expecting to receive if we're temporarily in El Paso (just as an example location)?

I also assume that we'd receive whichever premium channels we are paying for, regardless of location.

(And sorry if this should be posted in the Satellite section. I think it is more of a full timer issue.)

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Depending on your satellite provider it may be different.
I have DirecTV. My account shows a billing address and a location address.
So my billing stays the same but when we are in a different area I just notify them of my new location.
Also the locals are spot beamed so you may still get your home locals if you are within a couple hundred miles depending on the size of the beam spot.
spots1.png

Peace
Dave

danemayer

If there's one spot you're in a lot through the year, you could make that your service address and you'll get the local stations for that market. If you go to another area that falls outside of the spot beam for your service address, you can request a change in service address.

The problem you can run into is that when you call to change the service address, if you're moving around a lot, you may get some pushback. I don't think Directv or Dish will change the service address more than 3 or 4 times per year. If you call them weekly, I don't think that they'll go along.

If you're going to be here and there around the country, in order to get ABC, CBS, NBC, PBS, FOX as you travel, you should sign up for Distant Network Services (DNS). $15/month. You'll probably be given the New York stations. People who have a billing or home address closer to the west coast get Los Angeles stations.

I think I heard that getting DNS became more complicated with Dish about a year ago.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
We use Dish Network and change it just about every time we move and have only had one problem in 7 years with a CSR that didn't know their policy. Another call to a supervisor got it all straightened out. When you call in to change locals, tell them you're in an RV and they understand. I like getting local weather.

kowAlski631

We never had an issue changing locations with Dish. Just start the conversation with "I'm in an RV and we changed locations." As for billing, we set up pay on line, used our mailing address and no problems.

TxCowboy

Oops, I guess I should have been more specific about which cable service because it does make a difference. We've had DirecTv for years so we'll probably stay with them.

Depending on your satellite provider it may be different.
I have DirecTV. My account shows a billing address and a location address.
So my billing stays the same but when we are in a different area I just notify them of my new location.
Also the locals are spot beamed so you may still get your home locals if you are within a couple hundred miles depending on the size of the beam spot.
spots1.png

Peace
Dave

Dave, this is a good chart. What do the colored circles and the matching numbers mean?

- - - Updated - - -

Dan, that's good advice about the DNS. Will have to research that further.

MikeR

The colored circles show the coverage for the individual spot beams. These are for local stations. I believe that the matching numbers are the transponder numbers. Look at the circles for Dallas, Houston and Oklahoma City. As an example, with Dallas being your home local stations you're not going to travel far and you will be out of the coverage for that spot beam. Now if OK City is where your locals are you can do a lot of traveling and keep your local home stations. The reason you keep you're local OK City stations in Dallas instead of picking up Dallas stations is because they are delivered on different transponders.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Dave, this is a good chart. What do the colored circles and the matching numbers mean?
-
I've been told that the color on the map corresponds to the number/color listed below it.
Those are the transponders that provide the best local signal for your area. You need to check the transponder signals to get the highest number. That should tell you what color signal circle you are in.
So being near San Antonio you would want to check transponder signals on 12, 20, 26 and 28.
I've been wrong before, but that is the info I am led to believe.

On edit I see that MikeR beat me to the explanation.

Peace
Dave

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I have been fulltime since 2007 and used DirecTV since 1998. I have Distant Network Services and am grandfathered in so I get the commercial stations for both East and West Coast. I do not subscribe to local channels but watch them on the outdoor antenna. I do not use HD with DirecTV but get HD on over the air channels.

So I never have problem getting local channels when available in the area I am staying in..

BC

TxCowboy

I actually need to test the OTA on my Key West. Since I moved it into a nice RV park that had cable, I never really needed to check it out. Will do that when I'm there next time.

TXTiger

I have Dish and also use the Escapees Livingston address for my billing address. I do not get a bill however, I just get paperless billing and pay online. I usually stay in one location for a couple of months. When I move I call the Dish 800 number and change my service address to get the local channels. I don't think Dish has a limit on the number of times you are limited to change locals. I have been told that DirecTV does limit the number of times you can change your locals but I have never had Direct. Also with Dish you do not need to have Distant Network Services (DNS) only DirecTV requires it.

danemayer

Also with Dish you do not need to have Distant Network Services (DNS) only DirecTV requires it.

There seem to be some misunderstandings.

There are 3 ways to get network broadcasts from CBS, ABC, NBC, FOX, and PBS.

1. If there are local channels that you can receive via rooftop antenna.
2. If you have a satellite dish and change the service address to the local area.
3. If you have a satellite dish, you can subscribe to DNS. Directv does not require you to have it. It's an option. I'm not a Dish customer, but I'm pretty sure they also offer DNS as an option.

There are pros and cons to each approach.

MikeR

I believe that DISH no longer offers the option of DNS, west coast and east coast locals. They have no problem changing your home locals, when you move.