Got to the camp site. A couple newbie mistakes.

We made the maiden voyage. First thing is that I'm going to have to get used to the crummy gas mileage. Pulling a trailer makes quite a difference. Second thing, pulling a trailer with bad side wind sheer isn't fun. I guess it was good experience though. Now for the newbie mistakes. #1 We forgot to get leveling planks. We had to level using flat cuts of fire wood. Tomorrow I'm headed to the nearest place I can find to get some. #2 We can't use the awning due to being too close to a tree. We'll move back slightly tomorrow when I get some decent leveling planks, so that we can use it. #3 I turned on the electric water heater and a few hours later, no hot water. The breaker was turned off. Doh! Those were the main three. Other than that, it's gone very smoothly. Definitely beats the heck out of a tent. We'll take some photos and post them tomorrow.

Ladiver

Congrats. If those are the only newbie mistakes, you are doing good. Enjoy the weekend and try testing everything. On second thought, start playing around with thing BEFORE the RV supply store. You will find things that you may need.

As a newbie, this forum is your friend.

jimtoo

If that's all you did wrong,,, your almost an expert already. We all do something nearly every time we go out. So welcome to the RV world.

Just as a reminder... always ,,,, always,, hook up your water and turn on the hot water spicket/faucet to get the air out of the electric water heater before you turn on the electric switch to heat it up. Might just save you a heating element.

Enjoy the forum and your new toy.

Jim M

JanAndBill

We made the maiden voyage. First thing is that I'm going to have to get used to the crummy gas mileage. Pulling a trailer makes quite a difference. Second thing, pulling a trailer with bad side wind sheer isn't fun. I guess it was good experience though. Now for the newbie mistakes. #1 We forgot to get leveling planks. We had to level using flat cuts of fire wood. Tomorrow I'm headed to the nearest place I can find to get some. #2 We can't use the awning due to being too close to a tree. We'll move back slightly tomorrow when I get some decent leveling planks, so that we can use it. #3 I turned on the electric water heater and a few hours later, no hot water. The breaker was turned off. Doh! Those were the main three. Other than that, it's gone very smoothly. Definitely beats the heck out of a tent. We'll take some photos and post them tomorrow.

Just be glad you didn't turn on the electric hot water heater without switching the bypass valve back to normal. No water in tank = fried heating $45 element. And I've been RV'ing for years!!!!! Sometimes stuff happens. 2 years ago, we were at a campground when the MH across from us got hung up trying to cut across the grass with his VW in tow. In the process of using his jacks to lift up the coach to put blocks under the tires, he broke Then we learned the VW wasn't running because at the last stop after hooking it up, he forgot to take the car out of gear (manual transmission). Guess it was really humming until the motor locked up :)

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
One time with our previous Heartland Trail Runner I got the trailer in the perfect spot so that it was level, the awning would fit out over the patio and picnic table between the trees, the slideout would go out all the way without hitting the power pedistal or the water spicket, and then unhooked it from the truck.

Of course, the power cord was about two feet to short too reach the power pedistal.

DOH!

And last June when we took our Heartland Prowler 5th-wheel out for the first time . . . raised the front of the trailer . . . pulled the handle on the slider hitch . . . pulled the truck forward and 'POP'!

Ooppsseeyy . . . forgot to unhook the trailer brake breakaway cable!

Another DOH!

And last but not least . . .

When we got home from our third campout with our Prowler, while backing the trailer into our side yard, the wiring pigtail got caught on the receiver hitch on the truck and yanked the whole thing right off of the trailer!

Big Time DOH!

ProwlerPigtail-P1000474.jpg ProwlerPigtailDamage-P1000736.jpg ProwlerPigtailDamage-P1000739.jpg

JohnD

Excellent argument for an in-bed adapter. :D

Yup!

That is on my bucket list . . .

Now what I do is put a bungee cord over the pigtail hooked into the rear two box mounting holes on top of the side rails of the truck box to keep the pigtail from sliding over the side of the fender when turning or backing up.

kowAlski631

We hang the truck keys from the crank for the antenna. We both walk totally around the truck and trailer before leaving. Of course, that doesn't mean we won't lay something on a picnic table and drive off without it.

JohnD

I have a baggage tag that I hang from the antenna crank when it is up.

I also do several walk arounds to make sure all jacks are up, plugs unplugged, wheel chocks off, etc.

farside291

We pulled into a beautiful spot lots of trees. Went to put the slides out and couldn't figure why the left slide wouldn't extend...hitting a tree. Now I always check before extending slides.

donr827

Worst then any of yours. I started to pull out of our camp site in a steady rain. Made it about three feet before I realized that I did not bring the awning in that I was standing under to stay dry. Need more let me know.
Don

JanAndBill

Seems like MH's have more Oh*&^& moments then those of us pulling trailers. Maybe because we're on the ground right before we pull out, unlike those in a MH who can get distracted. They also tend to not look in their mirrors that much either. In a camp ground last year talking to a group of neighbors when we saw a MH leaving. We all started yelling and waving, he looked over at us, smiled and waved back. Had to run him down and get in front of him to stop him. His passenger side slide was still fully extended. :rolleyes:

TxCowboy

Saw something similar just a few weeks ago in our RV park. Class A pulling down the drive just after day break -- one slide out, manual steps still extended, OTA antenna still up, and one cargo door locked in the open position.

Apparently, he'd run out of propane during the night, had been up for several hours, wife was on his azz because it was cold in the RV, and they didn't have a towed vehicle to go to a place he could buy propane.

He just had to get some propane as soon as possible!

Fortunately, we got him stopped but he did ding up his OTA antenna pretty badly.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
You'll probably leave with the antennae up and the stairs down, too. Ask me how I know.lol

Hmmmm, maybe that's why my antenna doesn't crank up anymore! (Replacing with a King soon).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnD

Hmmmm, maybe that's why my antenna doesn't crank up anymore! (Replacing with a King soon)

You'll love the King/Jack antenna.

I replaced our batwing with the Jack . . . there is no comparison between the two!

TrailRunnerAtCherryChreek-IMG_20150517_095204779.jpg JackTVup-IMG_3935.jpg JackTVup-IMG_3936.jpg JackTVdown-IMG_3934.jpg ProwlerBVKOAsunrise-P1000424.jpg