Living Room Lights not Shutting Off

johndesco

I have a 2008 3200 bhs and the living room light switch will not shut the lights off at times. I have pulled the switch out that operates the lights and unplugged the lead going to the lights and it is hot. I suspect that there is a wire crossed/shorted somewhere in the trailer. The problem will come and go, it worked correctly for about a month then started acting up again. Does anyone have a wiring diagram that I could use to trouble shoot with? Thanks for the help.

John

Oldlthrneck

Just an Old Jarhead
I would look at the switch. change it out for another of the switches just to make sure. But I think that would be where your problem would be.
Fred

jimtoo

John, as a safety measure until you can take your trailer to your dealer for service or until you get time to check it out. I would recommend that you disconnect the battery or start by removing the fuses in the panel until the lights go out or the wire is no longer "hot".

htneighbors

Unbelievably Blessed!
Like Fred, I too, would suspect the switch first. You didn't say whether the lights were still ON after you disconnected the switch. If they stayed on - as Jim suggested - definitely disconnect the 12V, either the battery or by the fuse keeping it on.

johndesco

I have checked the switch, and it is working correctly. The secondary feed for the lights appears to be coming from the circuit that feeds the overhead lights on the bedroom slide. I have also taken proper pre-cautions of pulling the fuses when not trouble shooting to prevent any unwanted hazards from happening. Is it possible to get a wire diagram from the factory to trace the wires down with? I prefer not to take it to my dealer due to timing and other issues. Thanks

John

Forrest Fetherolf

Sorry to say..........Heartland does not have a plumbing or wiring diagrams for owners.........yet. Would be nice to have diagrams for us "do-it-yourself" owners. Maybe if we all keep asking, Heartland will provide diagrams someday.

tcbrady quote...............
Manufactures don't typically supply this information as it not that detailed, think of it as not getting the same information from a home builder.
Is there something specifically we can help with? Other forum members might be able to help with any type of questions you have about the wiring/plumbing.
Let us know...
Elkhart, IN 46414
Phone: 574-266-8726
Fax: 574-266-8702

Forrest

fishn2dmax

Have you thought about calling Ghost busters or asking a Priest to come by :eek:...;).

Seriously, Isolating which circuit that may be shorting with the other by pulling fuses is a great idea. A way to track the exact location of a short is with a digital VOM with a very low Ohm range or continunity scale. Using the Volt Ohm Meter, (you must remove the 12 Volt power source to the coach), place one lead on the postive side of the light fixture switch that controls the light that is staying on and place the other Probe on the other 12 volt supply circuits ( fuses or breakers in power panel removed or off) to determine which circuit is shorting to the light circuit. Using the meters lowest ohm setting, track the point of short by looking for the lowest reading point in the path ( Lowest resistance point between the circuits), this may require extending the meter leads and removing ceiling lights and wall boxes to find other points in the circuits. My guess is a wood screw or errant nail or staple has penetrated the insulation of two physically adjacent 12 volt circuit wires. This will cause an intermittent short condition. Sometimes a small physical tug on the wiring may be enough to dislodge the wire(s) from the nail / screw.

Good Luck.

jimtoo

johndesco,,, are the two fuses that you pull to kill the circuit side by side on the fuse panel by chance? If they are I would pull the panel and check the back side for a "stray or loose" strand of wire that might be going across the connectors. Just a thought.