Surge Protector for 291 XLT QB/ New Owner

kyle23462

First time travel trailer owner here guys so take it easy on me. I am sure I will have a lot of questions being a new owner. We took the plunge and signed papers on our 2016 Sundance 291 XLT QB on Saturday. We are starting our list of things to buy for the trailer and it keeps growing it seems. I have done some research and talked to a few friends and everyone recommends a surge protector. It seems the prices are all over the place, from $100 on Ebay to almost $600 in some other stores. Which surge protector should I buy and why? Trailer is 50 amp. Any and all info would be greatly appreciated.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Hello Kyle23462 and welcome to this great forum where you will find a lot of helpful people with a lot of knowledge ready to offer help. Or in this case ready to help you spend your hard earned cash.
I recommend the Progressive Industries hard wired unit. It also comes in a portable unit. Guarantied for life.
Tweety's is one place that has pretty good pricing. Scroll to the bottom of this link and you will see them. [LINK]

Peace
Dave

danemayer

Some are just surge protectors. The more expensive ones are Electrical Management Systems that protect against other threats including over and under voltage, lost neutral, and more. You want the EMS-HW50C (hardwire) or EMS-PT50C (portable).

TX_Clay

Looking at doing this as well for my CY3010. Can I put the EMS-HW50C at the end of my power cord and then go from the EMS to the transfer switch. Or is there a better way to do this?

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Looking at doing this as well for my CY3010. Can I put the EMS-HW50C at the end of my power cord and then go from the EMS to the transfer switch. Or is there a better way to do this?

I just bought one last week from a fellow Colorado Heartland Owner's Club (HOC) member (thanks, Ghettomedic) . . .

We both upgraded from Heartland bumper-pull to Heartland 5th-wheelers and he no longer needed a 30 amp surge protector.

Our new 5'ver is a 30 amp, so when I saw that he had listed that and a 30 amp extension cord in the 'For Sale' forum here I, I took them off of his hands!

I have it hooked up to the trailer right now in our side yard . . .

Anyway, if you are going to have an external surge protector, I would plug that directly into the power pedistal and then the trailer cord into the protector.

When we head out in three weeks to the Tucson HOC Rodeo Rally I will have to figure out how to lock it to the pedistal so it doesn't grow legs.

farside291

I have the portable one and I use one of the Master Locks that is 4 inches long, like what we used to use in the old days to lock bicycle's through the wheel. The progressive unit comes with a metal lock ring attached to the power plug. Works great.

khalsey

I was just looking at the Progressive Industries HW50C Surge Protector on Amazon and it says has a 3 year warranty.

AAdams

Some have done it this way others have put it between the transfer switch and fuse box. If you put it between the fuse box and transfer switch if there is a problem with the gen set or transfer switch the EMS will protect your RV and not allow power through.

- - - Updated - - -

I was just looking at the Progressive Industries HW50C Surge Protector on Amazon and it says has a 3 year warranty.

The Progressive web site HERE says Lifetime.

Edited to correct link to the right Progressive unit.

carl.swoyer

I use surge gaurd for both my transfer switch and the one you put into the post however I did put it inline between my transfer switch and my ac Panel. This way all power is analyzed. It also keeps the 50amp surge gaurd out of the weather. I did have an issue with the surge protector accumulating water.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk