need some electric advice

Niles

Not sure where to post this question, so if you need to move it OK. I've got a 30 amp cord going to the trailer from my generator. It has a male plug on both ends, it plugs into a 30 amp to 50amp adapter. The 30 amp side is female and the 50amp is male. I have a 50amp female it plugs into and goes to the main breaker box inside the camper. For anyone who has followed me so far, the reason for the female plug going into the breaker box is a safety thing for me not to touch hot prongs sticking out, because when on shore power it does back feed into this plug. OK here's the issue I have, when powering the trailer off of the generator I'm only feeding one side of my 50amp, so I don't have everything working inside of camper. How do I correct this? Run a jumper wire from the hot side of 30 so I get both 50 side hot. I think I'm going to have to make my own adapter just for this. I've set this up so I can run the trailer from my gen going down the road, wires are all ran in from hitch to storage compartment. If you didn't know I have this you would never see anything from outside the trailer. This is a portable gen not one from factory.

jnbhobe

Your right, just run a jumper to each side of your 50 amp plug, thats the way my 50 to 30 adapters are.

Niles

It's a honda 3000 yes males on both is not good however only plugged in when hooked to generator so not a issue. Transfer switch is not something I am going to do. I have a very simple system for a very simple person. Thanks for confirming the jumper.

carl.swoyer

I made a 30 to 50 amp pig tail when I get home this morning I'll send you a picture. A jumper is only going to split the incoming ac by 2. each side is I believe 15 amps

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Niles

Thanks Carl that would be great. I think I know what I need but pictures are always great. I wired this thing so it was pretty simple but forgot about just having the one leg. First time we used it was a little confused why only some plugs we're working. Then the light finally came on in my head.

carl.swoyer

This is a 30 to 50 pigtail. It allows me to plug into my 50 amp shore line
4a95cb37edaaf85c9837099c6c7efdb0.jpg
1b9140bf36240bcf8124700768aede2b.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

jnbhobe

When you jump the 30 amp wire you will have 30 amps on each of your 50 amp legs. But you will still only have 30 amps at the source

Candie

Mike & Candie Beaudette
I have installed a 50 Amp socket at the front of my BH specifically for running a generator out of the truck to power up the rig. During this installation i also installed a transfer switch to ensure the rear plug is not live. As for the connection between the front of the BH and generator, i bought a 25' generator cord and cut off 30amp female and replaced it with a 50 amp female plug bridging both hot sides. The big trick here is that a standard 30 to 50 amp adaptor by default takes the hot side and doubles it so both sides on the 50 amp in the rig is hot, but only supplying 30 amps.

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

Niles

Ok Thanks got my answer, I do realize I will only have 30amp power. Which is ok I'm not powering a lot just want all the sockets to be live so we don't have to move coffee pot around the camper finding a hot one. See ya down the road.

Niles

Just checked back in, Duane hey back, notice our signature we've set ourselves up for a big heartache again some day. Hopefully not for a long long time.