getting a new TV, what are others towing with

bagged123

Hello, I'm new to the forum and looking for some real world advice. I currently have a 32' TT that I'm pulling with a '14 Silverado 1500 dbl Cab with the 6.2 max tow package. We are looking to upgrade the TT to a 5'er and we like the landmark and Big Country and one other make so far. However, we're leaning more to the big country 3650. I'm looking at the new trucks out there, chevy and gmc and the tow ratings are low for the newer ones. So my question is, what is everyone using for a tow vehicles to tow their heartland 5'ers? I don't want a dually due to it'll be my daily driver as well. I've seen all the tow ratings and the "weight police" on boards, but I'm looking for some real world feedback. I've only seen 1 landmark on a CG and the owner was using a dually to tow it, but the 5'er was also 40' long, I'm not going that big.

Thanks for any information you can provide. .

danemayer

Hi bagged123,

The specs on truck websites and in brochures are a starting point. You'll want to check the 5th wheel towing and payload specs on the actual truck you're considering. The truck on the dealer lot will often be spec'd way less than the best case shown in the marketing literature.

Sniper

Hello, I'm new to the forum and looking for some real world advice. I currently have a 32' TT that I'm pulling with a '14 Silverado 1500 dbl Cab with the 6.2 max tow package. We are looking to upgrade the TT to a 5'er and we like the landmark and Big Country and one other make so far. However, we're leaning more to the big country 3650. I'm looking at the new trucks out there, chevy and gmc and the tow ratings are low for the newer ones. So my question is, what is everyone using for a tow vehicles to tow their heartland 5'ers? I don't want a dually due to it'll be my daily driver as well. I've seen all the tow ratings and the "weight police" on boards, but I'm looking for some real world feedback. I've only seen 1 landmark on a CG and the owner was using a dually to tow it, but the 5'er was also 40' long, I'm not going that big.

Thanks for any information you can provide. .
According to Heartland the 3650 is 39'5" long. That's pretty dang close to 40 foot. LOL On the 3650 the gross weight is 15,500 lbs, and the pin weight is 2350 lbs. You will need to find the gvwr, and grawr for the truck you are interested in to be sure, but I would say any of the big 3 one ton diesels would be more than capable of safely handling it. Personally I would NOT have anything other than a dually just for the stability it provides in cross winds and curves, and even if I have a blow out at high way speeds I still have another tire to get safely stopped, but I have seen and talked to several srw owners who say their rigs handle perfectly fine. I'm sure others that own that exact rig will chime in. Welcome to the forum, we're glad your here. :)

Oregon_Camper

I had a SRW F-350 (diesel) pulling our 2015 Bighorn 3160 and it was right at the level of what that truck could pull. You can see the SRW F-350 in my signature picture...I need a new one. :p

We upgraded to a DRW F-350 in August and it is NIGHT AND DAY between the two. The SRW F-350 would get "pushed" in the rear by the trailer on mild/sharp corners. This made me very uneasy.

My truck is now parked in driveway (booo!!!) but it won't fit in my garage (long bed vs short bed), but the this is a trivial matter, when it comes to the safety of my family and all the people around me while towing this huge 5th wheel down the road.

I know you said you didn't want a DRW, but I wanted to give you my first hand knowledge.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
I'm not sure why you say the GM trucks have a low tow rating. My '13 GMC (see sig) has a GCVWR of 30500# and is rated for a 22500# 5er That's way more than you would need to tow a BC. BTW, pin weight listed is for base model. That does not include any added options. You pin weight will closer to 3K and maybe a little more. You should also check with your state and find out if you need a non-commercial CDL license for 15500# GVW for the BC. In Ca. you do.

bagged123

I just test drove a Chevy 3500 SRW and that looks like that route I'm going. It can to #17,2 for the fifth wheel. That looks like the route I'm going to go, now just need to find the color and options I want, that's going to take forever and a day. lol We may change our 5'er choice, but it still between the landmark and big country

Sniper

I'm not sure why you say the GM trucks have a low tow rating. My '13 GMC (see sig) has a GCVWR of 30500# and is rated for a 22500# 5er That's way more than you would need to tow a BC. BTW, pin weight listed is for base model. That does not include any added options. You pin weight will closer to 3K and maybe a little more. You should also check with your state and find out if you need a non-commercial CDL license for 15500# GVW for the BC. In Ca. you do.
Kudos on catching my pin weight omission (my face was planted in my coffee mug while I was typing), and the CDL info. The need for a CDL would have never crossed my mind. That's another reason I really like our forum though, always a lot of great information from friendly folks. :)

billk263

California-South Chapter Leaders
I have a landmark Charleston, I started with a SRW. I took the truck to the scales then the entire rig. My truck could pull 16900 trailer weight. When the trailer was empty, no problem. After my wife's clothes and shoes,LOL! We were over weight in both pin and gross combined. I now have a dually. Crunch the numbers carefully or you will be trying to sell a brand new SRW to get a dually. They're not that bad as a DD. It just means more exercise

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

avvidclif

I just test drove a Chevy 3500 SRW and that looks like that route I'm going. It can to #17,2 for the fifth wheel. That looks like the route I'm going to go, now just need to find the color and options I want, that's going to take forever and a day. lol We may change our 5'er choice, but it still between the landmark and big country

By the time you add options to the SRW and reduce your available pin weight and then add options to the RV which increases your pin weight you will need a dually. Plain and simple. Look on the door post of the SRW you drove and see what the Cargo Capacity is. Subtract the weight of everything you put in the bed of the truck and in the cab with you, including wife and kids. Figure 250 lbs for the hitch. If the number that is left is over 3k you may be OK.

It's not what a truck can tow, it's what it can carry on the hitch that is the limiting factor when it comes to 5th wheels. IMHO none of the Landmarks and only the short BC can be towed safely by a SRW

You asked for advise, now whether or not you heed it????

FWIW With my setup (GVWR 15,500) I am right at the limit and have to pack very carefully. What happens when in a few years you want a bigger RV, then you get to buy both a TV and an RV.

GOTTOYS

I tow my BC 3250 with a dually. More than I need but I was hauling too much weight with my Dodge 2500. It was overloaded by about 800# and that was before I filled the Aux. fuel tank. I drive this one almost every day. Once I got used to it there are very few places I won't go with it. The difference in stability when towing is very noticeable...Don

bagged123

thanks everyone for the information, it's very useful and helpful. We're going to review everything and then decide which route to take from the truck to the 5'er. After looking at the 5'ers and the new trucks, it looks like the best route to take is with a DRW, but we'll see.
thanks again everyone

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I was always opposed to owning a DRW for all the reasons mentioned, too long, too wide, not good for a daily driver.
But after owning one there is no going back and if it had to be my daily driver it would not be a problem.
Good luck on your decision.

Peace
Dave

Bones

I had a SRW F-350 (diesel) pulling our 2015 Bighorn 3160 and it was right at the level of what that truck could pull. You can see the SRW F-350 in my signature picture...I need a new one. :p

We upgraded to a DRW F-350 in August and it is NIGHT AND DAY between the two. The SRW F-350 would get "pushed" in the rear by the trailer on mild/sharp corners. This made me very uneasy.

My truck is now parked in driveway (booo!!!) but it won't fit in my garage (long bed vs short bed), but the this is a trivial matter, when it comes to the safety of my family and all the people around me while towing this huge 5th wheel down the road.

I know you said you didn't want a DRW, but I wanted to give you my first hand knowledge.
I have to add my two cents to this post above is exactly what was happening with my truck. Only with mine I was overweight with everything and everyone. I really felt the truck get pushed in the rear especially in turns. The dually was the best choice. The wife agrees.

- - - Updated - - -

I just want to add that I drive mine every day to work.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Or you could buy the truck that you want . . . and then pick a different 5th-wheel that works with that truck.

There are many Heartland 5th-wheel options that you can choose from . . . so finding a different weight RV is not a big problem!

We bought our 2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD SRW Double Cab (6.0L Vortec V8 gas engine with the 4:10 rear end) to be overkill for our previous Heartland bumper-pull TT, but after some problems with that trailer we had it fixed, then the very next weekend traded it off for our current Heartland Prowler 5th-wheeler.

We saw a different Heartland trailer (Elkridge) with the floor plan we liked, but it was way too heavy for our brand new truck.

Found yet another Heartland brand (Sundance) with the exact same floor plan . . . still too heavy for our truck.

But low and behold . . . after looking around the Heartland website, we discovered that the Heartland Prowler that we now own has the exact same floor plan as the other two we saw and is well within the tow rating of our truck!

I pulled it in 60+ MPH winds hitting me cross sides a couple of weeks ago and I couldn't even tell it was back there!

I don't plan on buying another truck or trailer for at least 10 years, so I'm not worried about wanting a bigger trailer and being forced to buy a new truck right away.

And if, for some reason, we do need to buy another trailer before then, I know which 5'vers to look at now that we've already looked at several (including other brands) that are in our weight zone.

Attachments

• ProwlerMonarchPass-P1010480.jpg
    ProwlerMonarchPass-P1010480.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 34
  • Truck&CamperAtGasStationSmall.jpg
    Truck&CamperAtGasStationSmall.jpg
    533.1 KB · Views: 33

Bones

Check out this new page I created today. I hope it will help as guide to selecting the best truck classification for your towing needs.

The Basics: What do I Need to Tow it?

I like your page to just get people started. There are so many things to think about. Sometimes I wonder if it would be best for people to choose the camper first that they like and look at the weights then choose the truck. I also think companies should be more upfront as to what the actual pin weights really are. One showing several combinations of pin weights, ie empty, with water, typical compliment of gear and maybe a few other things. Or in this matter they should show what the true pin weight of each rig leaving the factory floor is with a full load of water and water in the system as well.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
If you look at any LM's....they have GWR of 18K. So a 350-3500 DRW is what you will need. You can NEVER have toooo much truck. As for the the DRW "hips"....if the mirrors clear...so do the "hips". I use mine every day as a daily driver (so does the DW} and no problems.

DW_Gray

I like your page to just get people started. There are so many things to think about. Sometimes I wonder if it would be best for people to choose the camper first that they like and look at the weights then choose the truck. I also think companies should be more upfront as to what the actual pin weights really are. One showing several combinations of pin weights, ie empty, with water, typical compliment of gear and maybe a few other things. Or in this matter they should show what the true pin weight of each rig leaving the factory floor is with a full load of water and water in the system as well.

Thank you. Whenever I come across a newbie, I always encourage them to choose the trailer first. Attempting to provide actual pin weights is just not possible. There are too many variables from one family to another. The very best that can be done is to always use the 25% method. That is, calculate the pin weight to be 25% of the trailer's GVWR. (Some people like to use the national average of 20%.) Reading the manufacturer's dry weight and dry pin weight has very little value in the real world.

But why do that? Knowing the max pin weight isn't helpful if the person doesn't really know how to use it. When calculating the the tow vehicle's realistic towing capacity, it requires two formulas. Most people only know one formula and then assume that if the pin weight doesn't exceed the rear GAWR, they're good to go. Unfortunately, that doesn't work out so well because the GVWR was ignored.

To keep things simple and safe, basing the max towing capacity is best when using only the trailer's GVWR. But I think some people prefer to tow on the edge of the limits, based on their choices.

Nbomar

I pulled my road warrior 415 for almost a year with a platinum f250 with airbags. I still see tons of triple axle toyhaulers doing it. Is it legal. No way! With that being said, I never felt out of control or unsafe with my family with me. We did end up upgrading to a gmc dually. If I would have had a blow out on the rear tires of the truck it probably would have gotten squirly. If you just want a truck, I'm sure a 3500 SRW will do for what you are wanting. You might be overweight and susceptible to a ticket if the highway patrol ever stopped you. I've never seen an RV getting scaled though.

justafordguy

I pulled my road warrior 415 for almost a year with a platinum f250 with airbags. I still see tons of triple axle toyhaulers doing it. Is it legal. No way! With that being said, I never felt out of control or unsafe with my family with me. We did end up upgrading to a gmc dually. If I would have had a blow out on the rear tires of the truck it probably would have gotten squirly. If you just want a truck, I'm sure a 3500 SRW will do for what you are wanting. You might be overweight and susceptible to a ticket if the highway patrol ever stopped you. I've never seen an RV getting scaled though.

In my state as long as you aren't over your trucks registration weight or rear tire weight you are legal. ;)