Considering used Heartland Sundance fiver

Hi all, first post here, as I do not yet own a Heartland.

I am considering a 2009 Heartland Sundance M-2998RB. It is about 3 hours from me, and I was wondering if there is anything specific in this model I should look for, such as any known issues that this particular model may have.

It has some factory extras, 16 inch wheels on 6000lb axles with shocks, the bigger 15K btu AC, the 8 cu. ft. fridge, ceiling fan, tv, outside shower, and air mattress sofa bed. I have never had an air mattress sofa bed, are they good/bad/indifferent?

I will be towing with a 2015 F-350 CCLB 6.7. It looks like the truck should easily be up to it, I currently have a 1994 Starcraft 250RK, and other then using more fuel I can't tell its back there.

Might anybody know the pin height on this? I want a rig that rides level enough that I could park overnight without un-hooking. My old starcraft has its nose about 8 inches high when its on the truck, and I can't adjust it down because of the bed rail height.

jimtoo

Hi dwyleecoyote,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and hopefully to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

The air mattress bed is something you might check. I think some folks had a problem with getting the air bag caught in the folding arms or some place and pinching a hole in the bag. Nothing else that was an ongoing thing that I can think of.

If you get the Sundance be sure and check out our Heartland Owners Club. Join us at a rally when you can and meet lots of the great folks here and make friends for a lifetime.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

mlburst1

Hi dwyleecoyote,

You will probably need rear airbags on your F350 to level out the rig.

Check the tires to be sure the original Towmax "China bombs" have been replaced - Maxxis makes a good replacement if needed.

As far as the air mattress sofa, ours has been used numerous times and everyone comments on the comfort. Be sure to deflate it completely and put it back in it's storage bag and you won't have any problems.

Good luck with the Sundance - we love ours.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
We started our Heartland experience in a 2006 Sundance. We kept it for over a year without any major problems pulling it with a 3/4 ton truck. Truck didn't even know it was behind it. Since then we have had 2 Big Countrys and now a Landmark.

CaptnJohn

There is an inspection checklist here that most use prior to taking delivery of a new camper or new to you camper. Use it, check everything.
Hi all, first post here, as I do not yet own a Heartland.

I am considering a 2009 Heartland Sundance M-2998RB. It is about 3 hours from me, and I was wondering if there is anything specific in this model I should look for, such as any known issues that this particular model may have.

It has some factory extras, 16 inch wheels on 6000lb axles with shocks, the bigger 15K btu AC, the 8 cu. ft. fridge, ceiling fan, tv, outside shower, and air mattress sofa bed. I have never had an air mattress sofa bed, are they good/bad/indifferent?

I will be towing with a 2015 F-350 CCLB 6.7. It looks like the truck should easily be up to it, I currently have a 1994 Starcraft 250RK, and other then using more fuel I can't tell its back there.

Might anybody know the pin height on this? I want a rig that rides level enough that I could park overnight without un-hooking. My old starcraft has its nose about 8 inches high when its on the truck, and I can't adjust it down because of the bed rail height.

Garypowell

Get the vin and search both the web and call heartland they might be able to give you some history on the unit.

Ask the the owner for copies of all his maintenance receipts to see how well he took care of it. If he say "never had any trouble with it" I would run from the deal. Not complaining but you should know any 5th wheel can be like a second job.

MurrayN.

I don't know about this particular model, but we had a 2010 Sundance 3300RLB. We used it for seven seasons and never once took it back to the dealership for any reason. A perfect rv for the time that we owned it. I did all of the wheel bearing maintenance myself so I wouldn't have any maintenance records to show anyone else either. But if you give it a good inspection you will quickly see if it was taken care of or not. Best of luck.

Get the vin and search both the web and call heartland they might be able to give you some history on the unit.

Ask the the owner for copies of all his maintenance receipts to see how well he took care of it. If he say "never had any trouble with it" I would run from the deal. Not complaining but you should know any 5th wheel can be like a second job.

I like that. Yes, it may be a second job, but the boss lets you have beer while you do it!

I have been around trailers my whole life, started with a 1984 Jayco, so I am familiar with the usual stuff. I have heard of the checklist, I will get my hands on it for sure this time, as I have never spent this much on something used. The guy did say he had to fix a few things here and there, the only major thing being the front jacks. He said the original gear box stripped, and he changed out the whole system to a dual motor type, and oversized it. He says the tires are new, I don't know what kind yet. I have yet to go look at it, as I am waiting for the underwriter at the bank to figure out value and give me what terms they will offer.

I have started looking at fifth wheel hitches. My truck has fifth wheel/gooseneck prep, and my current RV had been converted to gooseneck, so that one was easy. Lots of hitches to choose from, and apparently a few people convert there rig to a goose neck by way of a goosebox or adapter? I like the goose because it is easy to take in and out, but it sure would be easier to line up a fifth wheel plate. Any words of wisdom either way?

Nabo

Check the manufacturer date on the tires. The gentlemen says that the tires are new and they might be for him 3 years ago but now. Tires are the biggest headaches for any camper owner.

Check the manufacturer date on the tires. The gentlemen says that the tires are new and they might be for him 3 years ago but now. Tires are the biggest headaches for any camper owner.

I was planning to, thank you.

I have not looked at this in person yet, I am having trouble finding financing terms I like. The problem isn't me or my credit, my credit is excellent. The problem is banks either won't have a long enough term, or they disagree on the value of the RV. I just had one bank tell me that they will only go by "wholesale trade in value", and they are 6 grand under NADA, and 5 grand under his asking price! Any suggestions?

Nabo

If you use the title for collateral, yes you are correct on financing on this old of a camper. If I was you, I would do a straight loan in your name only. The interest might be a little higher on a signature loan but this way you will have a clear title. Downfall is that you can not use the loan as a first or second mortgage.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I just had one bank tell me that they will only go by "wholesale trade in value", and they are 6 grand under NADA, and 5 grand under his asking price! Any suggestions?
Offer the seller 6 grand less than the asking price.

Peace
Dave

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I looked at this a few minutes ago. Everything looks really nice and clean. I see no signs of trouble. But I have one question. The area above the pin, shown in the picture, doesn't seem to have firm backing like the rest of the walls do. Is this normal?

Attachments

• tmp_17834-DSC_13991493095008.jpg
    tmp_17834-DSC_13991493095008.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 68

danemayer

I looked at this a few minutes ago. Everything looks really nice and clean. I see no signs of trouble. But I have one question. The area above the pin, shown in the picture, doesn't seem to have firm backing like the rest of the walls do. Is this normal?

The area pictured is a thin material which I believe is called Filion. It wraps from the pin, around and down along the front storage compartment. It's not the same as sidewall construction.

Well, I bought it. I have to wait for the banks to do their thing, and then get a weekend with decent weather to go get it. It's more then I need, but I got the deal right, and I shouldn't need anything bigger. I am working on ordering a hitch. I was looking at the curt Q20, to fit my factory ford rails, but I am trying to figure out if there is any reason not to get a Q24.... I don't need the extra capacity, but it is not very much more money.

CaptnJohn

Congrats and best of luck!!!!
Well, I bought it. I have to wait for the banks to do their thing, and then get a weekend with decent weather to go get it. It's more then I need, but I got the deal right, and I shouldn't need anything bigger. I am working on ordering a hitch. I was looking at the curt Q20, to fit my factory ford rails, but I am trying to figure out if there is any reason not to get a Q24.... I don't need the extra capacity, but it is not very much more money.

Sigh.... 50 degrees today, wish I was picking it up today. 10 degrees and salt caked roads by next weekend... May have to wait a while.

Okay, last post for this thread, since I am no longer a prospective owner. Most of the camper is home. A huge gust of wind that rocked the whole rig managed to knock the awning loose- it was a little scary. Most of it is stuffed in the storage compartment, and the 18 foot long tube had to be abandoned along the road- no way to bring home. The new one will have extra safety straps.DSC_1461.jpgDSC_1467.jpg