Gps

CaptnJohn

Garmin makes a GPS for RVs. Put your info (weight, height, length, etc) and it keeps you out of trouble. It can be set for travel without the RV too. 7" screen which is a good size. You can get it with a wireless camera too. I bought it (no camera) and like it. BTW ~~ lifetime updates too.
What is your suggestion for the best gps for rv's.

Happy Camping

olcoon

I'm about to buy the Garmin RV 760LMT. I've had several Garmin units in the past & personally think they are the best GPS units out there. CW & other places sell the Rand McNally RV GPS, but I've heard a lot of bad reports on them. Magellan also sells GPS units, don't know if they have one especially for RV's or not, but I've heard some people weren't happy with them also.

Garmin's RV GPS is basically their DEZEL GPS for truckers & the software has been revamped for RV's. is Garmin's website. They actually have 3 models, the 660 (new with a smaller screen), the 760, and a 760 with back-up camera. I've read mixed results of the back-up camera. HERE is Garmin's website. In a past "Heartland Highlights" newsletter one of our forum members TxBobcat did an extensive review of the 760.

olcoon

THIS is the link to the review of the RV 760LMT that was in the Heartland Highlights. Also, if you do an advanced search for GPS, you will get a bunch of threads.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I have a Rand McNally RVND 5510 . . .

As with any GPS unit, it has taken me down the wrong road a couple of times, but I really do like it's features!

I can find all of the important stuff with the POI's . . .

Liquor stores (most important, of course :eek: ), RV repair shops and dealerships, WalMart, Camping World, campgrounds, state parks, gas stations, restaurants . . . and more!

Plus all of the stuff like low bridge height warnings, dirt roads, toll roads . . .

When I get a new one, it will be at least a 7 inch screen as the 5 inch screen is a little small.

When our previous trailer broke down last year in Phoenix, it was the Rand McNally GPS that found the repair shop only one mile away!

MTPockets

Get the Garmin RV 760... Much better than the Rand Mcnalley. We've had both and liked the Rand functions, but the actual quality was bad... We kept having battery issues, having to reboot, bad response from Rand, while Garmin is flawless.. We've had several Garmin models over the years and never had any issues. Ours came also with free lifetime updates which we have done a couple times to stay current.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
We have the Garmin 760. It's ok. It'll get you where you want to go but I still use the good old Rand McNally road atlas to plan my route. If necessary I'll plug the address into the gps to pinpoint the location and guide me the last few miles

I like my iPhone maps too for the location of businesses and alternate routes that my Garmin does not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

avvidclif

I have the Rand for one reason. It allows entry of custom POI's. Garmin doesn't. My wife and I are VFW members and I have a list of Texas VFW's that I have entered as custom POI's.

When looking I considered the Rand and Garmin both. Features are about the same as is size. POI's made the difference.

Oh, if anyone with a Rand wants to get rid of all the Vet offices that show up as POI's let me know. It can be done

JohnD

I have the Rand for one reason. It allows entry of custom POI's. Garmin doesn't. My wife and I are VFW members and I have a list of Texas VFW's that I have entered as custom POI's.

When looking I considered the Rand and Garmin both. Features are about the same as is size. POI's made the difference.

Oh, if anyone with a Rand wants to get rid of all the Vet offices that show up as POI's let me know. It can be done

The custom POI's are what made me decide on the Rand . . .

It is amazing all of the different stuff you can look up with the POI's!

I generally plug mine in to the computer and update it at least once a month.

Mine didn't come with the lifetime maps, but I did purchase them!

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I have the Rand for one reason. It allows entry of custom POI's. Garmin doesn't.
I can load custom POI's in my Garmin using POI Loader and accessing POI Factory.
Although no longer available I use Streets and Trips to plan my route, create a GPX file and upload to my Garmin. Works really nice.
There are a lot of options out there.

Peace
Dave

MikeR

I also have the Garmin RV 760LMT. I also load custom POI's into my GPS. On an extended trip this summer I got a little upset when the GPS had me going through city neighborhoods to get to a couple of campgrounds, when there were more direct ways. In speaking with Garmin customer service, they told me that routing was the same whether you were in RV or Auto mode.

MTPockets

I also have the Garmin RV 760LMT. I also load custom POI's into my GPS. On an extended trip this summer I got a little upset when the GPS had me going through city neighborhoods to get to a couple of campgrounds, when there were more direct ways. In speaking with Garmin customer service, they told me that routing was the same whether you were in RV or Auto mode.
I've had that routing come up on occasion with the Rand as well as the Garmin.. Sometimes I've re-set it for fastest route, then to shortest route to check the difference. You can also set avoidances. It will use the logic you have set. At times, neither matches my logic... That's the nature of GPS.

olcoon

I think the downfall of all GPS units, no matter who makes it is that the mapping from what I understand comes from a 3rd party. On top of that when talking to a tech at Garmin, he somewhat indicated that basically all of them use the same company for their mapping/routing programs. Personally I think it would be a daunting job putting every road, street, highway in the entire US, not to mention Canada, Mexico, and all of the other countries into a computer. Then program a route from point A to point B, and have it come out perfect every time. Can a GPS fail to be correct sometimes, dang right they can & do. Do you want to stake your life that it will preform flawlessly every time? If you do, I've got some bridges & beach front property for sale.

I choose Garmin from past experience, I have been using their units for about 20 years, and have bought about 8 units in that time for different purposes. Garmin units haven't let me down. Sure there have been a few times when I've been led astray, but it hasn't been gross & I survived even though it was aggravating. Garmin has free software updates for the unit, and lifetime map & traffic updates. Granted the map & traffic updates are probably available with other brands. On top of that if you have an issue, or a question Garmin's tech support folks are great, and will take the time to get you through your issue...and it's FREE and good for the life of your unit.

Bottom line, if you want a GPS, do your research, read the reviews, and make the best decision you can based on what you've learned. Personally, I doubt that I'll own another brand other than Garmin!

AAdams

We went with the Garmin RV760LMT. I also have a subscription to a low clearance web site so I load an addition data base of low clearance bridges. If the Garmin does route me to a location that the bridge is too low, the custom POI will alert me 10 miles before I get to the bridge. I like the large screen, voice activated, Lifetime maps and traffic, etc. We do use the bean bag mount, works pretty well.

olcoon

Well, I finally ordered the RV 760LMT, and it arrived. Took a while to figure it out enough, and somewhat personalize it, so I can use it. Used it for the first time today, and I'm impressed. No comparison between it & the Nuvi 750 that I had been using, especially since the Nuvi is over 10 years old, can't replace the battery, & it's on it's last legs.

I really like the feature that tells & shows you which lane to be in when exiting the road you are on, a lot of times, it even comes up with what looks like a photo of the exit! So far I'm thinking this was a wise investment!

JohnD

That is one thing the Rand McNally does NOT DO . . . tell you what lane to be in!

We used a friend's Tom Tom when we were in Florida awhile back and it did that . . . a very nice feature!

chiefneon

Howdy!

As Fulltimer's for several years now we have been using Co-pilot gps app on tablet and smartphone. It has a RV setting you can set the height of your RV up to 13'. Our now Cyclone 4000 is 13'6" so we purchased the Truck version of Co-pilot. I like to use my Smsung tablet with a large screen hole towing the 5er. We use the smartphone in the car. If you have a tablet with gps or smartphone I see no need to purchase a stand alone gps.

https://copilotgps.com/us/personal/android.asp

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon