My turn for a dumb question

jhardin

I am installing a progressive EMS-LCHW50 to my BH 3585 RL. If I mount it on basement wall. Is this where I connect it (shore line in) on auto transfer relay? Where is the green wire (6/4)? I am going to buy about 5ft of 6/4wire. I am going to take existing shore into surge protector and 5ft bought 6/4 out of surge protector to transfer switch. Again, where's the green go?
Thanks Jerry

danemayer

I've attached a picture from the installation manual, which should be helpful.

Some people install the EMS after the transfer switch so that a transfer switch or generator fault is detected by the EMS.

One cautionary note. If you're unsure about electrical wiring and safety practices, you might be better off having someone install this for you. If you get it wrong, you could cause significant damage to your rig or to yourself.

Attachments

• Progressive EMS-HW50C wiring.pdf
    153.1 KB · Views: 116

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
The green (ground) from your shore cable gets attached to the inside wall of the EMS case (see Dan's photo). The green (ground) from the cable running between the EMS to your transfer switch also gets attached to the inside wall of the case. There is a metal "buss" along the inside wall to tie the grounds together inside the EMS.

jhardin

I understand. about the surge grd. My question is about the shore grd at transfer relay box, just red, wht,blk,and solid bare grd.in and out on bus bar. No grn grd. I will have to send pics later, phone won't let me.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 90
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 90
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 87

danemayer

The shore power wiring should go straight to the transfer switch. The wiring diagram on the top cover of the transfer switch indicates that the center of the 3 wires is neutral. In your picture that might be white. The bare copper is ground.

jhardin

Thanks everyone!,
Dan, you say some have put their proctor between transfer switch and load? Even though I don't have a generator, would it matter or be best too?
A few more questions, Do you think I could put a plug (on the end of the pre wired gen box) up front, and if power were to go off, l could just plug portable gen into that plug? If power were to come on while gen was running, would it transfer?

danemayer

Thanks everyone!,
Dan, you say some have put their proctor between transfer switch and load? Even though I don't have a generator, would it matter or be best too?
A few more questions, Do you think I could put a plug (on the end of the pre wired gen box) up front, and if power were to go off, l could just plug portable gen into that plug? If power were to come on while gen was running, would it transfer?

The transfer switch is a potential point of failure, even without a generator. So in my opinion the best placement of the EMS would be after the transfer switch.

You can install a plug or receptacle at the junction box in the front compartment. The wiring in the junction box is for 2 hot legs, same as in the transfer switch. If the generator has only one hot leg (typical for a small generator), you'll need to tie both hot legs of the junction box wiring to the single hot wire of the generator. That's the same as what happens if you plug your 50 amp shore power cord into a 30 amp receptacle. The adapter ties the 2 hot legs to the single hot leg.

As long as the transfer switch sees 120V on L1, it will activate the contactors inside the transfer switch. If you've tied the wiring correctly, the switch will activate and both legs going to the circuit breaker panel will have power. If you have power to 1/2 of the outlets, or if the transfer switch doesn't activate, you may have not tied the power lines correctly.

Things to watch for: 1) You don't want to have plugs that could be energized when unplugged. Safety hazard. 2) You may have to provide a bond between neutral and ground at the generator. The transfer switch may or may not do this for you. If power from the generator doesn't get through the EMS, you should read this article.

sengli

My big horn has so much extra line in the basement of the rig, I didnt have buy any extra wiring to install the device. I would definetly advise anyone to make sure and mount it off the floor of the basement in case of a leak.

Attachments

• IMAG0253.jpg
    IMAG0253.jpg
    220.7 KB · Views: 61

COCHRAN

Power surge yesterday, internal surge protector in unit, not resetting. Power from post, but not in unit. Heartland Landmark 5er 2015

danemayer

Power surge yesterday, internal surge protector in unit, not resetting. Power from post, but not in unit. Heartland Landmark 5er 2015

Surge protectors are sometimes viewed as "sacrificial" meaning that a big enough surge, power spike, lightning strike, can burn out the internal links in the surge protector.

Your Landmark may have a combination transfer switch/surge protector. If you're comfortable working around high current electrical devices, you can take down the rear wall of the pass through basement storage, door side, and check for damage. Unplug the power cord from the park pedestal before opening things.

Here's a link to the unit you likely have, with some info that may help.