Wiring Inverter into Mallard M27

My wife and I just purchased and new 2016 Heartland Mallard M27. I'm thinking about how to install an inverter in the bedroom so we can run a CPAP machine while boondocking. Does anyone have any thoughts on the best way to get the wiring from the batteries through the storage box into the bedroom?

Thanks.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Depending on where it is located your might be able to tap into the 12 volt fuse panel, get an DC adapter for the CPAP and skip the inverter.
Just one thought.

Peace
Dave

jbeletti

I see the bedroom is up front near the A-frame. I can only assume the battery box is on the A-frame behind the propane tanks. In this case, I'd run heavy black and red battery cables from the battery, into the storage compartment under the bed and wire in the inverter there. Then distribute AC power from the inverter, up into the cabinets on either side of the bed. Add a battery cut-off switch for the inverter on the battery box.

That all said, I agree with cookie, if you can, order DC adapters for your CPAPs (here's the cords we got for ours) and run them directly from the 12 volt supply.
shielded-dc-cord-60-series.JPG

Inverters are not 100% efficient and will use more battery than power the CPAPs directly from DC power. If you're running 2 and they have heated humidifiers - they draw a bit of power. In the DC scenario, I'd run heavy black and red battery cables from the battery, into the storage compartment under the bed to a small fused distribution block. Then distribute DC power from the distribution block, up into the cabinets on either side of the bed.
Marinco Contour Battery Master Switch 701.jpg Red Battery Cable.jpg Black Battery Cable.jpg Blue Sea Systems 5025.jpg12 VDC Receptacle.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the inputs. I didn't know I could get a 12 VDC power cord for the CPAP machine. I never considered that as an option.