Inverter/Charger Stacking

Bohemian

Is anyone stacking their inverter/chargers.

Stacking is having two (2) compatible inverter/chargers linked together to cooperate in providing up to twice the power or charging capability.

An example would be linking together 2 Xantrex Freedom SW 3012 to get up to 6kw of inverted ac and up tp 300 amps of 12v charging.

Obviously, this would olny be useful with a very large battery bank.

A 50 amp park service provides 12kw of power, twice the stacked system would provide and 4 times single unstacked 3kw inverter would provide.

Any comments or experience will be appreciated. Use would obviously be for boondocking. A solar system would also be installed.

Bohemian

Re: Inverter/Charger Stack8ng

What do you plan on doing-- welding?

Well, if we need 12kw (50 amp) service when in a campground, then what do we need when boondoc0ing?

AC seems the biggest usage and difficult without a genset. Certainly too much for solar?

So how much power is needed for everything except AC?

That is basically the question. We certainly have demanded more than 30 amp when connected.

Bohemian

Re: Inverter/Charger Stack8ng

Also, having a 6kw stack of inverters with hybrid capability (inverters and genset both providing power together when needed) gives 11.5kw peak power just Ike being connected to the 50 amp servce. Thus full peak power capability while boondocking.

So, the question. When would the be useful?

Bogie

The way this needs to be approached is from a power management point of view. How much do you need when boondocking?

First you need to know how much you use when attached to shore power. Probably not 12 KW even with everything running. You can get a reasonable measurement with the right meter. But the likelihood that you will be running everything at the same time is probably pretty low.

Although I only have 30 amp in my rig, I have a generator that is capable of running my AC. Just not with everything else running. The converse is that I can also run everything without the AC.

As I said its about power management.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

avvidclif

From an electrical point of view the units you stack have to be designed to do that. You can't just hook 2 outputs together, they have to "talk" to each other and share the load equally. Otherwise one will try and carry all the load. Ohm Law applies here.

Bohemian

From an electrical point of view the units you stack have to be designed to do that. You can't just hook 2 outputs together, they have to "talk" to each other and share the load equally. Otherwise one will try and carry all the load. Ohm Law applies here.

Correct. Thus, I mentioned units tat stack.