2015 elkridge roof warping

I have a 2015 elkridge e30 I've been on my roof serveral times in the last 9 months to wash and check everything. Well about a week ago I got up there to sweep some snow off of it and noticed it really wavy and warping up. I call the dealer set up a time to take it there for him to look at it. We come to the conclusion that it wasn't properly fasten to the roof frame. Warranty is claiming water damage but I've never had a leak nor do I think water caused it because it is 3/4 of the roof doing it. We took the skylight down in the bathroom to kinda look at it and there's a 3/4 inch gap between the wood and trusses and screws that missed the trusses. Anyone ever had this problem? Seems like there just trying to get out of paying even though it's a manufacture defect

- - - Updated - - -

I can't figure out how to post pics. I have some showing the gap between plywood and trusses and also of it warping. It's pulling up on the side of the roof and stretching the roof material I'm scared its gonna rip it then I will have some serious problems

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
I would contact HL service yourself with some pix to email to them. Make sure you have your VIN# handy. Never believe what a dealer tells you.

Warranty wanted a few more pics. Dealer told me that if they still claimed water damage and wasn't willing to fix it he would have me call them. Hope to hear something back from him in the next couple days

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
I have a 2015 elkridge e30 I've been on my roof serveral times in the last 9 months to wash and check everything. Well about a week ago I got up there to sweep some snow off of it and noticed it really wavy and warping up. I call the dealer set up a time to take it there for him to look at it. We come to the conclusion that it wasn't properly fasten to the roof frame. Warranty is claiming water damage but I've never had a leak nor do I think water caused it because it is 3/4 of the roof doing it. We took the skylight down in the bathroom to kinda look at it and there's a 3/4 inch gap between the wood and trusses and screws that missed the trusses. Anyone ever had this problem? Seems like there just trying to get out of paying even though it's a manufacture defect

- - - Updated - - -

I can't figure out how to post pics. I have some showing the gap between plywood and trusses and also of it warping. It's pulling up on the side of the roof and stretching the roof material I'm scared its gonna rip it then I will have some serious problems

To post pictures, click on Reply, then click on Advanced, scroll down to Manage Attachments, select the pictures you want, upload them, and there you have it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danemayer

Am I seeing some discoloration of the wood - and perhaps some swelling. Like maybe the wood has been wet.

It does look like it but that is around the skylight it keeps moisture in it from hot and cold. Still doesn't effect the roof not being screwed down properly

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Yes and no on the water damage. Hard to tell the way they make OSB. Kinda like the soup at the Mess Hall on Sunday. Whatever the cooks had left over from the rest of the week went into the pot. Screws missing the mark...not that uncommon.

The screw is the big issue here!!!!

thats my thinking also. I can only see right around the opening of the skylight and what I can see is missed screws and gaps between the trusses and osb. Don't see how they could say I caused that and wasn't a defect

- - - Updated - - -

Another

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 69

justafordguy

X2, the OSB they use on these things is crap and always looks like that. They just missed enough screws that there is nothing to hold the wood down. Certainly not your fault. The trailer is new, Heartland needs to fix it.

donr827

On our previous SOB the rubber roof started coming up. All of the caulking was in good condition. The problem was caused by the way the manufacturer attached the roof around the front a/c. My repair shop took pictures and called the manufacturer and talked with the man in charge of warranties. They admitted that they screwed up on the application of the glue and authorized a new roof and replacement of any damaged wood.
Don

agpopp

Could use screwed down better, but they may have done that to keep alignment with the next sheet and that may have been too high because of a bad truss. If you start digging, you may have to get down to the frame to fix it right. My advice, keep an eye on it and enjoy it. And the OSB they use is just off the shelf stuff, I've taken a few rv's apart and have seen the markings and such.
Good luck with whatever you choose.

These spots are what I'm worried about. If it was just wavy I wouldn really care but these spots are gonna eventually tear the roof. And with it being under 9 months old I want it right.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 48

agpopp

These spots are what I'm worried about. If it was just wavy I wouldn really care but these spots are gonna eventually tear the roof. And with it being under 9 months old I want it right.

Now thats a good picture. That is a problem for sure and if its like what I found on my 07 Sundance last night I know what it is. I had a leak like I'm about to post about, and I cut a few inspection flaps above the leak and found the osb does not reach the edge of the roof and never did since day one. I shot some 1 1/4 deck screws into the 1x2 top plate so to speak to hold it down. Now mine is 10 years old, but it doesn't look that bad. I think they will have no issue fixing that for you

Still haven't heard anything from warranty. Found another problem now the tubs pee trap is leaking. I've made my mine up I'll never buy another heartland their junk and don't wanna warranty or take blame for building junk

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
As far as the tub "P" trap leaking, tighten it up. A RV bouncing down the road with loosen things. They are not a S/B house. Things like a leaking "P" trap can and will happen to any RV not just a Heartland. We have had many RV's and they need checking and maintaining. Your roof is a whole other thing.

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
If I labeled our rig junk and went and bought another brand every time a p-trap vibrated loose, I would be able to tell you a story about every brand of RV out there as I would have owned them all by now. The p-trap was leaking under the shower our first trip out with our new rig. Your roof is another story for certain, but it is unfair IMO to let these issues ruin your enjoyment of your rig. I can hear your frustration. In the 9 months before you found the roof issue did you get to use your rig at all? Did you enjoy your time in it if you did get to use it?