Leak found and fixed

agpopp

After inspecting my roof on Sunday on my 2007 Sundance that I picked up last month, I found the roof had never been maintained except for someone putting useless silicone on a few spots, and I found the rear streetside corner totally rotten under the roof in about a 12 x 12 area.
I ordered some eternabond and had some dicor on hand, so when it hit 60 yesterday I got to work. I cut the roof in an L shape about 2 inches from the side and rear wall and used my multitool to cut out what was left of the bad part. I made a nailer and cleaned out what I could and laid down some adhesive caulk. I put the new wood down and screwed it in, then used spray adhesive to hold the flap down and taped all of the seams. Good solid repair, I knew the coach needed tlc, and it was priced accordingly. Here is a pic or 2 of the results.
It's a shame someone was too lazy to get on the roof for some basic maintenance over the last 10 years. I also hit the skylight edges with tape and dicored the vents and ladder where the sealant was pulling away.
Check those roofs! And dont use silcone!

jbeletti

It is sad that one buys an RV thinking they never need to get on the roof or have someone get up their to inspect and touch up caulking etc a couple times a year - especially in 10 year! When that is not done, the caulking shrinks and creates area for water to come in and do as you found.

Great work on your part! Hoping your find inspires others to get up there and inspect their roof, windows, clearance lights, vents etc.