Ford F-350 srw rim load ratings

Donhutch1800

I have just had a second after market rear wheel fracture and leak air out.The wheels are rated at 3500 lbs each.We have a landmark San Antonio.Has anyone else had this problem.Going to weigh rear axile with trailer loaded and see what it weighs.

z06

I have just had a second after market rear wheel fracture and leak air out.The wheels are rated at 3500 lbs each.We have a landmark San Antonio.Has anyone else had this problem.Going to weigh rear axile with trailer loaded and see what it weighs.

Any Idea what the rating of OEM wheels are?

hoefler

With the weight your trailer, you could be overloading the wheel lateraly when cornering or going around a curve, and the wheel may not be designed for the load of the sideways push and weight transfer.

Last edited:

MTPockets

With the weight your trailer, you could be overloading the wheel lateraly when cornering or going around a curve, and the wheel is may not designed for the load of the sideways push and weight transfer.
We once had a 2011 F350 SRW. The factory rim was 18" and the optional rim was 20". I recall that with the 20" rim they lowered the tow rating.. That lateral stress may be why for the rim they used. There may be stronger aftermarket rims, but it should be verified.

Donhutch1800

My wheels are made by Fuel and they are 20" wheels with a load rating of 3500 lbs.Best I can tell that's the same ratings on the factory 20 inch wheels.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I was just looking at my RVSEF weighing record and noticed that when I am hitched up I have 3,750 on one rear side dually and 3,600 on the other. That puts my rear axle at 7,350 when hitched.
I do have 3,500 pounds of pin weight and I am guessing that my truck is a bit heavier than yours.
So depending on your weights there is a chance that your 3,500 pound rated rims may be overloaded.

Peace
Dave

Bones

one thought with your wheels. If you have wider rims with a large lip there is a chance that when you drive and corner you may be stressing that outer lip too much and over time you work harden the rims and they eventually crack. Where is the crack happening on the rim?

Last edited:

danemayer

My RVSEF weigh-in report also shows 3700 and 3800 on the rear wheels of the truck. Towing a 2011 Landmark Rushmore.

lwmcguir

We are a bit lighter with the Augusta and with just shy of 80K towing no issues with the 20" SRW from Ford. I bought a second set as over the years I have worn out many alloy wheels while towing.
Gave them a good inspection when installing new Michelins at 55K and they are holding up very well so many never need the second set of wheels.