Bad Regulator?

ddemetz

So the single stage LP gas regulator (GR-630) is leaking propane from the bleed valve (bottom pinhole). Does that mean that the diaphragm inside of it is bad or could it be a number of other things?

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
Regardless why, replace it! Propane leaks are dangerous. That one is cheap and easy to replace.

Bones

So the single stage LP gas regulator (GR-630) is leaking propane from the bleed valve (bottom pinhole). Does that mean that the diaphragm inside of it is bad or could it be a number of other things?
Mine went bad replace it immediately. It is considered a high pressure regulator. It regulates down to 30 psi. You need to have it in place to be able to use your tanks.

danemayer

Turn off the tank attached to that regulator. Make sure your dual regulator is pointed at the other tank.

Replace the leaking regulator and get a new pigtail at the same time.

Bones

Turn off the tank attached to that regulator. Make sure your dual regulator is pointed at the other tank.

Replace the leaking regulator and get a new pigtail at the same time.
That didn't work for mine. When it went bad I couldn't turn any tank on. It leaked from the regulator even with the other tank on and valve switched.

danemayer

That didn't work for mine. When it went bad I couldn't turn any tank on. It leaked from the regulator even with the other tank on and valve switched.

You may have more than 1 problem. The dual regulators are designed so that you can switch to the active tank, cutting flow to/from the inactive tank. That design allows you to disconnect the inactive tank without having propane flow out of the disconnected pigtail.

Bones

You may have more than 1 problem. The dual regulators are designed so that you can switch to the active tank, cutting flow to/from the inactive tank. That design allows you to disconnect the inactive tank without having propane flow out of the disconnected pigtail.
Are you suggesting that my automatic switch regulator is bad? If so How would I be able to check that? everything works as it should now after I replaced the 30 psi regulator. I think the system needs to have pressure to work and when the regulator went bad the system was unable to build pressure.

danemayer

Are you suggesting that my automatic switch regulator is bad? If so How would I be able to check that? everything works as it should now after I replaced the 30 psi regulator. I think the system needs to have pressure to work and when the regulator went bad the system was unable to build pressure.

I'm saying that when it's time to fill an empty tank, you don't want to disconnect it and have propane flowing/leaking/spewing out of the disconnected pigtail. A working dual regulator that's set to the correct position won't allow that.

If you had a previous leak on one side, and it still leaked with the tank on that side shut off, the leak was coming from the full tank, through the dual regulator. Depending on how you had the dual regulator controls set, that may or may not have been normal.