Air Conditioning for 3500 Bighorn

lheiner

My husband and I recently purchased a 2009 Bighorn, model 3055 and did not get the optional 13.5 K BTU AC, only the standard 15K BTU unit that it comes with in the standard option package. This past weekend, after 2 days of temperatures of 100+, I realize we need to remedy this. Can anyone advise what we should do? Should we install a 13.5 K BTU in the bedroom, get a larger AC and replace the one that was installed at the factory? Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks - Linda

Last edited by a moderator:

jimtoo

Living in South Texas with many days of high temps and humidity, I would recommend that you get a A/C installed in the bedroom. That is what we have. Running both for initial cool down and then at night you would probably only need the one in the living and kitchen area running because it is ducted.

tweber

Founding Wisconsin Chapter Leader-Retired
We have a BH 3600RL and added the bedroom air after 1 year. We went with the Carrier 13.5 BTU because in was about 2" shorter and about 3lb lighter. It also has vents that rotate up and down, and that seems to move more air around the room. We also added the heat strip, but I would have been smarter to go with the heat pump. Any new units will be ordered with the 2 AC units. Good luck on your decision.

Shadowchek

I am also in Ca and we had 4 days over 100 I plugged in our new 3400Rl and set the thermostat at 78 It stayed at that temperature for the duration although we weren't staying in it and going in and out was at a minimum. It would take a long time to cool it if you let it get hot though. I worry about the xtra height with the second a/c maybe I am just paranoid about the height anyways lol. For us we aren't going to be camping in hot areas for the most part so I am not going to sweat it. I realize this was no help just a comment.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
We have the low-profile, 13.500 in the bedroom...won't be without two airs ever again! Makes a world of difference, however it's rather noisy, so we don't run it at night. The ducted unit can handle things after the sun goes down by itself.

As for the height, we are 13'2" and have no clearance problems at all. We did, however, have to mount our Winegard satellite dish on the back, as it would have taken us over 13'6"...not good to be taller than a semi!

kathyo

Generators

If I want to run both A/Cs at the same time on a 3400RL What kind of surge wattage do I need from a generator and how quiet are generators other than Honda's

Kathyo