Slight Water leak in front of Axles

farside291

I have a slight water leak, maybe a 4 inch round puddle, from the cut area of my coroplast (from a previous repair). It seems to leak right under the island, just at the axles, when I fill with fresh water. Everything is dry in the island. Can anyone tell me if the fresh water tank is in that area? I sealed the cut area so I can't look under the coroplast without undoing my repair.

MTPockets

That's where my overflow hose is located, one on each side that drains out when my tank is full. If you don't see the hose sticking out from the coroplast, it may have been pushed up inside. It should stick out.

farside291

No its not the overflows, It seems to drip ever so slightly after I fill. I always overfill my fresh tank so I know what the overflows look like. I seem to always forget to check while filling then it dumps for but 10 minutes. This is just a slight drip under the trailer.

farside291

You know, now that I think about it, if the overflows are right there between the axles the fresh tank has to be there also...Duh. I am guessing I have a leak in the fill line or top of the tank since it seems to only leak after I fill the tank. Guess I will pull my repair off this weekend and stick my head in there while filling and see what I can see.

farside291

I haven't taken the time to check. But it only leaks after I fill. As long as I don't overfill the tank to the point of coming out of the overflows nothing drips on the ground between the axles. Must be something on top of the tank leaking. I don't know what the tank looks like or how the fill port is configured. I am pretty sure it is leaking where it fills if the fill is at the top of the tank.

Dennyha

I'm especially interested because I think I may have a similar issue.

I know now that I have 2 overfill tubes on the non-door side of my Toyhauler. They are in the access for the black tank and gray tank1 shutoff valves. I attached hose extensions to these 2 overfill tubes to direct any water down below the frame and coroplast. So, when I fill my fresh water tanks, I watch these overfill tubes for my signal to shut off the water fill. At the first sign of water, I stop filling the tanks. And the water that comes out of these two tubes is directed out below the campers frame, BUT I will then have water start pouring out by the hydraulic leg just behind the door, on the door side of the camper. This water is running out of the coroplast. The only time I have this water running out (and it will probably run out for about 10 minutes or so) of the coroplast by the middle hydraulic leg is when I fill the fresh water tanks. It would make sense if there were two more overfill tubes up above the coroplast, although I don't understand why there would be more than 2 overfill tubes for the two tanks.

farside291

I have one on the left and one on the right. I don't think I have any more because mine come through the frame. Also, mine is just a slight drip after filling the tank. Have you tried not filling all the way up?

Dennyha

Yes. If I don't fill the tanks, the overfill tubes don't leak. But with 104 gallon tanks, how do you know when they're full? I actually purchased a meter to attach to my fill hose, so I can stop at 95 gallons. The fresh water tank level indicator shows full after about 70 gallons.

It seems reasonable to me that the only way to know you've filled your fresh water tanks (short of buying a meter) is to fill them until water comes out of the overfill. It shouldn't involve flooding the inside of the coroplast floor.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Both of my vents for the FW tank(1 on each side of the rig) are made with pex and a 90* nylon elbow that come through a hole burnt in the frame rail. If there is water running out of the coroplast I'm guessing there is a fitting or cracked tubing that's leaking to some degree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

travelin2

It seems reasonable to me that the only way to know you've filled your fresh water tanks (short of buying a meter) is to fill them until water comes out of the overfill. It shouldn't involve flooding the inside of the coroplast floor.

I fill my FW tank until I have water running out the vent(s), one does so quicker than the other. I added a short piece of tubing I can cap as each tube spurts water. That way my tank is still full when we reach our destination.

farside291

That is exactly the way my overflows are configured. I know I need to drop the coroplast and look but I just hate to cut back into it after I just repaired it from when I had maintenance done on the slide. I don't boondock so I only fill 3/4 by the gauge inside and we only use the tank water to supplement low pressure or when it freezes and the park shuts off the water.

- - - Updated - - -

If you want to find the leak your going to have to cut or unscrew the coroplast and drop it provided you know where the fresh tank is located. It sounds like your leak is a lot worse than mine.

Dennyha

If you want to find the leak your going to have to cut or unscrew the coroplast and drop it provided you know where the fresh tank is located. It sounds like your leak is a lot worse than mine.
I'm thinking the same thing. Instead of removing the coroplast, I was hoping I could cut a big "U" to get access above the coroplast, and then reseal it with Gorilla tape when I'm done. Sound feasible?

HornedToad

Search " trap flap " for a post by one of the moderators to get a u shaped zippered access panel.

danemayer

Make sure the coroplast is really clean before applying them. After installing, you may want to put in a few pop rivets around the edges to minimize any possible peeling caused by airflow.

Dennyha

Make sure the coroplast is really clean before applying them. After installing, you may want to put in a few pop rivets around the edges to minimize any possible peeling caused by airflow.
Thanks for the guidance. I appreciate it.

farside291

I taped it up and sprayed it with that As Seen on TV rubber sealant. Makes for a semi permanent seal and is easy to replace. But, now that I think about it, my leak occurred after I did the repair and the water still dripped through the repair. Hmm, I wonder how much water is trapped behind my repair. Maybe I will peal back a little of my repair and see what comes out.

mlpeloquin

I'm thinking the same thing. Instead of removing the coroplast, I was hoping I could cut a big "U" to get access above the coroplast, and then reseal it with Gorilla tape when I'm done. Sound feasible?

This is what I have done. Clean the coroplast really well and then wipe down with 90 to 95% Isopropyl alcochol. You can get this rubbing alcochol at Walmart pharmacy. Apply the Gorilla tape. I also added a few more self drilling/taping screws with the fender washers. They can be gotten at ACE hardware. Lowe's and Home Depot do not seem to carry the fender washers. If you need to seal around the drain pipes, go to the hardware store and get some aluminum flashing. Use Gorilla tape. It has held up through the rain and all. You can get it off, but it takes a lot of pulling power.

travelin2

This is what I have done. Clean the coroplast really well and then wipe down with 90 to 95% Isopropyl alcochol. You can get this rubbing alcochol at Walmart pharmacy. Apply the Gorilla tape. I also added a few more self drilling/taping screws with the fender washers. They can be gotten at ACE hardware. Lowe's and Home Depot do not seem to carry the fender washers. If you need to seal around the drain pipes, go to the hardware store and get some aluminum flashing. Use Gorilla tape. It has held up through the rain and all. You can get it off, but it takes a lot of pulling power.

FYI-Lowes does have fender washers. Bought this pack recently
6bede8fb51504a47c1f45ffd604bcb64.jpg