Battery charging from Generator ?

Freckles

Founding New York Chapter Leader-Retired
I got a new generator. Does it hurt the converter if I hook up to the battery to charge it well leads or still hooked up ? would this feed back to the converter ? would it be faster to plug in the 5er to the generator instead ?

Forrest Fetherolf

Freckles,
You should not have a problem charging your batteries directly from the generator...............this is no different than when towing, the TV alternator is charging the RV batteries.

Forrest

Freckles

Founding New York Chapter Leader-Retired
DC charge from generator to the battery 10 Amp or plug cord to generator and charge though the converter. what's more effective?

sailorand

Past British Columbia Chapter Leader
the charge from the converter will be far more than the 10 amps from a battery charger. The battery is the one who says how much charge it can take. Usually 10% of the rated capacity is the max charge the battery can take.

flyfishing48

I just plug the shore power cord into the gen with 30 amp to 20 amp adapter. Haven't tried that with the new Sundance yet, but it worked great on previous 5 er. Didn't have to run very long each day to keep the charge up.

snuffy

The converter will charge the battery at a faster rate and your recovery time is much shorter. Since you are running the generator anyway, best to plug shore cable into the generator. The charging feature of generators is for applications where there is otherwise no charger available.

SmokeyBare

Charging by using the generator only... provides no "over-Charge" protection.

Using the converter to charge does protect the batteries from over charging.

Marv

Netem

I just came back from hunting for a week and a half using my gen. I have two batts. and ran my gen. 2 to 3 hours per day and had no problems. I had the trailer plugged into the gen. two 12 volt batts and 5000 watt gen.