PDA

View Full Version : Sidearm choice- for the wife.

JWalker
02-09-2016, 07:37 PM
Looking at upgrading/updating the wife's choice in handgun. She currently has a simple Taurus 38. Very good for several years but showing some wear and play in the cylinder. She has small fingers and grip. Prefers a revolver for its simplicity in loading and safety, but with some practice, I think she would like a semi. Any suggestions??

BLHFUN
02-09-2016, 07:45 PM
Lady smith in 38. Internal hammer, small frame, easy to shoot.

jnbhobe
02-09-2016, 07:49 PM
Ruger LPC380 or S&W Bodyguard 380. I carry a S&W 9mm S&W Shild

kowAlski631
02-09-2016, 08:07 PM
Martha likes her Sig P238.

mrcomer
02-09-2016, 08:12 PM
My Daughter really likes her Ruger LC9S and Glock 43

Doublegranch
02-09-2016, 08:18 PM
There are a lot of places where she can go and try out 10 different weapons during the class. This is the best way as each person is different and each weapon will feel differently for each individual.
Don't buy her a weapon unless she has the ability to shoot it and ensure it is a good fit for her and her hand. Opinions don't matter until you know which weapon she is able to handle properly.

BLHFUN
02-09-2016, 08:55 PM
My Daughter really likes her Ruger LC9S and Glock 43

The Ruger LC9 is what Lory shoots.

cookie
02-09-2016, 09:21 PM
If I were to buy a gun I have heard good things about the Glock 42 and 43.

Peace
Dave

Wmnmy
02-09-2016, 09:33 PM
Ar-15 pistol and 38 special long barrel is DW gun of choice and she is very comfortable with it...

billyjoeraybob
02-09-2016, 10:42 PM
J frame Lady Smith .38/.357 or a Glock 19 9mm. Go to a range that rents various ones and just let her try them out. Most importantly let her decide which one is best for her. Safe travels.

Shortest Straw
02-09-2016, 11:09 PM
My wife and daughter are both shooting Taurus 40 S&W compacts and love them.

weekender01
02-10-2016, 07:08 AM
There are a lot of places where she can go and try out 10 different weapons during the class. This is the best way as each person is different and each weapon will feel differently for each individual.
Don't buy her a weapon unless she has the ability to shoot it and ensure it is a good fit for her and her hand. Opinions don't matter until you know which weapon she is able to handle properly.

This is the best advice out of all the replies. She needs to try various brands and styles to see what works for her.

jmgratz
02-10-2016, 09:53 AM
Martha likes her Sig P238.

x2 on the Sig. The slide is easy to pull back and it is a smooth operating weapon.

JWalker
02-10-2016, 10:13 AM
I know the final decision is hers, but I wanted to get recommendations to try to narrow down the choices. She handles my small framed Taurus PT111 well but there are smaller, thinner gripped options out there.

Lou_and_Bette
02-10-2016, 10:21 AM
Might want to look at the Taurus TCP PT738. Nice shooting, small, semi-auto in .380 cal. and won't break the bank.

avvidclif
02-10-2016, 11:59 AM
Ruger LCP380 with a laser sight. Point and shoot.

porthole
02-10-2016, 02:56 PM
I know the final decision is hers, but I wanted to get recommendations to try to narrow down the choices. She handles my small framed Taurus PT111 well but there are smaller, thinner gripped options out there.

If you were close by we could run over to my club and try several. I have in compact single stack a XDS, Walther PPS and the S&W Bodyguard. I got the Bodyguard for Deb, she will not shoot it. Too small and to snappy for her. I don'e like shooting it as well. Ammo is at least 50% more then 9mm

Tombstonejim
02-10-2016, 03:27 PM
My wife just went thru this. She was carrying a Ruger LCP380. But it hurt her hand to shoot it and she found most semi's to be too hard for her to work the slide without a lot of effort. She tried several revolvers and found the trigger pull on most was too heavy for her. She can shoot them but not as well as she likes. She found the best for her was a hammerless Ruger LCR in 38spc. Lots of people recommended the LCR in 22 mag and she liked it. Specially the recoil but again the trigger pull on the 22 is 2 lbs heaver than the 38 because the rim fire needs a heavier striker and she did not like that. Her final choice was the hammerless LCR in 38. She loads it with Hornady critical defense LITE. A reduced recoil critical defense round http://www.hornady.com/store/38-Special-90-gr-FTX-Critical-Defense-lite/

JanAndBill
02-10-2016, 05:41 PM
If she's dealing with me the "sidearm" of choice is usually a backhand if I'm in range :rolleyes: For others it's a Sig P238 .380. She doesn't have a lot of strength in her hands anymore, and it was the only one she could "comfortably" hold and rack the slide.

avvidclif
02-10-2016, 06:03 PM
My wife just went thru this. She was carrying a Ruger LCP380. But it hurt her hand to shoot it and she found most semi's to be too hard for her to work the slide without a lot of effort. She tried several revolvers and found the trigger pull on most was too heavy for her. She can shoot them but not as well as she likes. She found the best for her was a hammerless Ruger LCR in 38spc. Lots of people recommended the LCR in 22 mag and she liked it. Specially the recoil but again the trigger pull on the 22 is 2 lbs heaver than the 38 because the rim fire needs a heavier striker and she did not like that. Her final choice was the hammerless LCR in 38. She loads it with Hornady critical defense LITE. A reduced recoil critical defense round http://www.hornady.com/store/38-Special-90-gr-FTX-Critical-Defense-lite/

It's a proven fact that in a shooting situation (gunfight) you won't feel recoil nor hear the gun go off. The ability to work the slide is enhanced by adrenaline. Non-factor. Neither my wife or I carry firearms that are not ready to use. IE: just pull the trigger, the slide will take care of itself. None of this not one in the chamber BS.

On the practice range if she can't load the clip or work the slide I help. All I can say is if the red dot's on you start moving FAST.

JWalker
02-10-2016, 06:33 PM
She generally does not have issues with recoil. But where she becomes timid, is barrel flip. If the recoil throws the barrel up in the air hard, she generally does not like the feel of the gun. With her 38, I loaded a light load that she used to practice. Then she ran her Federals HydraShoks through which were a lot more violent but she could handle it. The Federals were not something she wanted to shoot everyday for simple practice.

robwhite61
02-11-2016, 12:32 PM
DW carries the Ruger 9mm revolver prefers it over her Glock 42.

jmgratz
02-12-2016, 09:42 AM

Look at the Sig 380. The slide operates easily. DW found it was about the only one she could operate without difficulty. It is small, compact and shoots great.

BVK
02-12-2016, 11:00 AM
recommend s/w shield 9mm , she tried 380 to much kick , she loves her shield

avvidclif
02-12-2016, 01:16 PM
recommend s/w shield 9mm , she tried 380 to much kick , she loves her shield

Huh???? The 9mm is a hopped up 380 and more kick.

Saildogs
02-13-2016, 07:54 AM
Love my Beretta Nano! It shoots well with 147gr with minimal recoil. I also have hand pain issues and can rack it easily. Also just bought a Kimber Pro Carry II that shoots well and is easy to rack.

Diane

Lynn1130
02-13-2016, 09:54 AM
The 9 mm short or .380 could have more kick, I guess, if the gun is lighter in weight, which it probably is. Most test have considered it "less than adequate" when compared to the 9mm and other larger caliber rounds. It will still do the trick at close range, where most incidents will take place and with good bullet placement can be pretty deadly. The test comes with "good bullet placement" which can be tricky when things get exciting.

I carried one for years as my undercover weapon because it was light and easy to conceal. I was never afraid that it would not do what I needed it to do when I needed it to do it.

jolar3329
02-13-2016, 06:28 PM
My wife likes the ruger LCP .380

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

avvidclif
02-13-2016, 08:06 PM
The 9 mm short or .380 could have more kick, I guess, if the gun is lighter in weight, which it probably is. Most test have considered it "less than adequate" when compared to the 9mm and other larger caliber rounds. It will still do the trick at close range, where most incidents will take place and with good bullet placement can be pretty deadly. The test comes with "good bullet placement" which can be tricky when things get exciting.

I carried one for years as my undercover weapon because it was light and easy to conceal. I was never afraid that it would not do what I needed it to do when I needed it to do it.

22 Short. Most deadly caliber. Years ago was anyway.

Lynn1130
02-14-2016, 11:19 AM
There are also a number of studies on the .22 as a self defense round. Basically the results are that size does matter. The entry wound and the resulting expansion of the bullet and the .22 performs below standard in most all tests including the gel test. Personally, I like the .22 because of what I have seen as results in autopsies in homicide and suicide cases. The bullet fragments and the pieces go in all directions, bouncing off of bone and looking much like a shotgun or snake round blast on x-ray. Would I depend upon it in a life or death situation? Probably not. I would prefer that the perp's last sound would be something loud with a big flash. But that brings up another problem. Night vision with large caliber rounds when the flash blinds you. Few consider the fact that a large caliber round is going to make a very large caliber flash which is going to blind you for any further action.

Selection of the gun is important and needs to be done by the person who is going to shoot it and not from a picture or recommendation of another but from feel on the hip, in the purse or where ever it is stowed as well as in the hand during the draw and coming up on target. But just as important is the caliber because that will determine whether there is ever a second round fired. If it barks too loud, causes too much jump or recoil and too much flash those may mean flinching, blinking, impaired vision and a miss that is deadly, to the gun owner. Because it looks good is, or at least should be, the last of the tests for purchase.

Remember what you select may determine whether you live or die.

Oh, and probably controversial but IMHO if it has an exposed hammer, forget it for a woman's weapon. The hammer will get hung up on something in the purse or a piece of clothing and become worthless.

Lynn1130
02-14-2016, 12:18 PM
I debated whether to edit the above or add an additional reply and since this does not relate to the above, directly I added this.

Do some Internet research on some of the weapons mentioned in this thread and some concerning issues crop up. I am not dissing anyone's choice but research and in-hand trial is important. In the case of the Taurus TCP there is a YouTube video about a trigger/hammer reset problem that causes the gun to malfunction and not fire. The person who made this video is a gun writer who mentioned this to the manufacturer when they asked him to do an article and they found someone else to do the article rather than allow him to mention the problem in his review.

In the case of a Sig model mentioned in this thread, one YouTube video demonstrates how difficult it is to work the slide and mentions that one owner's wife could not work it.

Again, I am not dissing anyone's choice. Rather I suggesting that FULL research be done before buying and that means TRYING.

You can, as the OP wishes get ideas here. Then go to your local Cabelas, Sportsmans, or Bass Pro Shop and try them. The very best way is as mentioned here, find a local range that has and will allow trying different makes, models and calibers.

cookie
02-14-2016, 01:26 PM
Wow, with everybody talking 22's, 44's, 89's, muzzle jumps and everything else I got to thinking. Maybe incorrectly but still thinking.
If one were to use a 22 for self defense would it be incorrect to think that with little muzzle jump one could pump 4 or 5 little pills into the bad guy in about the same time a large caliber would take to recover and get back on target after 1 shot?

Peace
Dave

kowAlski631
02-14-2016, 01:41 PM
In the end, the person using the gun should try it before the purchase. I love my Sig P238 and have no problems with the slide at all. I couldn't work the slide easily on a Taurus that I previously had, so it would have been useless in an emergency. Bottom line is, the ultimate user should find a carry weapon that they feel is 1) an extension of their body, 2) easy to load, 3) easy to conceal, and 4) will take care of business. You will know when you have the right sidearm, don't settle or let anyone tell you what's right or wrong for you.

Martha

Lynn1130
02-14-2016, 01:54 PM
I am a firm believer of "Two to the chest and one to the head". I have never taught anyone to fire once and assess. Fire until the threat is over then assess. My only concern with the .22 is that the threat may not be over until the perp is on you. Then you get it taken away and used on you.

avvidclif
02-14-2016, 03:15 PM
On the 22. I was merely quoting FBI data. More people are killed with a 22 than anything else. And Lynn he won't use my own weapon on me because it will be empty. Anyone that can eat the 10 rounds my baby Glock puts out I will politely hand them the thing and exit stage right, rapidly.

Lynn1130
02-14-2016, 03:41 PM
Understand Cliff and my choice will be to have the second mag reloaded by that time. But these things take place in close quarters and from experience not all 10 will hit the target. Back up, Back up, back up. Give yourself room. Know where the mag release is because if it gets that close you may want to release the mag and fire the last round to avoid having it used on you. At that point I am gone and I can run faster scared that he can mad. If I make enough room I will reload another mag.

There does not seem to be a recent study of caliber and crime. The last that I could find, and one that is old has them in order of use as: .38, .25, .22, 9mm, and .357.

I carry a baby Glock .40 but some very recent studies say that with new ammo out now the 9mm is probably a better round for personal use because the round is as deadly but with lighter recoil and better recovery time.

I have seen this video from several angles as several people were shooting this (pun not intended) and I suggest watching this at your own risk. There is no blood but it is real and how things really happen. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6ST1tB095I

JWalker
02-14-2016, 03:51 PM
Yesterday, I was at a sport show in Harrisburg PA. I talked with Walter, Smith, Sig and more. They all said that the 22 semi was a growing segment of sales. All had different opinions on a 22 being personal protection choice. From a 22 is a better choice than no choice at all. 3 accurately placed 22 shots are better than 3 poorly placed shots from a larger caliber. Some said that you would have better results throwing the shells at your target. A lot of different opinions. Go on YouTube and watch some of the hundreds of videos on the subject.

Lynn1130
02-14-2016, 04:07 PM
Here is one opinion and if I were to go .22 it would be mag.
http://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2015/6/8/the-22-magnum-for-self-defense/

olcoon
02-14-2016, 09:06 PM
I recently ran across Flash Bang holsters (LINK (http://flashbangstore.com)), mainly for women, but they do have some uni-sex ones. The ones for women seem pretty good, at least from a guy's point of view. They fasten onto the middle of their bra. Watched several YouTube videos on them and they looked good. My Sally was even impressed.

As far as using a .22 cal. for personal defense, as far as I'm concerned I'd only use one if a rabbit or squirrel was attacking me! I'm a fan of the larger calibers. Not only do they make a bigger hole, but have a lot more shock to the body which is one of the things that puts a bad guy down. I've heard too many stories of a someone being shot with a .32, .380, and even a 9mm and they keep on coming. Just my personal opinion.

jassson007
02-14-2016, 09:49 PM
My boss and I were looking at same holsters for our wives. Jo wants a CC purse. It has a dedicated pocket for CC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jmgratz
02-14-2016, 10:39 PM
Looking at the .22 for self defense due to number killed I would say find an RG-22 that you can buy for about $29.95 cause that is what killed a number of poor folks I saw killed. Most LEOs could probably attest to the same. But for stopping power there is a reason that LEOs carry 40 cal and 45 cal. Back in the day it was .357 magnum but it was upgraded to 40 cal. Keep in mind the 380, 38, .357 and 9 mm are all basically the same size bullet but the case in different in size. I would say carry what will work best for you, something that you are comfortable shooting and capable of carrying without an accident.

avvidclif
02-15-2016, 01:05 AM
Looking at the .22 for self defense due to number killed I would say find an RG-22 that you can buy for about $29.95 cause that is what killed a number of poor folks I saw killed. Most LEOs could probably attest to the same. But for stopping power there is a reason that LEOs carry 40 cal and 45 cal. Back in the day it was .357 magnum but it was upgraded to 40 cal. Keep in mind the 380, 38, .357 and 9 mm are all basically the same size bullet but the case in different in size. I would say carry what will work best for you, something that you are comfortable shooting and capable of carrying without an accident.

20mm is a good stopper, maybe. It depends on the condition of the recipient. True story, a drug high guy tried to run over an officer. The officer put 6 rounds of 44 mag HP in a group the size of your palm over the heart. He still drove 1/2 mi before expiring. That's a lot more knockdown x6 than anything discussed here.

Moral of the story is do the best you can and hope for the best. Whatever you carry be proficient. One 22 round in the center beats 10 9mm or whatever sprayed around the neighborhood. Practice, practice, and more practice. Make shooting a natural instinct, not something you have to think about. Twice in the body, once in the head is a good mantra "IF" you practice it(and I taught it). Otherwise it sounds good, that's all.

May you or your spouse never have to be in the situation you need a gun for protection.

JanAndBill
02-15-2016, 08:37 AM
As the previous posters have said it's better to be proficient in whatever you have. On the scene of a domestic a few years back where the woman had emptied the clip of her 9 mm at her husband. Fortunately he only had a flesh wound. Someone commented to the woman on the amount of shots fired that "you could have killed him", to which she replied "I was trying but he kept jumping around to much!!!!" Such is the point, your target is not going to be standing still.

jmgratz
02-15-2016, 08:41 AM
20mm is a good stopper, maybe. It depends on the condition of the recipient. True story, a drug high guy tried to run over an officer. The officer put 6 rounds of 44 mag HP in a group the size of your palm over the heart. He still drove 1/2 mi before expiring. That's a lot more knockdown x6 than anything discussed here.

Moral of the story is do the best you can and hope for the best. Whatever you carry be proficient. One 22 round in the center beats 10 9mm or whatever sprayed around the neighborhood. Practice, practice, and more practice. Make shooting a natural instinct, not something you have to think about. Twice in the body, once in the head is a good mantra "IF" you practice it(and I taught it). Otherwise it sounds good, that's all.

May you or your spouse never have to be in the situation you need a gun for protection.

agreed

Lynn1130
02-15-2016, 09:37 AM
http://www.gunsandammo.com/gun-culture/9-misused-gun-terms/

This is not a diss to anyone here but I see so many incorrect terms used when talking about firearms. Particularly "clip". So I attached the above as an educational piece for all of us. Magazine is the proper nomenclature for that thing that goes up into the grip of a semi-auto handgun.

Diamondjim
02-15-2016, 09:39 AM

After carrying and being licensed since '79, we hope we still never are in a situation, but I'd rather be prepared than not.

I love my EDC Ruger SR9c, my wife too has some issues with upper body strength so I started her on a small boat anchor gun (55 year old HEAVY METAL .380). It's still in great shape, but the slide spring is "broke" in, and she found it easy to rack the slide, but too heavy to carry etc.

Just picked up a Bersa Thunder 380 which I absolutely love. Think my DW will like this much better when gets back to the range. She will not be doing any shooting for a while, unfortunately. On our trip south (home) as snowbirds this fall, she HAD to have some coffee at a Pilot Truck Stop while I was pumping diesel. She headed to the truck and fell, on her left elbow, and broke it in three places. After her second surgery and more PT we're hoping for the best.

I reload my own, we practice a lot (normally) with a variety of loads.
The advice here is just that, but it can give you some place to start thinking what you want to do.

Lynn1130
02-15-2016, 09:48 AM
Consider this when deciding. Magnum rounds are just that magnum. They travel at speeds faster than non-magnum. So--sometimes they are traveling so fast that they do not have time to expand when they hit something/someone and they travel right on through. This means that they do not do what they were intended to do. Open up and create a lot of tissue damage. So the perp just keeps coming. On top of that the shooter may kill someone behind the perp rather than the bad guy.

Back to what I said in another post. Magnum= big bang, lots of fire and loss of night vision. Not to mention recoil and jump.

avvidclif
02-15-2016, 12:00 PM
I didn't mention all 6 rounds were grouped on his heart. ME said it was a piece of hamburger. This was also over 40 years ago and bullets have changed a lot since then.

Bob&Patty
02-16-2016, 11:33 AM
Patty does not have a problem with our 1911 ACP (real one built in 1916) or my 1847 Walker 44-40. The issue is the recoil on the 1911. The Walker has very little recoil....but its six and done, single shot and weighs in at just under 5#s. Fun to shoot, takes 5-10 minutes to reload. It's very loud and the slow moving lead balls make big holes, just not very useful in the 21st century. We had thought about a 25 caliber something, but I guess the ammo is getting hard to come by. Any thoughts on that?

Lynn1130
02-16-2016, 11:43 AM
A 25-06 maybe but a .25 is in MHO pretty much worthless for self defense unless it is a round that has a lot of powder pushing it. A friend had a .25 semi-auto in a dresser drawer that somehow or another went off unintentionally and the bullet did not make it through the side wood of the drawer. Probably a fluke but they are not much in the way of powerful.

danemayer
02-16-2016, 11:55 AM
... A friend had a .25 semi-auto in a dresser drawer that somehow or another went off unintentionally and the bullet did not make it through the side wood of the drawer.

Must have been a fully automatic weapon.

Lynn1130
02-16-2016, 01:55 PM
Why would it be full auto? If it were cocked, the safety is off and the hammer comes down it goes off. Not sure what full would have to do with it. I don't know the circumstances but I do know it was semi-auto.

olcoon
02-16-2016, 02:08 PM
In my past life, I had the occasion to "meet" a young man who had a goofy eye, and an odd spot on his head near the eye. During our discussion, I learned that he was involved in a drug deal gone bad and was shot point blank in the headwith a .32 cal. handgun. The bullet hit his skull and followed it around, in the process messing up some nerves which caused the goofy eye.

INMHO, yes you can "assist" someones demise with the small caliber firearms, but you can also do it with a slingshot & a rock (David & Goliath sound familiar?). But personally, for myself, if what I carry doesn't have some power & meat behind the punch, it is saved for the range or the bunnys.

danemayer
02-16-2016, 03:00 PM
Why would it be full auto? If it were cocked, the safety is off and the hammer comes down it goes off. Not sure what full would have to do with it. I don't know the circumstances but I do know it was semi-auto.

Sorry, I didn't mean for anyone to take it as more than a humorous comment. Should have added a smiley face.

Lynn1130
02-16-2016, 06:21 PM
Ok, LOL. I did not take offense. Just could not figure out how it could be an auto from that info. I was thinking too literally.