Bighorn Bed Question

I have a 2008 Bighorn 3055RL model that came equipped with a king size bed. The bed is so tight to the sides of the slideout, we can't put a bedspread/comforter on the bed beyond the opening for the slide.

Has anyone else experienced the same issue and how have you been able to resolve it? I would prefer toi keep the king size bed.

jimtoo

Hi Bighornboy,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. Here you will get lots of help and answers to your questions.

Yes, we all have about the same problem with the king-size bed in the 3055. Some have, including me, put a cover over the bed platform, of linoleum or something vinyl to make it slick, so when making or changing sheets it is easy to slide the mattress down and get to top of bed. The fit is snug and we usually put pillows up and cover with spread and kinda tuck it in on the sides.

JimM

mountainlovers76

Mississippi Chapter Leaders
We have the same problem with the king bed in our 3600RE. Another six inches or so in width would have been nice. Just tuck it in or let it fold up on top and cover with lots of pillows...lol

grizzlygiant

We put sheet vinyl on top of the bed platform and now the mattress slides easily allowing the sheets to be put on with ease.

slmayor

Founding California Northern Chapter Leader
We have the same problem in the 3370. We also added vinyl under the mattress. Self stick cheapie tiles in our case. Really does help in making the bed.
I'm going to cut and hem the top of the bedspread in an "L" shape, cutting away the excess fabric on the sides and leaving the top. It's mostly the part we fold down anyway. Got the idea from another RV 'er and thought it was a good one. I haven't done it yet, but I intend to the next time the bedspread comes in for washing. We also replaced the bedspread with a darker colored, machine washable one. Packed away the light beige one that came with the trailer. Ray has frequent "nap attacks" and doesn't always take his shoes off. :)

WRIGHT ll

retired Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
We have the same problem with our 3400RE and the DW has a solution for it. First we will put a piece of 1/8" masonite under the mattress and then she will make a quilt to fit over the sides and then up over the pillows. The reason for the masonite is so the mattress will be easier to slide down for bed making. By using only a half sheet the mattress won't slide around on the bed pedestal unless the end is raised a little. That way we will only have to fight the sheets when we make the bed and the quilt will not need to be forced into the area in the slide.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I believe everyone with the King bed has the same problem. We've made ours worse by buying a select comfort RV king that's 2" wider than the factory mattress. We use a quilt rather than a comforter but we still have to force the quilt down along side the mattress in the slideout. It's one of those things we have to deal with if we want the finer comforts of bigger beds.

sailorand

Past British Columbia Chapter Leader
we used "Mac Tac" type adhesive vinyl for a dollar store. 2 rolls and it was done and the mattress slides easy

Oldlthrnecksgirl

Hisyoungercuterwife
We bought our rig off the lot so we got the KS bed as well,,, I hated it! DH went and cut the board sitting on the pedestal to the same width as the pedestal base. We put a queen size mattress on top of that,,, there is still a couple of inches on either side where the mattress doesn't reach the sides but I can make the bed easily. The quilt covers any discrepancies. There is no way you can tell we did it when the bed is made. It also gave us a few extra inches of bedroom space and when you are living in a space of this size, inches count.

Ray LeTourneau

I believe everyone with the King bed has the same problem. We've made ours worse by buying a select comfort RV king that's 2" wider than the factory mattress. We use a quilt rather than a comforter but we still have to force the quilt down along side the mattress in the slideout. It's one of those things we have to deal with if we want the finer comforts of bigger beds.
We also put material on the platform to make the mattress slide easier but that doesn't solve our problem. We can slide the bed down and make it but when we slide it back up, the covers get pushed back on the sides. We still have to force the quilt and top sheet into the tight area between the mattress and slide out:(.

Shadowchek

I am very seriously considering the King to queen mod it would make everything so much easier. All standard bedding would fit good also.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
To remedy this problem, we got rid of the original mattress and had a dual chambered airbed made to the exact measurements that would fit easily into the space. Contact Airbed Discounters at http://www.airbeddiscounters.com/, give them the measurements and in less than a week you'll have a comfortable bed that fits properly, with plenty of space for making the bed.

Sheets are a little large, but that's easy to deal with compared to fighting making the bed inside the slide.

Bighorn Bed Problem

Thank you all for the great suggestions. I thought maybe I was the only one experiencing this problem, but evidently not.

Thanks again for the advice.:D

Ray LeTourneau

I am very seriously considering the King to queen mod it would make everything so much easier. All standard bedding would fit good also.
We thought hard about that. Tested a quenn bed in the Select Comfort store. Nope, not enough room for Suzi. Yes she's spoiled. :D