Rw 427

wiredog

Well tomorrow we head over for our PDI of our new 427. Interested in any things that current owners look back and wished you had either checked out, asked about etc...

I have a basic checklist to keep me on track but suggestions are always welcomed.

After reading most threads here one of the most troubling has to be the tires, not a place to save a couple of bucks for sure.

danemayer

Hi wiredog,

Congratulations on the new Road Warrior and welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

I'm sure you'll get some suggestions shortly.

Nbomar

I had issues with the generator on my 415. You had to run it for several hours then it would shutoff like it was out of fuel. Couldn't crank for a few hours then it would run like new again for a few hours. Cummins ended up swapping carbs out to fix it. Frustrating the first time we used it dry camping though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BLHFUN

Really doesn't matter what model or brand you have. Check everything! Your PDI should take hours and should be very detailed. Discuss items that you can't see. Water pump, electronics, inverter/converter... And what the differences are between the two. Act as if you just pulled in to the RV park and insure the dealer walks you through the set up. Heat/AC, doors, motors, generators, tanks, options... Everything! Check everything!

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
If you can, also let them give you some time by yourself to check things. I got "system instruction overload", and managed to forget to look at some things.

Don't be afraid to ask to climb on the roof, crawl underneath, open up the basement wall, use a flashlight, touch things to check for leaks, and really eyeball as much caulking as you can.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Be sure to watch the operation of the slides going in and out, from the inside as well as the outside. Discovered one was pulling in too far on the outside, then after adjustment, it was not going out far enough as seen on the inside. They got it fixed though.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Make sure the coach is hooked up to water, sewer, and electric. Check for leaks under all sinks at "P" traps and feed lines, flush the toilets, etc, etc.

wiredog

Update.

One of the items that was an issue was the large slide. The end that doesn't have the drive unit on extension was not finishing in a plumb manner. The bottom is still out about a inch from touching the internal gasket. The dealer stated they adjusted all that was possible.

The other strange thing that I found while checking tire pressure was one of the valve stems was missing the external nut, so as I attempted to test tire pressure, another story, it would jump and let air out of the wheel.

So its at the lake and it will be there until I can afford a larger tow vehicle. This will give us time to learn about the unit before we hit the road.

On a side note I saw the Heartland email blast about the new 427 model, reading this it dawned on me that they must have forgotten my fireplace...