Hardwired Surge Guard model comparison new vs discontinued

Bones

I found a discontinued surge guard hardwired on sale. It is not the newer one and I can not tell the difference between the newer model and the older model. Would it be a mistake to buy the older model? I'm leaning to the older model. Thoughts?

Old model is 34560
New model is 35550

danemayer

How does the price of the discontinued model compare to a current Progressive unit with lifetime warranty?

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
On our last trailer we had a portable Surge Guard 30 amp unit. About two years later they came out with a new model. From what I can see, the only difference was the new model had a LCD readout showing amp usage, error codes, etc. Not sure if it would be the same for the hardwired unit. We used it for about four years with no issues. It did save us a few times.

Bones

How does the price of the discontinued model compare to a current Progressive unit with lifetime warranty?
$275

- - - Updated - - -

On our last trailer we had a portable Surge Guard 30 amp unit. About two years later they came out with a new model. From what I can see, the only difference was the new model had a LCD readout showing amp usage, error codes, etc. Not sure if it would be the same for the hardwired unit. We used it for about four years with no issues. It did save us a few times.
I have a portable one now and I was looking at upgrading it. They sell a small readout too that is another 100 bucks so total investment would eventually be 375.

Bones

I just found a progressive one for $317 but it only states 3 year warranty. Model HW50C

Bones

I've seen this warranty confusion before, usually on retail websites. Here's a link to the Progressive Warranty page.
That is good to know if the unit buggers out for no reason it may be covered. That is a big if though since it states authorized retailer and at their discretion. I'm leaning towards the progressive unit now. It looks like it comes with a display where I would have to purchase the display separately with the other one.

- - - Updated - - -

Now I just need to convince the DW to let me buy one. She already let me buy the RV lock on sale so I may be out of luck.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
That is good to know if the unit buggers out for no reason it may be covered. That is a big if though since it states authorized retailer and at their discretion. I'm leaning towards the progressive unit now. It looks like it comes with a display where I would have to purchase the display separately with the other one.

- - - Updated - - -

Now I just need to convince the DW to let me buy one. She already let me buy the RV lock on sale so I may be out of luck.

If you currently don't have a surge protector, your rig is at the mercy of the power pole/electrical system it's hooked to. Too many times I've read where folks plugged in, everything seems fine, then sometime during their stay-- poof, smoke and all is fried. End of fun. To me the EMS/surge protector is an absolute safety requirement, not a luxury.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bones

If you currently don't have a surge protector, your rig is at the mercy of the power pole/electrical system it's hooked to. Too many times I've read where folks plugged in, everything seems fine, then sometime during their stay-- poof, smoke and all is fried. End of fun. To me the EMS/surge protector is an absolute safety requirement, not a luxury.

Rest assured I do have a surge protector on my rig. It is the surge guard portable unit 50 amp. :) I'm looking at potential upgrade but I need to prioritize what I want to get. larger fuel tank, suspension upgrades, hardwired surge protector. Soooo many wants.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Rest assured I do have a surge protector on my rig. It is the surge guard portable unit 50 amp. :) I'm looking at potential upgrade but I need to prioritize what I want to get. larger fuel tank, suspension upgrades, hardwired surge protector. Soooo many wants.

AH! Ok. Good. I know, I have a "list" too.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
There are things a guy wants to have and things he's gotta have.
Sounds like you gotta have everything on your list. :)

Peace
Dave

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
I have the hardwired progressive. I forget I even have it. Plug in like nothing is needed and pretty much forget about it. Unless the power goes off and then the display is the first thing I look at to determine what's up.

Sent from my SM-T520 using Tapatalk

Bones

Well I managed to talk her into letting me get the hardwired Progressive unit. It was on sale I said but I'm convinced she is not too happy with me. :cool: as she rolls her eyes. ha I should have it in a few days to install when weather gets nicer and I can bring the camper back to work on. I have a little stock pile of stuff to install when the weather breaks.