Compartment Latch on 24BHS

JonD

the forward right side compartment latch will no longer open on our 2016 24BHS. I tried pulling it off and looking at the components but latch still won't open. Is there any adjustments for this latch?

danemayer

Hi JonD,

I'm not aware of any adjustment. But maybe someone else has run into this problem and can chime in.

Bones

When you do manage to get them open try using the handle and see how far the latch mechanism moves in. This should give you an indication that maybe the lock is binding on the strike plate

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
You may have to crawl through from the other side to get at it.

Our previous 2013 Heartland Trail Runner had this happen a couple of times.

There is a screw head and a nut on the back side that kept coming loose and the key latch and/or the one with the knob (they both did it) would just spin but not latch.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
As JohnD mentioned. If the screws have come loose....put some "loc tight" on them and reinstall the screws. Voila...problem solved.

JonD

These are the paddle type latches that have a rod attached to the paddle. When you lift the paddle the rod pushes on a lever that retracts the spring loaded latch. The paddle binds and cannot be lifted. I don't see a screw to tighten other than the pivot screw on the lever, which is tight.

Bones...you may be right about binding on the strike plate, which is a metal piece attached to the bottom of the opening to catch the latch. The latch does not full retract but it is the same amount of retraction on all slam doors. It could be that the strike plate is bent and higher than it was before.

JonD

I pulled it apart again and checked the latch retraction relative to a door that works. The latch does not retract as far as it should and the strike plate is not bent up. When I tried to push up on the rod attached to the paddle (shaped like an Allen wrench with long side projecting through the paddle, when paddle lifts rod pushes down on lever to retract spring loaded latch) it clicked up in position relative to the paddle. It now retracts the latch fully. I suspect the plastic paddle has a plastic guide molded to the paddle that holds the push rod and plastic has deformed from lifting on paddle hard to open door. I may need to replace the entire latch and lock if problem returns.

danemayer

I pulled it apart again and checked the latch retraction relative to a door that works. The latch does not retract as far as it should and the strike plate is not bent up. When I tried to push up on the rod attached to the paddle (shaped like an Allen wrench with long side projecting through the paddle, when paddle lifts rod pushes down on lever to retract spring loaded latch) it clicked up in position relative to the paddle. It now retracts the latch fully. I suspect the plastic paddle has a plastic guide molded to the paddle that holds the push rod and plastic has deformed from lifting on paddle hard to open door. I may need to replace the entire latch and lock if problem returns.

Don't wait. Call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Have your VIN # ready. Explain what you've found and ask if they'll send you a replacement latch assembly.

Bones

Don't wait. Call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Have your VIN # ready. Explain what you've found and ask if they'll send you a replacement latch assembly.

same as Dan said. make the call.