Accident near Ocala, FL on 2/16

MTPockets

Friends of ours involved yesterday about 5:00 PM. A car had a blowout and hit them on drivers side rear wheels. Trailer then disconnected and hit the retaining wall. Everyone walked away without a scratch...

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    99.3 KB · Views: 434
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    68.8 KB · Views: 435
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    69 KB · Views: 428

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Oh dear, I would be sick and heartbroken. Glad they were not injured physically.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Glad everyone walked away but so sad to see the Big Country laying on it's side. And the truck - wow.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Wow, that's really a shame, but glad everyone is OK. The truck took a really hard hit and BC on it's side is really sad. Was the car traveling the other direction?

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Yikes!! Glad there were no bodily injuries.
Worrisome though how/why the trailer became disconnected...

bigdob24

So glad everyone walked away!
Glad it was a true accident ( blow out) and not the result of someone's stupid driving.
Hope insurance treats them well:)
Dan

avvidclif

I hope the other party had more than a minimum liability policy. That's getting close to a $150k wreck...

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Yikes!! Glad there were no bodily injuries.
Worrisome though how/why the trailer became disconnected...

Purely speculation, but If they used a B&W Companion hitch that attached to an in-bed turnover ball hitch point, that impact may have dislodged the securing of the turnover hitch point. There would be a lever located in that wheel well that has obviously been impacted.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
Glad no one was injured. We pay a LOT of money for insurance, so I hope the other party has proper coverage.

MTPockets

Wow, that's really a shame, but glad everyone is OK. The truck took a really hard hit and BC on it's side is really sad. Was the car traveling the other direction?
The car was traveling in next lane going same direction when tire blew. I talked with Mike (our friend) who said it was real fast, the blowout, then the slam into driver side of his truck, trailer uncoupled then he spun around hitting the wall while trailer was sliding along behind.

travelin2

The car was traveling in next lane going same direction when tire blew. I talked with Mike (our friend) who said it was real fast, the blowout, then the slam into driver side of his truck, trailer uncoupled then he spun around hitting the wall while trailer was sliding along behind.

Does your friend have a hypothesis as to how the camper separated itself from the truck?
That scenario has always been in the back of my mind.

MTPockets

The owner told me he has no idea what caused the trailer to disconnect, it was pretty much immediate upon the side impact at the driver side rear wheel. Also, had it not uncoupled, the truck may have overturned as well.

travelin2

The owner told me he has no idea what caused the trailer to disconnect, it was pretty much immediate upon the side impact at the driver side rear wheel. Also, had it not uncoupled, the truck may have overturned as well.

Possibly as you seldom see a semi trailer and tractor separate themselves during an accident.
Did he say whether the hitch opened or failed? On reexamination of the pictures I see the hitch or part of it still in the box. Or did the pin box on the camper frame fail?

Last edited:

mlpeloquin

If the Lippart frame failed at the welds that hole the king pin, shouldn't it still be attached in the bed? The only way the welds should fail is if they were under tension. This can happen when changing to a new king pin. When I purchased and installed a Trailair Flex Air king pin, it was 3/16" narrower. I picked up some Aluminum and made a shim to fill in the gap. On line U tube of a Trailair king pin shows them gunning the bolts on and you can see the mounting plates move in. The welds will hold that way until a good impact which can snap them.

The hitch may have had the fasteners/bolts crystallize on impact or the jaw may have crystallized. If it was the jaw, the king pin catcher suggested by Bill Knight may have saved the fifth wheel.

olcoon

I agree with MTPockets, if the 5er hadn't came loose quite possibly it may have caused the truck to roll also, and there may have been some serious injuries. With that unfortunate incident, even if the rig hadn't come apart, there still would have been major damage.

travelin2

I agree with MTPockets, if the 5er hadn't came loose quite possibly it may have caused the truck to roll also, and there may have been some serious injuries. With that unfortunate incident, even if the rig hadn't come apart, there still would have been major damage.

Yep no doubt the truck would have been on its side too and both with substantial damage regardless. And in this case it appears the camper was its own casualty BUT uncoupled from the tow vehicle a trailer then becomes a moving target that can collect other vehicles causing chaos and injuries.