F350 Transmission Overheat

LINKn8r

Has anybody ever had a transmission over-heat and spill out the over-flow? 1999 F350 w/7.3L Diesel. We drove 2 1/2 hours camping a few weeks back - no problems. Drove 2 1/2 hours back home. When I was backing the camper into the yard, slightly up-hill and very soft grass/sod, the rear wheels were starting to spin. I locked in the hubs and put it in 4WD-high. Because of the really soft ground, it was pushing pretty heavy and took a LOT of acceleration to get it rolling. As I got out to unhook, I saw a huge puddle of tranny fluid on the sidewalk. The engine temp gauge was still in the normal range, although I could feel a little extra heat coming off.

Now, I am worried about this being a real problem before a take a 2 week road trip, even though some repair shops told me on the phone it was probably just a freak thing - which kind of makes sense given the circumstances. I suspect it may have been warm from the drive, no air moving to cool it, then really working it to get into the yard. Seems as though the cooler is not plugged up or damaged at all, and it has been fine since (although not towing).

Do I spend the bucks to have it looked at inside, or write it off as a freak-occurrence?
Is there a transmission temperature gauge or something I can buy to be sure this does not happen on the road?

Thanks for any possible advice or insight!
Steve

billd

I would have it checked and the trans cooler upgraded to a bigger one. You dont want it going out while towing.

Bill

jimtoo

You do not say how long it has been since the fluid and filter was changed in the transmission. Dirty fluid and filter, along with stress from backing a trailer uphill could cause overheat conditions. Burping from the filler tube is a sign of overheat, what ever the cause. I would at least change the fluid and filter. If you find very fine metal particles like filings, that is considered pretty normal along with a little nasty black stuff in the pan. If you find anything larger than filings or some clutch material, then you need to think about having it checked out.

Jim M

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
Do you have a power chip installed on your truck?I previously own a 2001 F350 with the 7.3 and a plug in computer chip.I had the same problem twice, each time after towing for several hours. Had the tranny checked and found no problem but did find that the pump seal was overheating and expanding which of course allowed the fluid to leak out. Found that the chip the dealer installed was for performace and not towing.So had the chip taken outand a new pump seal installed Also had a second transmission cooler installed and no more problem.

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
I had the fluid completely changed in mine every 20K. I just jogged on down to Jiffy Lube, bit the bullet and paid the $80 and had them do a power flush of the transmission. Blows all the old fluid out and replaces it with new. This does not change the fluid in the pan nor clean that part of the transmission out. That's another $50 or so. The difference was unbelievable.

While some might consider this overkill...in all the miles I towed my old trailer. I never had a transmission problem. And this was pulling a 1971 Airstream with a 1/2 ton pickup.

L'l John

I always use 4-wheel-LOW when backing into my driveway. Very little acceleration. This keeps from straining anything.

Oldlthrneck

Just an Old Jarhead
When I used to need more torque, in the past, I would put my truck into 4 wheel low and not lock the front hubs in. This basically gave you an extra low gear in 2 wheel drive. With auto locking hubs this isn't possible. I ran across this product on one of the diesel truck forums that I go to. It seems like a pretty cool mod. And is reasonably priced. There are times when one would need the extra gear and not want to risk damaging a transfer case by running in 4 wheel drive on pavement or asphalt. Slow speeds, in high gear, up steep driveways or access roads getting into and out of campgrounds can really heat up a tranny and cause a lot of damage.

http://fullpulltowing.com/index2.html

Fred

LINKn8r

When I used to need more torque, in the past, I would put my truck into 4 wheel low and not lock the front hubs in. This basically gave you an extra low gear in 2 wheel drive. With auto locking hubs this isn't possible. I ran across this product on one of the diesel truck forums that I go to. It seems like a pretty cool mod. And is reasonably priced. There are times when one would need the extra gear and not want to risk damaging a transfer case by running in 4 wheel drive on pavement or asphalt. Slow speeds, in high gear, up steep driveways or access roads getting into and out of campgrounds can really heat up a tranny and cause a lot of damage.

http://fullpulltowing.com/index2.html

Fred

Fred - what exactly is that product, and what does it do? Well, I kinda know "what" it does, but "how"? The website is not very descriptive.

By the way, could the same condition occur if I was driving down the highway for a while, then get caught in stop/go traffic?

Another question... In the radiator/cooler, I can of course see the hoses going to the engine, and the lines going to the transmission, but I also see what looks like lines going to the air conditioner condenser. If that is the case, what triggers the coolant of the air conditioner to flow through the radiator?

Also - some background information may be helpful for you all. I have driven a SD diesel before, but this is the first time owning one. I can't say for sure when the last transmission service was done as I just bought the truck from a Ford dealer just about a month ago (and only 1 1/2 weeks before I pulled the new camper for the first time. I "assume" the dealer checked the trans at the very least - if not full service.

Thanks again for all the great feedback - your help and guidance is greatly appreciated.
Steve

Oldlthrneck

Just an Old Jarhead
I agree, the website is not very descriptive. The only thing I can figure is that it has some sort of solenoid actuated cut out that disengages the front driveshaft. That seems to be the only way that could happen.

I wouldn't make any assumptions as to what service the dealer gave to your truck. I know many dealers that the only thing they do to a used truck is wash it and put it on the lot. I would take it to a reputable mechanic and have the transmission checked out. Fluid running on the ground is not, in my opinion, normal.
Fred

jnbhobe

For what its worth I do the 4-wheel low thing any time I have a difficult backup. Less strain on everything including me and a lot better control all you have to do is idle.:)

svd

I have an 01 F-350 and had the same problem. It would only leak when towing the trailer, and when backing it in the drive, a slight incline. I always use 4 low. What I found was a bad front seal. The 01 has a very small trans cooler. I talked to Brian at BT transmission, and bought a front seal from him, and on his recommendation replaced the trans cooler with the newer 6.0 Ford cooler. It is about 3 times larger. I have not had any problems since, and the trans never gets above 120f (so far), although it never ran above 190f with the old cooler. I had 100k miles at the time.

htneighbors

Unbelievably Blessed!
:D :D :D Please allow me to explain, via a quote from a forum member...a very wise forum member, I might add...

Just because the Duramax pulls better, gets better mileage, is faster and looks sharper doesn't make it a superior tow vehicle, it just doesn't. - Uncle Rog

Pasted from <//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php?p=34153#post34153>

Clark

I had an F250 PS Diesel 2WD and lost the transmission backing up a slight grade into a campsite. I also left a pool of transmission fluid on the ground. Took it to a Ford dealer locally and he said that I had to replace the transmission all together. Friend of mine with a 2004 Ford F250 diesel 4WD also lost his backing his trailer uphill into his parking slot by his house. Another friend with a 2005 Dodge 3/4 ton diesel 4WD lost his backing uphill on soft ground into his yard.
Personally, I would have a professional put it on the rack and check it out before you take the chance of pulling on your next trip.
Clark

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
As for using 4WL and not having the front end locked in...is not a good idea. It can put too much torque on the rear end and snap an axle. The torque is outside of design spec's and can cause you a warranty failure alongside the xmission.

I became intimately acquainted with the effects of 4WL with no front end lock during my stint in the Army...rule was you break it...you fix it... and I got to do this little gig about 6 times in less than 4 months.

Anytime I try to get sexy with some of this stuff...it blows up in my face.