FireStone Air BAGs SWEET

Loco

Well I just put air bags on the wifes F-350 Dually.MAN they are sweet! I should have put them on 2 years ago pulling. the heavy Cyclone. Man it pulls so much better. I already had the air compressor on the truck for air horns so all I had to do was install the bags and put in control and gauge in cab. We pulled our 3795 with it on Tuesday and what a difference! It is like the trailer is not back there. BEST 300 bucks I have spent

Oldlthrneck

Just an Old Jarhead
I put mine on 9 months ago, and have never been happier. They change everything about towing the rig. It doesn't change the chucking, but sure makes for a much smoother ride. I am going for the Mor-Ride rubber king pin next and getting rid of the sliding hitch. I bought the Bighorn in Sept and have never had a need for the slider, so it is going away real soon. That should take all of the "tail wagging the dog" out of towing this monster.
Fred

jimtoo

Yep... they do make a difference. Especially if you let them take the place of the overload springs. Much smoother ride.
JimM

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
Have the Firestones on my TV and just recently had the Fifth Airborne hitch installed.What a difference the combination made in my ride. Well worth the money.

NewCyclone

LOCO,

How hard where they to install? I have a set ready to be installed, I just need to find the time to do it.

Oldlthrneck

Just an Old Jarhead
They are not hard to install. I paid to have mine done. Watched while they did it and kicked myself for not doing it. Could not believe how simple it was. I read the instructions and they are pretty straight forward. I even had to correct the installer when I saw him making a mistake. Good thing I hung around and watched. I still had to go back and tighten one of the fittings that goes into the top of the pass side bag. He forgot to tighten it all the way and it leaked.
Fred

caokgafamily

I installed them about 2 years ago on my 05 250. It took me about 2hrs. On the air lines, I just ran a short piece out of each bag right into the wheel well. Everytime I fill the bags I'm right there checking tire pressure also. When pulling my 3400RL I keep the bag pressure at 50psi.

Zeplik

I had installed the Firestone bags on my F-250 several years ago and loved them. I was towing a TT back then, and the softer suspension on the 250 really allowed the truck to sag without the bags. I've since moved to a F-350 and the BH 3055. There's barely any sag to the truck so I didn't think bags would provide me any additional improvement. But maybe I should reconsider this? I did notice that even without towing or any load, just 10 psi in the bags made the 250 ride much smoother with very little role in corners.

jimtoo

Zeplik, this is what I did. I have posted this before, so I just copied it.

"I have a 04 GMC 3500 CC Dually. I have both Trailair Pin box and Firestone Riderite air bags. I orginally put the Trailair box on and it greatly improved the ride, but still had a lot of chucking, Trailair sent me another air bag for it, and it improved the chucking somewhat. Don't ask me why or how, but it did help some, at least the chucking that is left is tolorable. I was still getting a harsh bounce, banging or ride when hitting a bump or rough places in the road. With my 5er loaded and ready for the road, my truck was not touching the overload springs. It was about 1/2 to 1" from the overload spring brackets, so that when I hit the rough places, dips and such, I contacted the overloads and got a harsh bump. I installed the Firestone riderites and then I removed the overload spring brackets from the frame, easier than removing springs and changing "U" bolts. Now I carry about 25-30 lbs. air presure when loaded with 5er and I don't get the harsh banging and noise when hitting the bad spots in the road. The Ride rites are now my overloads. It still rides like it has 2700# in the bed, plus extra 60 gal fuel tank, but that is a fact, I do have that much in the bed. But the ride is greatly improved. Well worth the change to us."

Jim M

Loco

Installed took about two hours. I did have to do a little fitting to make them fit on the axle housing the way I wanted it. But it was a easy install. Did not even remove wheels. Did it with truck setting on ground.

Peteandsharon

Ahhhhh. That's chucking, eh? There is a stretch of I294 around Chicago which is famous for this. You feel like you are running a three legged race with someone with much shorter legs. The truck pulls forward while the trailer is jerking back and vice versa. That stretch of road used to kill me while pulling a 30' travel trailer for that very reason. I pulled it last weekend with my BH 3055 and felt it but it was not nearly as bad as the travel trailer. Thanks for the definition.

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
Guys,

I've heard this term "chucking" numerous times. Can someone help me understand what that means?
Thanks, Pete

The _)(*&%@$^*()(*&^%#@WETYHBN*^TYHNJ unwanted movement of the trailer when driven on uneven pavement.

Known and loved by all 5th wheelers.

Zeplik

Jimtoo,

I'm not sure how comfortable I am about removing the overload spring brackets, but definitely considering the bags. I'm guessing you haven't had any issues, but what are the potential risks of removing the brackets? I'm guessing if you have too low a pressure in the bags you could potentially compress them down significantly. As I recall I had to remove the axle bump stop to install the bags, is that correct?

Forrest Fetherolf

I installed Airlift 5000 airbags on my 2500HD Duramax 2 years ago and installed a pair on a friends 3 days ago. The Airlift airbags were installed in 2 hours without any modifications. I did not remove the overload springs as I did not notice any harshness if and when the overloads were needed in addition to the airbags. I would not hesitate to remove the overloads if necessary for a better ride, the Airlift 5000 airbags will handle 5000 lbs of weight. The hitch-pin weight on my 3600RL is 2880 lbs and I have a RDS fuel/tool box, I carry 30 gallons of diesel and about 30 lbs of tools. I chose not to have the on-board compressor kit, the airbags fill valves are located just above the rear license plate through the bed for easy access, I have a compressor in the RV front compartment to inflate all tires, suspension airbags, and TrailAir hitch airbag.

Forrest

http://www.airliftcompany.com/LoadLifter5000.html

NewCyclone

Just installed a set of Firestone airbags this morning and it only took about three hours. Most of the time was spent on the drivers side airbag since their seems to be more stuff in the way on that side. I took it out for a test drive and immediately saw a difference.

What pressure does everyone drive around with when not loaded?

christianson

I have had my air bags firestone on 5 differant pickups I just keep moving them to a new truck when I trade would not be without them I have them in my 08 f-350 daully now I run 10 lbs emty it is just enough to pick the truck up to take the harshnes out of the spring I run 60 lbs pulling Bighorn 3055

Oldlthrneck

Just an Old Jarhead
I run 10-15lbs empty and 70 psi when I have the Bighorn 3670RL loaded. I am not sure about anyone else, but the pressure doubles between empty and loaded. 35 psi empty=70psi loaded.
Fred

jimtoo

I have not had any problems with mine since I removed the overload brackets from the frame. I run about 5-10 lbs when not hooked up and it will go to about 30 lbs when I hook on to the fiver. I run pretty level and have not had any kind of problem. I have been on some pretty bad roads in Lousiana and Oklahoma...and not bottomed out.. (all the roads in Texas are perfect).