Advice on Towing Vehicle

mydoc17

We recently had a change of plans and purchased a much bigger toy hauler than originally planned. We purchased a 2016 Heartland Cyclone 4200HD Edition. It is obvious that my Ram 1500 will not be able to pull this large vehicle and my question is what is everyone's opinion on what type of dully to buy. I am a Ford fan but have heard they have issues with the Powerstroke Diesel they are using. My next choice is the Ram 3500 with the turbo charged diesel. Any thoughts?

Thanks for the input.

Chris M.
Austin, TX
2016 Cyclone 4200

danemayer

Hi mydoc17,

Congratulations on the new Cyclone and welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

Owners here pull with Fords, GM/Chevy, and RAM and most are fans of what they have, so your question will probably set off yet another round of chest thumping to see who's got the best truck.

Whatever brand you settle on, before buying, check the towing and payload specs on the actual truck. The actual spec can often be way less than what's advertised due to configuration differences.

sbryan

We have 2013 F350 with the 6.7 Powerstroke and so far nothing but good to say. That said, look at all the brands and buy what ticks your checklist best. Every manufacturer has an occasional lemon but I'd say they are exceptions not the rule. Of course you will hear about the problems because people who are happy tend to post less than those who have issues. And as stated above, make sure to check your weight capacities because how you option can make a big difference. Have fun shopping.

123camper

I just purchased a 2016 ram 2500. 1 advantage I have found over Chevy and ford is that it has a gauge on the dash that shows me how much DEF is in the tank and the DEF fill is next to the fuel tank fill. My brother has a 2015 GMC 2500 (we make our living delivering RV's) , when he gets low on DEF he has a light that comes on in the dash. He has to open his hood and the tank fill is on the firewall on the passenger side. He Carries a jug in the back almost impossible to fill at the pumps. I can plan my stops and fill at the truck stops. I have a friend with an F350 and he has to go into his computer setting and it tells him when he has less than 1/2 a tank but his fill is by the fuel fill so he also uses the truck stops. I have put 20,000 miles on the truck in the last month and have gone thru a lot of DEF. half those miles are loaded. My Ram has a lot better ride than the ford or Chevy. I think it's because I have coil springs on the back. Only disadvantage I have it the 20 inch tires. I ride a little high and sometime have trouble hooking up to travel trailers. Pulls my own 5th wheel with no problem.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MTPockets

The DEF alert to me is a non issue.. The Ford alerts when you have 500 miles to go, which is plenty of time to get some at just about any auto parts store, truck stop, Walmart, etc... Or if you check and it says less than 1/2 full, but the 500 mile alert has not alarmed, if you want to add, just get two or three gallons when it's convenient and pour it in. Beyond that, for sure get a Dually Ford, Ram, or GMC - the one that looks the best to you with options to satisfy your purse...

mlpeloquin

I have a 2013 GMC 3500 Denali. It doesn't matter what you pull with so long as you are happy and have a lot of reserve. Don't get a truck that just over the weight of your fifth wheel's max weight. A lot of people over load with out knowing. Also you can get something in the future with out having to change trucks again. I fill up with DEF, two 5gal boxes, at a time. I am warned through the electronic monitor well in advanced. I purchase them at Walmart or PEP Boy's for under $10. When traveling across the country, I carry two extra in the front storage bay. The GMC is not to hard to fill using the 5gal boxes. I wanted the Ford, but Ford up their prices for 2013 by 12K to 15K. It turns out the they switched to their newly designed engine and transmission. I know that the Caterpillar diesel is a good engine in the Dodge, but I wasn't sure about the transmission. I do know that the Duratec diesel with the Allison transmission are a proven combination. My friend and a fellow Heartand owner has had three fuel injectors replaced on his Ford. He is thankful it was under warranty since the cost was $2800.00 along with two weeks time. I got the dual rear wheels. When crossing country and encountering side winds and gusts, I was steady on the road while I watched non dual rear trucks with a fifth wheel being moved around. So it depends on how far and what type of driving you are going to do. I prefer the extra stability of the dual rear wheels.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We are Ford happy but whatever you get ... get at least a 1 ton (350 , 3500 etc) Our 6.7 Ford F350 dually a great job with out 16400 lbs Landmark.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
In Texas, there are tons of used trucks out there. We found our 2013 GMC 3500 Denali in the summer of 2015. Love it!

Check out cars.com to narrow your search easily. Call dealerships to verify they still have what's advertised.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mydoc17

I appreciate all the advice. I will post soon with what I purchased. Thanks again!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JanAndBill

Late model used around here are to close to new prices. Our 2016 F350 should be delivered in about 4 weeks. I would have considered Ram or Chevy but on a competitive bid they were as much as $4k higher and didn't offer the same amenities as the Ford. Also don't know if it's the same in your area, but here when you order from Ford you get the current incentives or if they are better at delivery, you get the better ones. We were guaranteed a min. Of $3200. Something the others weren't doing

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
I have a 2012 F350 with the 6.7l and have literally had no problems in more than 50,000 miles. Great motor!!

Rod

Bones

In my opinion. I like the Ford and The dodge. I would have both if I could. For the Ford if your are looking at new and can wait until the 2017's come out they should have the new frame and aluminum body from the 150. The new crew cab is longer than the outgoing one. For me that was one of my sway factors to the Dodge. The cab was bigger. Another few factors for me were the auto-leveling which comes from the factory and the inline 6. With the inline 6 I was considering durability and maintenance ability if something were to break down. I think if you investigate all the models and decide on what suites you best all three of the models will do what you need. Just make sure as posted earlier to get the towing packages and you option it correctly. I would also suggest diesel. That is just my preference. Axle gearing can dramatically affect your towing ability. Good luck. This is a hot topic here. :cool:

DW_Gray

Congratulations on your Cyclone purchase.

Oh, boy, asking what truck would be best for your is akin to asking what type a house you should buy. The big three brands have their pluses and minuses. It really will be your personal choice. The best thing to do is go test drive them all.

Since you know the you'll need a one-ton dually, take a moment to look over these tow review charts that may help with the search. The most important consideration in vehicle choice is ensuring that the tow vehicle has no less than a 3.73 rear end gear ratio. One with a 4.10 or higher will be even better for towing that big trailer.

JanAndBill

The most important consideration in vehicle choice is ensuring that the tow vehicle has no less than a 3.73 rear end gear ratio. One with a 4.10 or higher will be even better for towing that big trailer.

I have a 4.10 in the 06 we are replacing. After reading the specs on the 2016 6.7 Powerstroke, I elected to go with 3.73 rather than 4.10 on our new truck. The hp/torque on the new model diesels is HUGE, 440/800 on the Ford and 395/900 on the Cummins.

SButler83

I think you will find the problem with the Powerstroke was fixed years ago.

Yes but you'll want to avoid any 6.0L Powerstroke that hasn't been "bulletproofed" and I would avoid the 6.4 all together personally.

You can't go wrong with a 7.3 or a 6.7 Powerstroke

CaptnJohn

Yes but you'll want to avoid any 6.0L Powerstroke that hasn't been "bulletproofed" and I would avoid the 6.4 all together personally.

You can't go wrong with a 7.3 or a 6.7 Powerstroke

I agree 100%. Would never say anything bad about the 7.3 and never thought I'd be happier with he 6.7 but I am. Staying away from the 6.4 certainly makes sense. At this time most 6.0 have either had the fix" or are one of the good ones. I'd still stay way from a 6.0 without the 'fix' documented.

wdk450

I have a 2013 GMC 3500 Denali. It doesn't matter what you pull with so long as you are happy and have a lot of reserve. Don't get a truck that just over the weight of your fifth wheel's max weight. A lot of people over load with out knowing. Also you can get something in the future with out having to change trucks again. I fill up with DEF, two 5gal boxes, at a time. I am warned through the electronic monitor well in advanced. I purchase them at Walmart or PEP Boy's for under $10. When traveling across the country, I carry two extra in the front storage bay. The GMC is not to hard to fill using the 5gal boxes. I wanted the Ford, but Ford up their prices for 2013 by 12K to 15K. It turns out the they switched to their newly designed engine and transmission. I know that the Caterpillar diesel is a good engine in the Dodge, but I wasn't sure about the transmission. I do know that the Duratec diesel with the Allison transmission are a proven combination. My friend and a fellow Heartand owner has had three fuel injectors replaced on his Ford. He is thankful it was under warranty since the cost was $2800.00 along with two weeks time. I got the dual rear wheels. When crossing country and encountering side winds and gusts, I was steady on the road while I watched non dual rear trucks with a fifth wheel being moved around. So it depends on how far and what type of driving you are going to do. I prefer the extra stability of the dual rear wheels.

Cummins diesel engine in the Dodge. Caterpillar got out of the OTR markets a few years back. Cummins now available in Nissan trucks, too.

kjm1970

We recently had a change of plans and purchased a much bigger toy hauler than originally planned. We purchased a 2016 Heartland Cyclone 4200HD Edition. It is obvious that my Ram 1500 will not be able to pull this large vehicle and my question is what is everyone's opinion on what type of dully to buy. I am a Ford fan but have heard they have issues with the Powerstroke Diesel they are using. My next choice is the Ram 3500 with the turbo charged diesel. Any thoughts?

Thanks for the input.

Chris M.
Austin, TX
2016 Cyclone 4200
I HIGHLY recommend going to a HDT. I have a Road Warrior 420 (same as your Cyclone). I bought a 2015 Ford F350. I loved it but our rigs are too big. Pulling, no problem but we are pretty much at max and stopping in an emergency situation the camper will win every time. So I went to a 2013 Volvo 730. I don't need a CDL and it's the same or even less than the new Fords. Let me tell you, I don't even feel my camper back there and the the distance I can go is incredible. Also being up high is awesome as well as the brakes.If you have any questions I'd be happy to answer.
472047b5e6ea0275d923d72b1ff86590.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk