Sundance XLT 265RK GVWR discrepancy

Rollin_Free

I have almost completed the purchase of a 2010 Sundance XLT 265RK with the advertised weights listed below:

Hitch Weight 1270 lbs., Gross Weight 9900 lbs., Dry Weight 6778 lbs.

So why does the actual weight listed on this 5er say the GVWR for this trailer is 11430 lbs? If the actual max weight is this high then are the other weights also different than advertised? I know I have to actually weigh the trailer but just want to know why there is such a weight discrepancy?

I plan to complete the purchase within the next 3 weeks but really want to know what I am up against with these weights. I have a 2015 Chevrolet 2500 6.6L 4X4 Diesel that has an adjusted payload for a 5er hitch of 1500lbs. The trailer is advertised as 1/2 ton towable so I think I am OK unless the other weights are also different than the advertised ones.

I am also going to replace the tires. The label says use ST225/75R15 without saying the load rating required. The existing ones are "D" rated and were on the trailer when purchased new but I cannot find any reference to this specifically. I am planning to convert to LT tires so I would like to know the equivalent of the ST tires listed with a comparable LT tire. I'm assuming but need confirmation that since the certified label says the GVWR is 11430lbs then I need to purchase tires capable of handling this weight not the advertised 9900lbs.

Thanks,

danemayer

Are you comparing the specs on a 2010 trailer to the specs listed for 2016 trailers with the same model #?

Rollin_Free

I'm pretty sure I'm looking online at 2010 Sundance 265RK specs and comparing them to the actual label on the 2010 I am looking at purchasing.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not sure where you are getting your truck tow ratings, but I am certain that your 2015 will have a hitch capacity of more than 1,200 pounds.
But to know for sure you will need to know the GVWR of your truck and how much it weighs ready for travel.

Peace
Dave

danemayer

I'm pretty sure I'm looking online at 2010 Sundance 265RK specs and comparing them to the actual label on the 2010 I am looking at purchasing.

I don't know that Heartland maintains a website with specs for older trailers. If you're looking at a dealer website, it's very possible they copied the 2016 specs from the Heartlandrvs.com website when they listed the 2010. A lot of things change over time and 6 years is a very long time in the RV world.

Rollin_Free

I'm not sure where you are getting your truck tow ratings, but I am certain that your 2015 will have a hitch capacity of more than 1,200 pounds.
But to know for sure you will need to know the GVWR of your truck and how much it weighs ready for travel.

Peace
Dave

I went to the scales with my truck full of fuel, 300lbs dead weight to simulate 2 additional people in addition to me, the 5th wheel hitch and a 75 lb generator in the bed. The certified labels show the weights on my truck are GVWR; 10,000, GAWR FRT: 5200 LB, GAWR RR: 6200 LB, and Payload is 2214 lbs. When I went to the scales fully loaded: Steering: 4920, Drive: 3580, Gross: 8500 lbs. So the adjusted hitch payload max is 10,000 - 8500 = 1500lbs remaining for 5th wheel hitch weight. The advertised GCWR: 24,500, and the Tow Capacity: 17,100lbs. That being said the 2010 Sundance 265RK hitch weight is listed as 1270lbs. I looked everywhere inside the trailer for a label of some kind but was not able to find one. The only one I found was on the outside on the front left side of the 5er overhang which only listed the GVWR as 11,430lbs instead of the 9900lbs I was expecting to see.

I located an online owners manual for this year 5th wheel. The GVWR is 11,430lbs and the Hitch is 1270lbs. I think you are correct that there was an error on the listing that said the GVWR was 9900lbs. I think other than actually weighing the trailer I have the weight numbers that match my truck so I should be able to continue with this purchase. Thanks for the information.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
There should be a yellow tag on the inside of the door frame with the actual scaled weights of that unit. Then there should be a white label on the driver side, near the propane bay door that lists the GVWR and the tire requirements.

Look like these:

c67d1fb51cb9367155bad44af2777195.jpg
(an example)

f934e74d111be9e716a8a45881438a05.jpg
(an example)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danemayer

That being said the 2010 Sundance 265RK hitch weight is listed as 1270lbs. I looked everywhere inside the trailer for a label of some kind but was not able to find one. The only one I found was on the outside on the front left side of the 5er overhang which only listed the GVWR as 11,430lbs instead of the 9900lbs I was expecting to see.

Listed pin weights are based on prototypes, often without any options, including "forced options" and "packages".
And the 9,900 and 1,270 weights are likely from a redesigned, lighter trailer, not from the one you're looking at.

You should plan on a pin weight of 15-20% of the trailer GVWR. That would be 1,714 - 2,286 lbs. pin weight.

wrgrs50s

I ran into the same confusion when I purchased my Sundance in my sig line. I looked at the rigs listed as 9900 and they had 4400lb axles. Mine had 5200lb axles therefore the higher GVW.

mlpeloquin

Listed pin weights are based on prototypes, often without any options, including "forced options" and "packages".
And the 9,900 and 1,270 weights are likely from a redesigned, lighter trailer, not from the one you're looking at.

You should plan on a pin weight of 15-20% of the trailer GVWR. That would be 1,714 - 2,286 lbs. pin weight.

He is correct. All the options added are not part of what is on the label along with all the stuff you add such as close, bedding, food, etc... Many of the fifth wheels at the Goshen rally last year were as much as 4K pounds over weight. My Big Horn was as heavy and I will ever get it and was within 400 pounds of max weight. I have since removed a lot of stuff and weighed everything that I took out. Added a tool box to the truck, and then was able to put in a washer/dryer combo. My truck has a lot of reserve both in pin weight and towing capacity. Food and water will add more weight than you think.

Rollin_Free

I ran into the same confusion when I purchased my Sundance in my sig line. I looked at the rigs listed as 9900 and they had 4400lb axles. Mine had 5200lb axles therefore the higher GVW.

Ok I understand and will check to see what the axles are rated. So while it may seen a waste of time and/or money has anyone dry weighed their 2010 Sundance XLT 265RK 5th wheel to get starting weights. I really would like to know the hitch weights everyone else has documentated with the trailer empty. For those looking to purchase it would help knowing what we can expect for our actual starting weights. In my case I think the weights are within my max limits but still within if I leave the generator at home. While not ideal it gets me into an acceptable Heartland product until I lose one passenger or purchase a larger TV.

I really like this model and want to follow through with the purchase but if the dry hitch weights aren't even close to the advertised ones then I'll just have to give up and let this one go.

wrgrs50s

Ok I understand and will check to see what the axles are rated. So while it may seen a waste of time and/or money has anyone dry weighed their 2010 Sundance XLT 265RK 5th wheel to get starting weights. I really would like to know the hitch weights everyone else has documentated with the trailer empty. For those looking to purchase it would help knowing what we can expect for our actual starting weights. In my case I think the weights are within my max limits but still within if I leave the generator at home. While not ideal it gets me into an acceptable Heartland product until I lose one passenger or purchase a larger TV.

I really like this model and want to follow through with the purchase but if the dry hitch weights aren't even close to the advertised ones then I'll just have to give up and let this one go.

If I recall correctly, the 4400lb axles are 5 lug and the 5200lb axles are 6 lug. I can assure you that your duramax will not even know its back there. I pull my 277RL with a 6.0 2500 with no problems and its at least 750lbs heavier dry weight than the 265.

Rollin_Free

I have decided to make the jump and am finalizing the purchase of this 5th wheel Tuesday afternoon. I checked it out again today and the wheels have 6 lugs so it has the 5200lb axles as someone mentioned earlier. The enclosed undercarriage was not something I was aware the trailer had so it was a pleasant surprise to see it. Now I gotta get more serious about selling my Starcraft.

wrgrs50s

You will be very happy with the 5200lb axles vs the 4400lb. The 4400lb springs are too close to their limit and are more likely to flatten over time.

Another plus is that the 6 lug wheels will allow for an upgrade on your tires when you decide to replace them. Mine came with the towmax D rated tires with a max psi of 65lb and I had a tire separate within the first 6 months of use. I switched all 4 for Maxxis E rated tires that run at 80 psi to increase the load capacity. I contacted the wheel manufacturer and verified all 6 lug wheels are good for 80 psi.

If your rig comes with Towmax tires, do a search on here and read about all the failures, then get ready to purchase some Maxxis.

Rollin_Free

I upgraded my Starcraft tires from ST205/75R15 to LT235/75R15 tires last year and really like the performance of this change. Since I do have Power King on this rig (original equipment, 6 years old YIKES!!!) and am very aware of all the issues with them I'm definitely changing them out but not just because of age. I just need to pull the trailer 15 miles to get it home in a few days on the existing tires, fingers crossed. I'm pretty sure I'll have to start monitoring my weight again but I think it will be worth the little extra effort to get this better quality rig.

Last edited:

Rollin_Free

You will be very happy with the 5200lb axles vs the 4400lb. The 4400lb springs are too close to their limit and are more likely to flatten over time.

Another plus is that the 6 lug wheels will allow for an upgrade on your tires when you decide to replace them. Mine came with the towmax D rated tires with a max psi of 65lb and I had a tire separate within the first 6 months of use. I switched all 4 for Maxxis E rated tires that run at 80 psi to increase the load capacity. I contacted the wheel manufacturer and verified all 6 lug wheels are good for 80 psi.

If your rig comes with Towmax tires, do a search on here and read about all the failures, then get ready to purchase some Maxxis.

I appreciate your insight but have a couple of questions: I'm pretty sure the Goodyear Maxxis are LT style tires but what size were the original ones and what size Maxxis did you purchase? What made you decide to purchase Maxxis over Sailun's?

Last year I converted to LT tires on my Starcraft initially to gain trailer height. A couple of years ago I removed the China Bombs and purchased ST205/75R15C1 Carlisle Radial Trail RH from Discount Tire that worked really well when I still had my Tundra. When I switched to the Duramax the bed height changed enough that I needed to do something to raise the trailer a little more. Putting LT tires on raised the trailer almost 2" and gave me the height needed to help level the trailer. I really like the stability that I have seen with LT tires so I plan to change over to them as soon as I get the new to me trailer home.

I getting a little anxious waiting for the purchase tomorrow but will just have to spend the rest of the day emptying out my other 5th wheel to take my mind off the newer rig.

Thanks again for your thoughts and insight.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I appreciate your insight but have a couple of questions: I'm pretty sure the Goodyear Maxxis are LT style tires but what size were the original ones and what size Maxxis did you purchase? What made you decide to purchase Maxxis over Sailun's?

Last year I converted to LT tires on my Starcraft initially to gain trailer height. A couple of years ago I removed the China Bombs and purchased ST205/75R15C1 Carlisle Radial Trail RH from Discount Tire that worked really well when I still had my Tundra. When I switched to the Duramax the bed height changed enough that I needed to do something to raise the trailer a little more. Putting LT tires on raised the trailer almost 2" and gave me the height needed to help level the trailer. I really like the stability that I have seen with LT tires so I plan to change over to them as soon as I get the new to me trailer home.

I getting a little anxious waiting for the purchase tomorrow but will just have to spend the rest of the day emptying out my other 5th wheel to take my mind off the newer rig.

Thanks again for your thoughts and insight.

I don't believe that the Sailuns are made in a 15" tire . . .

I've heard good reports on both the Maxxis and Carlisle tires . . .

I have Hi Run ST tires on our Prowler . . .

Just got back from a trip to Arizona . . . so far so good!

wrgrs50s

The deciding factor for me on the Maxxis was I could not find an LT in the 225 75 15 that had enough load capacity. Also, Maxxis has the longest warranty of any trailer tire. Its 5 yrs. Google them and see what you think, they have a good reputation for an ST tire.

I don't hear good things about the Good Year Marathons in that size, and as JohnD stated I don't believe the Sailuns are available in the 15 inch.

Rollin_Free

Well ironically I have that same size so looks like Sailun tires are not an option. I have a GVWR of 11,430lbs so when I start looking I'll go to Discount Tire 1st to see what options they have. I've always been treated well, they helped with my last trailer tire conversion to LT's, and best of all they are only 4 miles, at the most, from my house.