G' Day from Down Under - Ideas on FT unit for Canada

G' Day everyone,

My name is Noel, my partner Kathy and I currently live in Queensland Australia. We are about to move to Alberta as I have secured a job in Edmonton that will have us spending up to 8 months a year working all around Western Canada.

We are looking at purchasing a 5th Wheeler so we can be comfortable while away from home. While I was in Edmonton for the interview I got to look over a few trailers in an RV lot in Edmonton, I looked at a couple of Jayco's and Big Horn's plus a few others. I was blown away, we don't see much of this kinda thing over here.

Anyway, now I have to decide on a purchase. I am still undecided as to whether to go with a Toy Hauler or Standard Unit. I particularly like the BH's but I will most likely pick up an ATV and/or sled for the days off so the Toy Hauler would be the best way to go. What if any are the shortfalls of the Toy Haulers compared to the Standard Trailers?

Do the Toy Haulers come with the full Winter Kit?

I have spent a bit of time reading through old posts and was a little surprised by all the problems, are they as bad as all that or is not as common as it seems?

Anyway I better finish this here for now, thanks in advance for any and all replies.

Cheers Noel

jbeletti

Hi Noel and Kathy,

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your pending move near our neighbors to the north.

I will address a few of your questions and concerns and then you'll get a lot of feedback from others.

Winter Kit:
Heartland trailers are pretty well insulated. There is no winter or arctic package. Most Heartlands have enclosed and heated underbellies. Tank heating pads are an option and you will want to order them. You will also want to order the coach with dual pane windows.

Other Winter Camping Considerations:
In any location with sustained sub-freezing weather, with any brand trailer, you will want to take other precautions when stationary for the winter season. Such as:
  • Convert sewer discharge to PVC pipe, insulate it and maybe wrap with heat tape too
  • Heat tape wrap water hose and heavily insulate. Same for hose bib in campground, assuming your campground offers water through the winter
  • Add skirting around your trailer. Use wood or hay bales or both.
  • Rent a large propane bottle from a local vendor so you don't have to change out bottles often.
  • Use incandescent lights in vulnerable locations under trailer to keep a bit of warmth near sensitive areas (low drain points for one)
  • Use your furnace as no warm air is pushed into the underbelly if you use only space heaters
  • Use space heaters and/or fireplace to "supplement", not replace the use of the furnace
  • Consider special ordering of air conditioners with the heat pump option as you can use the heat pump to warm the coach down to about 40 degrees F outside.

Best of luck!

Jim

htneighbors

Unbelievably Blessed!
Noel & Kathy,

Welcome! As the proud owner of a new Heartland, I want to add to Jim's comment about dual pane windows. Make sure the model you desire actually has them as an option, otherwise you would have purchase them custom-made. I ordered my Cyclone (toyhauler) with that option, (dealership assumed they were available) only to find out later the factory didn't yet offer them. This was the first year for the 3950 and the demand/desire for them thus far, couldn't warrant the factory option. Understandable and also something I decided to do without - since this is the model I wanted. I did get the heating pads for all my tanks, as I knew I would be needing them.

Toy hauler shortfall: less 'living area' due to the garage taking up the space. Not actually a shortfall for me - it's something I was willing to live with since I was definitely taking my motorcycle with me! No problem...besides...I love to be close to my wife! :D

Other than that, IMHO - the Cyclone is as well-built as you can get. It has the enclosed, heated underbelly Jim mentioned and as I prepare to live in it through the winter, I will be taking all the other necessary steps he outlined as well.

No worries, mate - just plan ahead and be prepared! :)