Bathroom Door

Gary521

When looking at current model Bighorns, there appears to be a small issue to me. With some models with the hallway to the bedroom on the door side, there is a door to the bedroom and a door to the bath. If the door to the bedroom is closed, it seems very difficult to open the bath door without opening the bedroom door first. Is this an issue? if you have guests for the night, how do they get into the bath without opening the bedroom door? If the door would swing the other way, it appears that the problem ( if there is a problem ) would be much less. Am I missing something?

happykraut

The bathroom door use to open to the right. People would complain that the were falling down the steps as the came out of the bathroom, so now Heartland reversed the door.

DougS

Doug S
While at the Tampa Show in Jan, I talked to a couple of the HL factory reps about a pivot door. This style door seems to swing from the middle of the door instead of the edge of the door making it possible to pass by the door when it is open. There are SOB's that were at the show that are using this style door, I think it might solve the door problem in some units. Hopefully HL will look into this system for future units. I even volunteered to have a test door installed in our unit.

Gary521

I see that some others have flipped the door. I was wondering if anyone has a thought of adding a top support so that a bifold door could be used to replace the existing door? Not sure if DougS was referring to this or something else.

- - - Updated - - -

Another thought would be skinny French doors.

pegmikef

We have never had a problem. When in the hallway our bathroom opens out from the left as you face it. The bedroom door opens in from the left side. On the rare occasions the bedroom door is closed, I stand on a lower step, reach over and pull the bathroom door all the way open (it will open a full 180 degrees). Easy.

mlpeloquin

I never thought about it much. Only twice was the bedroom door closed and I had to get into the bathroom. I am still thin enough to make it, but it was tight. We normally keep the bedroom door open. A pivot door would be nice.

MikeR

Our Big Country has a pocket door to use when entering the bathroom. We have the standard door for entrance to the bedroom. It is hinged on the right side as you face it from the hallway and opens into the hallway. It works well for us.

DougS

Doug S
A pivot door is different from a bifold door in that it opens partly inside a room and the other half of the door opens outward, it is a one piece unit. I was told a pocket door would not work for most units because of existing wiring, so move the wiring. Many units now have a sliding door going into the bedroom from the bath, so why not both doors. Probably a pocket door would solve most problems. Personally I have no problem with the way our door swings, stepping on the top step to open door is not a problem.

I see that some others have flipped the door. I was wondering if anyone has a thought of adding a top support so that a bifold door could be used to replace the existing door? Not sure if DougS was referring to this or something else.

- - - Updated - - -

Another thought would be skinny French doors.

We have the Big Horn 3160 and it is hard to get into the bathroom because the door opened up to stairs and it is easy to fall. We contacted Heartland and they agree. They are reversing our door so that it opens to the bedroom side at no charge. We do not close our bedroom door so now it will be easy to get into and out of without having to step down to get in or out.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Our ElkRidge had 2 entrances to the bath, and both were pocket doors. Loved this!

It really was an issue for me when I would see floorplans with only one door, and that door made you go down the stairs to open it.

In Our Big Country 4010RD, the bath has two doors -- one pocket door in the Bedroom, and a standard door in the Hall. We seem to have more landing space between the stairs and the bedroom door, so that the Hall entrance Bathroom Door can open and we have plenty of space -- we don't have to step down any stairs! This was a key selling feature for me!

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, I saw the swivel door that was mentioned above, at the rv show in a Montana. Seemed to work fairly well, but could be fussy if the site was not level.

IMG_9909.jpgIMG_9910.jpg

Oregon_Camper

While I see your point of wanting the door to open toward the bedroom, I have another point of view.

When we take showers, we typically leave the bathroom door opened half way as well as the bedroom door. This give the illusion the bathroom is MUCH bigger than it really is. If the door when the other way, this would not be possible.

BusManRG

We have the Big Horn 3160 and it is hard to get into the bathroom because the door opened up to stairs and it is easy to fall. We contacted Heartland and they agree. They are reversing our door so that it opens to the bedroom side at no charge. We do not close our bedroom door so now it will be easy to get into and out of without having to step down to get in or out.
We ordered our 3160 and requested that our door open away from the bedroom. The idea being that there is more privacy in the bath/bedroom area, but more importantly having to step down in the middle of the night just to step back up into the bathroom felt like an accident waiting to happen. And honestly, if we know someone well enough to invite them to stay with us in a tiny trailer, then (the few times that will happen) we can probably survive them stepping into the bedroom while we are sleeping.
Sounded good on paper, but the unit arrived with the door opening the wrong direction. It's currently in for warranty work and should be reversed when we pick it up. I hope.

Sandy

SNOKING

Some of the earlier 3575el had the hall door to the Bathroom swing towards the steps, so to come up the stairs and go into the bathroom the bedroom door had to be opened. Not good for guest etc. So they reverse the swing so the door swings towards the bedroom door, so guest can access the bathroom easily. The slider to the bedroom allows owner easy access to the bathroom. With a single bathroom door people may like it the original way.

This is the original way, ours swings the other way.

http://www.heartlandrvs.com/images/...floorplans/thumbs/phoca_thumb_l_BH_3575EL.png

Chris

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
At the recent Detroit RV Show, there was a rig with a similar bathroom door problem. It was not well liked by those I encountered while in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk