Anyone upgraded to car audio system?

silvasp

I'm considering swapping my RV5090 for a Pioneer Car Audio system (with DVD). The problem is, the RV stereo has 3 zones, Front, Rear, and outside and the Pioneer only has two zones. Front and rear.
Is it safe to put the front and rear speakers on the same zone together, and leave the outdoor on it's own?

Anyone done this or something like it?

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
I thought when I looked at the installed wiring on my system, I had the front and rear tied together and then the outside already.

The three zones that I seem to have are inside/outside and both.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Our system has 3 zones also. Living room, bedroom or outside. Thinking of adding a seperate audio system in the outside compartment with speakers. Better sound and easier access to the controls.

silvasp

I thought when I looked at the installed wiring on my system, I had the front and rear tied together and then the outside already.

The three zones that I seem to have are inside/outside and both.

With my North Trail we can do all together or all separate or in any combination.

MCTalley

See if you can pull down one of the front or rear speakers and look at the back. See how many ohms it is. Look at the specs on the proposed new stereo and see what it will drive (usually will state something like minimum 2 ohms or 4 ohms). Based on that information and the fact that two speakers in parallel will divide the ohms by 2 (i.e. two 4 ohm speakers in parallel will look like a single 2 ohm speaker), or two speakers in series will double the ohms (i.e. two 4 ohm speakers in series will look like a single 8 ohm speaker), you should be able to figure out how to hook them up.

Most modern amps are pretty forgiving, so even if you wired them in parallel and didn't run the volume up too high you should be fine.