Best Streaming recording

Jmmon416

Ok, not sure if possible but I think it has to be just have found the way yet. Is there a way to use Roku, Apple TV, Or any other streaming boxes to stream and record to watch later. Almost like you would on cable DVR? I am looking for a clean platform to play shows while traveling for a few days at a time. I know that some RV parks have Internet connections and also I could use internet through my phone carrier (sprint) but from past experience this usually is very slow and constantly buffers. Any ideas out there? Also I do not want to have big box or computer. I like the idea of small hard drive/roku box. I do not mind downloading content at my house prior to trip ETC.

mlpeloquin

Almost all parks have WYFI, but most are not good. The few we have had that are fast limit the amount of data per day. So a movie or TV program will not be able to be accomplished because they will cut you off until the next day.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Almost all parks have WYFI, but most are not good. The few we have had that are fast limit the amount of data per day. So a movie or TV program will not be able to be accomplished because they will cut you off until the next day.

Yep. What he said. We had thought of carrying a wireless blu-Ray player, would be worthless. Rv parks have limited bandwidth and restrictions. Basically you're allowed to check email and social media. No games , no movies, etc. you'll need to have your own carrier and data plan. Others that work from the rig will probably chime in with their remarks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Ok, not sure if possible but I think it has to be just have found the way yet. Is there a way to use Roku, Apple TV, Or any other streaming boxes to stream and record to watch later. Almost like you would on cable DVR? I am looking for a clean platform to play shows while traveling for a few days at a time. I know that some RV parks have Internet connections and also I could use internet through my phone carrier (sprint) but from past experience this usually is very slow and constantly buffers. Any ideas out there? Also I do not want to have big box or computer. I like the idea of small hard drive/roku box. I do not mind downloading content at my house prior to trip ETC.

We used to download movies to our Apple TV prior to a trip to watch on the trip.

I doubt you'd find many parks that would let you stream and/or download that much data.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jmmon416

I did not know you could download movies to the Apple TV. I didn't know it stored it to replay later. This is a good option. Thanks. I have Apple TV that I seldom use here at the house

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
My son downloaded movies from Amazon to his iPad to view while on a flight recently. If you downloaded them to a laptop you could connect the laptop to the TV via a HDMI cable for viewing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
I have a small PC and an internal Wireless network ( WiFi Ranger ) I have Cyclone wired for network. I have a Sonos system in the RV to stream music from the internet ( or from my PC ) over the wireless network. I have not yet pulled the HDMI cable to connect the PC to the TV to show downloaded TV and Movies but that is project for this spring.

Oregon_Camper

I have the perfect solution for you. I use this to record TV shows for when I take international flights (flew just over 150,000 miles last year alone) and it is AWESOME!!!

Record a show (or schedule the entire series!!) and then put it on any device.

Works with everything...Hulu, HBO, Showtime, Amazon, Cable TV, etc...

https://www.playon.tv/

szewczyk_john

If your TV has a USB port on it, you can put any movie onto a flash drive and then watch it on your TV later. If you have a movie file already on a computer, simply copy it to your flash drive. Then plug the flash drive into the USB port on the TV and the TV should switch over to Media player. I have never downloaded a movie to a flash drive but it shouldn't be that difficult on a computer. I also have loaded up an Apple TV as well.

Jmmon416

Thanks for replies all, I researched all whom replied responses. I think I found a solution that might work. Going to try Slingbox 500. I can access any cable, satellite, or media players I have at my house remotely. I know that I will need wifi connection but I am hoping my IPHONE hot spot does the trick. Will bring iPad movies as backup. I know we are Glamping but late night good to watch the tube a little with the kids before calling it a night.

danemayer

Thanks for replies all, I researched all whom replied responses. I think I found a solution that might work. Going to try Slingbox 500. I can access any cable, satellite, or media players I have at my house remotely. I know that I will need wifi connection but I am hoping my IPHONE hot spot does the trick. Will bring iPad movies as backup. I know we are Glamping but late night good to watch the tube a little with the kids before calling it a night.

The bigger the picture and the higher the picture quality, the more data it takes to fill the screen. You can go through an enormous amount of data on your phone's plan in order to watch movies on your TV. A 2 hour movie in HD can use close to 2 Gigabytes on a Roku or similar device. An Amazon Fire TV box can consume over 10 Gigabytes for a 2 hour movie. Streaming from a Slingbox at home will also consume a tremendous amount of data when you connect using your iPhone.

Jmmon416

Geez,
i thought I had it all figured out. I didn't realize how much data streaming uses. I have unlimited data on iPhone so thought it wouldn't be a problem. I have unlimited data on my device itself, but only 3G using hotspot. I was back to square one. I then figured I could use the Xfinity to go app on my phone and use Apple TV to mirror. WRONG 😡 Comcast/Xfinity blocks mirroring while using app. I can watch TV on my phone which has unlimited data but cannot mirror it to TV. I am determined to find a solution just because I am a gadget person and I know there is a "work around" lol
i will keep you updated.Stay tuned !

danemayer

Geez,
i thought I had it all figured out. I didn't realize how much data streaming uses. I have unlimited data on iPhone so thought it wouldn't be a problem. I have unlimited data on my device itself, but only 3G using hotspot. I was back to square one. I then figured I could use the Xfinity to go app on my phone and use Apple TV to mirror. WRONG  Comcast/Xfinity blocks mirroring while using app. I can watch TV on my phone which has unlimited data but cannot mirror it to TV. I am determined to find a solution just because I am a gadget person and I know there is a "work around" lol
i will keep you updated.Stay tuned !
3G data speed will support video streaming, but only if you have a very good signal. Generally, the further you are from the cell tower, the lower and more inconsistent your speed will be. Also, some carriers say "unlimited" but if you start using what they consider excessive amounts of data, they'll take action to reduce your data usage. The most common approach is to set a daily data limit after which they throttle your speed. At the throttled down speed, you still have unlimited data, but maybe not enough speed to stream video.

Campgrounds with good WiFi usually also have daily limits after which they slow you down. Here's an actual example of bandwidth shaping. After using 300 MB of data, connection speed drops from 7 Mb/sec to 2 Mb/sec. The more data you use in 24 hours, the slower your connection gets.
bandwidth shaping.jpg

MikeR

A 2 hour movie in HD can use close to 2 Gigabytes on a Roku or similar device. An Amazon Fire TV box can consume over 10 Gigabytes for a 2 hour movie. Streaming from a Slingbox at home will also consume a tremendous amount of data when you connect using your iPhone.

Why does Amazon use 5 times the amount of data than Roku?

szewczyk_john

Slingbox is not watchable thru hotspot connections. it will buffer real bad. I have the sling box free from dish and it does work well on line hookups but is terrible using wifi and/or hotspot. That said I haven't even tried it for a few years so if you have good experience please share that info. I had mine installed through the "dish anywhere" program.

Oregon_Camper

If you want to record the shows while at home...use my link early and get PlayOn.

If you want to Stream recorded content from a home device try Plex.

If you want to use your hotspot and just watch TV of internet, try Kodi.

danemayer

Why does Amazon use 5 times the amount of data than Roku?

I tried to find the answer to that a bit over a year ago. It was widely discussed on the internet, but no one knew why.

My guess is that it's a problem in the way the box buffers data.

That all said, I see where they've increased internal storage to 8GB, so maybe that eliminated the problem.