Hot Wires

Calicajun

Own a Wilderness 2014 2775RBS TT and was wondering how long you can leave the 12v lights on? I have noticed that the light switch and the wires running down the wall from the switch get very hot. Just wondering how long they can be left on before the heat start a fire?

Thanks,
Craig

danemayer

Sounds like you have high resistance in the circuit. You probably need to change the switch as it shouldn't be getting hot.

wdk450

Along with changing out the switch, I would think very seriously about changing all of your 12 volt light bulbs to LED equivalents; LED's pull 1/10th of the current of incandescent bulbs. Current flow squared times resistance equals watts of heat, so making the current flow 1/10 of what it was will produce 1/100 of the heating produced before. For example, a 10 amp circuit draw experiencing a 1 ohm resistance at the switch will produce 100 watts of heat: a 1 amp circuit draw experiencing a 1 ohm resistance at the switch will produce 1 watt of heat.

I am a retired electronics technician.

Calicajun

Thanks for the replies.
I was already planning on changing out the existing bulbs for LED to help with dry camping battery life. Never thought about the switch causing the heat issue, just assumed it was bad wiring from the factory. Will change out the switch first just to see what happens, the I will change out the light bulbs.

Thanks,
Craig N6TNK

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Pull the switch from the wall and check the connections, too. They've been known to be less than stellar in making the connections, thus causing arcing and heating.