Winterizing the Big Horn

cdbMidland

Past Michigan Chapter Leader
Went camping this weekend for the last time this year and figured that I would winterize the plumbing system before leaving the campground. Here is what I did (the campground had no running water available so I knew I would not be able to use the black tank washout).

1. Ran the freshwater tank dry making sure that I had sufficient amounts in each of the waste tanks to get a good flush.

2. Pulled the anode out of the hot water heater - got a good flush.

3. Opened all of the drains that I could, but not much ran out.

4. Removed the panel and turned three valves to bypass the hot water heater.

5. Found the syphon hose and valve for winterizing. Placed in antifreeze jug. Turned on water pump.

6. Nothing happens!!!!!

7. Tried all of the valves again to make sure that each one turned 90 degrees which all had done. Not sure at this point if each valve is turned where it should be.

8. Dumped the black tank and two gray tanks at the sanitation station.

Any ideas as to why I could not get antifreeze through the water pump? I'm afraid that the instructions that came with the unit are quite incomplete.

H E L P ! !

phranc

Chuck. Pump may have lost prime ..Try this.. Turn valves the way they should be to bypass w/heater and turrn valve on to suck from the gal jug . that valves black handle should be in an inline position ,not across..Then take suction tube and extend it a carefully pour anti freeze (or water) into tube. start pump for a second and then refill tube and insert tube into jug. start pump and see if it picks up . Then open a faucet. The spray hose iwill be handiest.. continue with your winterizing routine..

cdbMidland

Thanks, phranc.

My brother and I finally got the job done this afternoon. Priming wasn't the answer, although I tried it yesterday and we tried it again this afternoon.

Here's what finally worked.

1. Outside valves turned in the normal position - left open and right closed.

2. Hot water bypass valves - top and bottom clockwise and middle one counter-clockwise.

3. Syphon hose valve counter-clockwise.

4. Pinch off hose from fresh water tank - this is a necessity to privide suction.

Changes we are making for next time...

1. Hinge the access cover plate to allow for easier access. With the Quick-Draw slide, the frame blocks the access cover. In order to get to the valves, I had to remove the clamp holding the duct to the vent to allow me to slide the access cover over.

2. Add a valve to the inlet hose to the water pump so it doesn't have to be pinched off.

3. Since the valve to the syphon hose is so hard to reach (other side of the water pump - needed a mirror to even see it), put a valve toward the end of the hose allowing enough hose after the valve to fit into a gallon jug of antifreeze.

nemo45

I believe if there is no seperate valve to shut of the suction to the tank that the valve to the suction hose (a two way valve) allows suction to that hose and closes the suction to the tank. If it allows suction to the tank turn it the opposite way (closed to the tank) and it should allow suction to the hose. My Open Road does not have a two way valve but a capped fitting for the suction hose and a shut off valve to the tank. You simply remove the cap, install the hose and close the valve to the tank and you're all set. But my previous fifth wheel (Wildcat) had the two way valve. You should not have to crimp the suction line to the tank to get it to work. If it doesn't work properly the valve may be installed in the line wrong.

phranc

Thanks Chuck.. We are going down to Va. for a week and will winterize on way home . Last trip of the year..boo hoo.. So I appreciate your tips as this will save me some aggravation at the last campground..
BTW. I used velcro to attach the felted access panels . No more screws .I bought the Industrial strength velcro with the sticky back.I still wasn't confident that the sticky back would adhere so I also glued the back of the velcro with GorillaGlue. Now the panels are easy to get off and replace.

phranc

As an update to the winterizing routine. I found an additional valve that looks like it might be the one 'nemo' was talking about. after a while of messing around and not getting any antifreeze out of jug, and also bumping shutoff to water heater with my elbow,thus allowing antifreeze to go into water heater, I found said valve......Turned valve 1/4 turn and 5 min later all was done. I did blow out all lines with air before trying to pump in the pink stuff. That seems like a step I may not do next year.
I like the idea of an additional shutoff on the suction tube,that one could reach, and a pump switch near the docking center would be nice..
Now ,to cover ,or not to cover ??

cdbMidland

phranc, where was that valve. I found five, but none that would cause suction from the jug.

I am going to cover the space, but with two piano hinges - one a couple of inches from the bottom and the other below the cutout for the heating duct. Hope to cut the plywood without cutting through the felt so that the hinge will not be visible, except for the screws. Anyone know if 24" hinges are available? I've found 12", 30" and 48" hinges at Lowes and a Do-it hardware, but no 24" hinges. I don't know if a hinge can be cut back.

Water pump switch would be nice to have, but haven't figured out where and how to do it.

fireflipper

EX-Travel Bug
Fireflipper

Just a quick reply about the hinge thing. Yes, a piano hinge can be cut, and to what ever lenght you need. Good Luck

phranc

Chuck.. 5 valves seems right .. 3 on the water heater.. 1 on the suction tube and 1 more near the pump. I had over looked the last valve as it was almost on the floor in a tangle of hoses. But it appears that you had found all the valves allready, maybe that last valve ,the one near the pump,was installed incorrectly or is defective.
Perhaps someone who knows more will chime in

J

Jim_1899

Empting Fresh Water Tank

I winterized today after getting back from this weekend. I wanted to know what is the best, and or faster way to empty the fresh water tank. Since where we camp there is not water we have to fill the fresh water tank. Its funny since we conserve the water so that we don't run out and then if we do a good job we work at emptying the tank after each use to winterize.

I quick comment on the fifth valve. I close it when siphoning, and open the valve to the siphon hose. It works this way but I am not sure what this fifth value opens and shuts off. I thought it might go to the hot water tank, but have no idea.

phranc

Jim 1899..Boy oh boy , a whole year has gone by since this post started . we've all had some time to look things over and refine the winterizing procedure.... That 5 valve is a shutoff for the fresh water tank.. It works just like you have been doing.. Shut off the 5th valve and turn on the suction valve for hose that goes to the antifreeze..
Easiest way to empty the fresh tank is to open the drain valve for the tank.. If your trailer is set up like mine the drain valve will be hanging down underneath about a foot to the right of the docking sta ..Otherwise you can power drain by changing the valves as indicated in the docking sta and running your waterpump..
Let us know how you make out.......

J

Jim_1899

Power Drain

Thanks a whole lot, I will try it when I get back from Thanksgiving. Do you just change the settings to drain with the pump on and it pumps out onto the ground. (Do I change the setting on the fifth valve?) Opening the drain value on the hose from the fresh tank takes forever. I was emptying the fresh tank by running it out a faucet until it quit, and then driving with the drain valve open.

One last comment - do you keep the gray tanks valve open which you empty the tanks into the hose that goes down the dump. I did to allow air flow just incase the tank might not have emptied completely, but did not want to open the black valve for obvious reasons.

Last edited: