Kingpin Tripods

LINKn8r

For those of you with 5th Wheels, what is the purpose of placing a tripod under the kingpin? Does it make a noticeable difference for anything?

Oldlthrneck

Just an Old Jarhead
Supposedly that king pin support is for stability to minimize the rocking of the trailer. I used one for a bit and didn't notice any difference. If anything we felt it made it worse.
JMHO
Fred

Barry & Alana

We've used one for several years. I really notice when its not used.
We find it takes more of the side to side motion out of it. Its probably one of those things thats a personal choice -you either like or don't like!

Tom of Ypsi

If you are going to be at the rally I have one for sale. We use the tripod with our last 5th wheel, not need with our Landmark because we have the trailair hitch.

Forrest Fetherolf

For those of you with 5th Wheels, what is the purpose of placing a tripod under the kingpin? Does it make a noticeable difference for anything?

I have used a aluminum tripod, which does stabilize the RV. It is difficult to use if you have a TrailAir hitch-pin. I built the attached landing jack stabilizers for under $40, they are lighter, permanently attached, no storage space required, and under a minute to tighten. You can buy similar jack stabilizers online for $369 or more. After using both, I prefer to landing jack stabilizers.

Forrest

Attachments

• RV Jack Stabilizer 001.JPG
    RV Jack Stabilizer 001.JPG
    300.3 KB · Views: 322
  • RV Jack Stabilizer 004.JPG
    RV Jack Stabilizer 004.JPG
    280 KB · Views: 323
  • RV Jack Stsbilizer 007.JPG
    RV Jack Stsbilizer 007.JPG
    371.1 KB · Views: 356
  • RV Jack Stablizer 006.JPG
    RV Jack Stablizer 006.JPG
    410.8 KB · Views: 327

ChopperBill

I never tried one and probably wont. There has to be a limit to how many gimmicks you and buy and store. I think they look kind of hokey so I will pass on this one.

Jburks

We used a tripod with another brand and it seemed to help, have not seen the need with our Sundance.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I use one if I am set up for more than a couple days, but since I have installed the stablizers on the landing gear the one for the kingpin seems like overkill. I never really did notice a whole lot of difference when I did use the kingpin stablizer. Personal choice I guess...

WRIGHT ll

retired Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
Several years ago we purchased a kingpin bipod which was supposed to provide the front of the 5er with support when the 5er wasn't attached to a TV. We no longer use it and I think it more than paid for itself over the years. Our BH has a trail-air pin box so it wouldn't work anyway. It is looking for a good home, FREE, if somebody would like to stop in Oklahoma City and take it off my hands. If somebody is interested send me a PM and let me know.

Clark

I have had a kingpin bipod for a number of years with my McKenzie Lakota 5W and it always seemed to improve the stability on that unit. I have just returned from a trip to Disney, about 1000 miles each way, and used the bipod while parked at the Fort Wilderness campground. The BH3055 was rock solid. I should note that the 3055 feels like it has much less rocking and swaying when parked than the Lakota anyway, so it may not be as useful now as it was previously.
Clark

HappyKayakers

We've used a kingpin tripod for the last 2 years and it makes a difference to us. Can't use it at our current site because of the slope on the site. At another site, we had to air down the TrailAir pinbox to get it level. Called the folks at TrailAir first and they said no problem doing that -it will just rest on the stops.

kjazz

We will be picking up our new Cyclone 3950 on Monday. I didn't notice much movement when we where checking it out. Is this something that we are going to notice later? I am obviously new to all of this so I would appreciate any advice. Thanks

aatauses

Before you go with a king pin you should at least review the different type of stabilizers that are on the market. We bought Ultra Fab and have had very good success.
aatauses

Cycloner3950

Crazy for Camping!
If anything, it will protect you or a loved one from hitting their head or worse.....

The aluminum tri-pods are light and easy to set up.....so my wife says...lol

caissiel

Forest, where did you get your material,
I feel its the only way to create the feel of being stable, the new tripods have an adjustable screw that defeats the tripods purpose. I tried to tie down the legs with ratchet straps and it did a so and so job but the straps were stretchable.
I make my own stuff for my camper and so far its been the best for me. A good coat of paint makes my items look good and heavy duty.

palebluedot

I also have a tri-pod (galv. steel/heavy) for free if anyone is interested and in the area. We used it a few times and did not notice a great difference. It's been stored in the shop for over 3 years. I now use a couple of scissor jacks placed under the frame just in front of the front axle. This locates them about equal distance between the front landing gear and rear stabilizer. With the Bighorn being over 38 feet, it makes a world of difference (much better than the tri-pod) by not allowing the springs to flex when walking around in the unit.

biggziff

The tripods work wonderfully if used properly. They'll remove nearly all side to side movement from the unit. The trick is that you need to orient them correctly and then load them (weight) properly. I've shown many people at campgrounds how to make their tripod work the way they had hoped it would!

Having said that...the landing gear cross braces are a better choice as they're easier to use and smaller to store.

Delaine and Lindy

King Pin Stablizer.

Used the King Pin Stablizer on our first 4 5th wheels but found it did little for us, so I gave it away. We only use our Hydraulic Jacks now. And have no need for any other stablization. GBY....

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I installed the Ultra-Fab stabilizers before we ever used the trailer, so I never tried using the tripod or bipod system. My BiL uses a bipod on their smaller Golden Falcon and says he can tell the difference (mine is better)