Running off external Water Tank

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
We are working out of our RV and supply water to our RV from a 500 gallon external tank. The tank water is supplied with a shurflo 4048 water pump. It gives us enough pressure to use the shower ok. Or one water device at a time. I use a 3 canister filter set up in between the pump and our shore water inlet. My question is would it work if I installed a 2nd pump in between the filter and the coach? Or would the 2 pumps try and fit each other?

Garypowell

An interesting question. I believe it is built into each pump to have a pressure on/off switch. If the pressure is falling enough that you can only use one outlet at a time it would seem to me that the pressure would be low enough to allow both pumps to work independently and not shut each other off.

Another thought would be to simply purchase a larger "house" type pump that would work instead of your on-board Shurflo. Not sure of the cost but it would seem a big box store would have some of various sizes. We have friends with a well and they have a surge tank.....might need one of those too.

I am sure there are others more knowledgeable about how these pumps work that will chime in too.

Let us know what you come up with.

2psnapod2

Gary I am not using my pump. The one pump that is being used, is a separate pump all together. I was just trying to use what was there and another pump that they will provide. I have thought about just adding a 120V pump in place of theirs but I really don't want to use my cash.

jnbhobe

Why not just pump from the tank to your on board water tank, then just fill up every few days.

2psnapod2

I could, but I was trying not to have to put the extra use on our pump. But that is an option.

wdk450

Be sure you chlorinate the 500 gallon tank of water. I worked on water for dialysis systems, and a 50 gallon tank we had being filled with Reverse Osmosis disinfected water for a dialyzer reprocessing system had to be drained, sterilized, and refilled every couple of days to keep down possible bacterial growth.

2psnapod2

We don't drink the water and always sterilize once we get back on city water. And my 3 canister filter has a charcoal filter also.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk