Backing up...

skiph

We have had an RV before (baby motorhome). And sometime in 1970 I pulled a U-Haul from WA to TX. Didn't get myself in any situation that required backing up.

So, everyone had to have done their first back up at one time or another. Besides "playing" in a Walmart parking lot, what else can I do to "train" myself?

I have watched a ton of Youtube videos. Not even thinking that makes me an expert except at watching Youtube videos.

Looking for suggestions on how/where to practice. Got some extension mirrors for my F150. But maybe back up cameras on the trailer etc? Help or hinderance?

We should be picking up our 22RBK tomorrow or the next day.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks.

Diamondjim

Do your search here. Lots of great thoughts and ideas.
I've towed all sorts of trailers for 50 years. Just acquired our first 5th wheel. Remember to go slow and don't be afraid to pull forward and straighten up the whole unit. One trick I love, put your hand at the bottom of your steering wheel, move your hand (wheel) in the direction you want the back of the trailer to go.
The best YouTube I saw was a married couple advocating the "scoop", and using walkie talkies. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLtfrBWzNCw That opened some eyes and has proven worthwhile for me. They have several worthwhile suggestions in other videos they've produced.
Good luck, AND don't be intimidated by on lookers!:cool:

Garypowell

I still think practice is the only way you are going to get proficient at it. Even if you have a back up camera. I am still not that great at it after 20 some years but I do surprise myself at how much better I am now vs. then.

I would always recommend a spotter to keep you from hitting stuff. Linda and I discuss this before each backing. I tell her whT my plan is, what I am concerned about, and where to stand. We used to use walk ins but now use speaker phones.

The he hardest thing for Linda is to not tell me what to do. Took her a few (too many) to break her of that habit. If you are not behind the wheel and have never done it.....you just don't have the perspective to instruct.

Never hit a thing backing and I always got it in the spot.

JanAndBill

We have had an RV before (baby motorhome). And sometime in 1970 I pulled a U-Haul from WA to TX. Didn't get myself in any situation that required backing up.

So, everyone had to have done their first back up at one time or another. Besides "playing" in a Walmart parking lot, what else can I do to "train" myself?

I have watched a ton of Youtube videos. Not even thinking that makes me an expert except at watching Youtube videos.

Looking for suggestions on how/where to practice. Got some extension mirrors for my F150. But maybe back up cameras on the trailer etc? Help or hinderance?

1. If you don't have trailer mirrors, then get them!! You have to be able to see.
2. Go slow!!!! A bumper trailer turns a LOT quicker than you might think when backing.
3. Use a spotter. Unlike others recommend, forget about cell phones, walkie talkies, etc. Unnecessary distractions, and stress are not what you need when backing. Hands on the wheel, eyes on the mirrors!
4. Your spotter should be giving you hand signals, Back, Left, Right and Stop. Agree what those signals are and NEVER deviate.
5. Always follow the rule. "If I can't see my spotter in my mirrors, I stop!! and If I don't understand my spotters signal I stop".
6. Practice in a parking lot if you can. You'll find you become proficient pretty quickly

avvidclif

1. If you don't have trailer mirrors, then get them!! You have to be able to see.
2. Go slow!!!! A bumper trailer turns a LOT quicker than you might think when backing.
3. Use a spotter. Unlike others recommend, forget about cell phones, walkie talkies, etc. Unnecessary distractions, and stress are not what you need when backing. Hands on the wheel, eyes on the mirrors!
4. Your spotter should be giving you hand signals, Back, Left, Right and Stop. Agree what those signals are and NEVER deviate.
5. Always follow the rule. "If I can't see my spotter in my mirrors, I stop!! and If I don't understand my spotters signal I stop".
6. Practice in a parking lot if you can. You'll find you become proficient pretty quickly

I agree with all except forget about cell phones. We use them. In the truck it's hands free and over the speakers. I can listen and talk and not have to do anything.

My DW finally figured out if the trailer stops I can't see her. Her primary job is to keep me from hitting something I can't see.

skiph

Really good ideas. And I really appreciate the responses. I know that once I have done it a few times, I won't be "quite" so intimidated about the idea. I have nightmares about taking GPS directions and winding up on a road that makes 179 degree turns. Thanks to those that have replied.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

I agree with all except forget about cell phones. We use them. In the truck it's hands free and over the speakers. I can listen and talk and not have to do anything.

My DW finally figured out if the trailer stops I can't see her. Her primary job is to keep me from hitting something I can't see.

We already have walkies, and plan on using them. When we had the RV we did use the spotter idea. Still married so it couldn't have been too bad. Will see how this works out.

- - - Updated - - -

Do have some nifty mirrors that "snap" right on the F150's OEM mirrors. Looks good. Function? We will have to see.

Hopefully the spotter thing will work. We shall, as they say, see.

- - - Updated - - -

Looked at "The Scoop". Going to give that, as well as 10,000 practice, a try. ;)

Do your search here. Lots of great thoughts and ideas.
I've towed all sorts of trailers for 50 years. Just acquired our first 5th wheel. Remember to go slow and don't be afraid to pull forward and straighten up the whole unit. One trick I love, put your hand at the bottom of your steering wheel, move your hand (wheel) in the direction you want the back of the trailer to go.
The best YouTube I saw was a married couple advocating the "scoop", and using walkie talkies. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLtfrBWzNCw That opened some eyes and has proven worthwhile for me. They have several worthwhile suggestions in other videos they've produced.
Good luck, AND don't be intimidated by on lookers!:cool:

JanAndBill

The reason I don't advocate verbal communication is that it's to easy for the spotter to be hidden. Also there is a tendency for people to give "To much" information. If the spotter can't communicate everything they need to then the driver should get out and look.

Lynn1130

Me too. I agree with everything but the advice on not using cell or radio. We use one or the other. She has to watch both sides and the back of the trailer when I am backing and there are times when I cannot see her. Most of those times I stop while she is checking but there are times that the angle of the truck and trailer mean hand signals are not visible to me. With either the phone and bluetooth or the radio where I do not have to respond is better than hand signals that can be confusing. Even if I stop while she is checking it is important to know clearance distances to gauge how far I need to move. If she thinks there is not enough clearance to make the swing or correction it is better that she tells me that in words rather than try to convey it in hand signals.

Bones

I agree with the cell phones. Only trouble is that normally everyone can hear too because the windows are down. We tried to do walkie talkies and trying to drive and steer and push buttons to talk back sucked.

- - - Updated - - -

Me too. I agree with everything but the advice on not using cell or radio. We use one or the other. She has to watch both sides and the back of the trailer when I am backing and there are times when I cannot see her. Most of those times I stop while she is checking but there are times that the angle of the truck and trailer mean hand signals are not visible to me. With either the phone and bluetooth or the radio where I do not have to respond is better than hand signals that can be confusing. Even if I stop while she is checking it is important to know clearance distances to gauge how far I need to move. If she thinks there is not enough clearance to make the swing or correction it is better that she tells me that in words rather than try to convey it in hand signals.

Yeah she yells stop!!!!!

Hoosier Wolverine

I'm not the greatest, but I've been at it a long time, so I've learned from experience. First of all, remember, whatever happens, it's the backers responsibility, so go slow, don't worry about holding up traffic. After all, it is a campground so others shouldn't be in a hurry. Don't be afraid to stop, get out and look to see for yourself. There have been times I've gotten out 3 or 4 times.
As some others have said, use a spotter and get your hand signals straight. I don't use a phone or walkie-talkie, but that's personal preference. Look the site over and tell your spotter your plan.
One last tip, if you have a choice, plan to approach from the direction in which the trailer's turn is to the drivers side. It's usually easier to see using the wheels as a guide.
Also diamondjim's suggestion on using "the scoop" from the YOUTUBE video was a Google one.

good luck
John

- - - Updated - - -

Correcting my typo. Didn't mean to say "Google one", should have been "good one"

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
I grew up on a ranch. As soon as I was old enough I was driving and backing implements from small trailers to 30 ft wide hay rakes. I also owned my own semi for years and have over 1 million miles over the road. With that being said, I remember a trip where I was delivering to a brand new Wall Mart distribution center. No one, not even one other truck or trailer was there. Should have been a straight on one shot backing into the dock that had about 30 unoccupied doors. Not so much. I still laugh at myself for having issues that day. Point of my story I guess is just safely get your rig where it needs to be because there will be days no matter what when the trailer just won't do what you want it to do. :D

AAdams

We use the cell phone with mine connected to the trucks blue tooth so I can leave my hands on the wheel. Generally I will get out and walk the site with Deb prior to trying to back in so we can be on the same page on what to look out for and where we want the trailer to sit in the site. As far as backing, the hand on the bottom of the steering wheel takes a lot of the confusion out of which way to turn to get the trailer to do what you want. Also remember that the closer the trailer axles are to the pin/hitch the quicker the trailer will react to a turn backing up. So a shorter trailer will jack knife quicker than a 40' trailer so GO SLOW! and stop if you have any doubt about how the trailer is going in to the site.

avvidclif

Also when backing don't look at the trailer, look at it's tires. They will tell you where the trailer is going.

MTPockets

"I" don't really like to use a "spotter". O.K. I do use my wife for the final positioning at the rear as I'm backing the last 4 or 5 feet. That's when she tells me I've reached my mark where I wanted the rear of the trailer. When I approach the campsite, I stop and get out to walk around checking for all obstacles like tree limbs, table, power pole, etc. and exactly where I want my rear trailer wheel to be when I'm parked. I focus my attention on the line of travel and pick a target for the rear trailer wheel, whichever side I can see. I've already done the walk around, so I know I'm not going to hit anything on the blind side if I follow my line on the side I can see. As I get straight, and it may take a forward pull or two to reposition when space is tight, I then can see her in my mirror to stop me when I am where I wanted the rear to stop. You'll be good with practice and as confidence builds. Back slow and enjoy!

GregP

We do not use cell phone or walkie talkies. It is ALWAYS the driver's responsibility to make sure the vehicle is going where he/she intends, but I am a big believer in using a spotter no matter how easy the "back-up" seems. You are backing a large vehicle combination, often in busy campgrounds with kids, dogs, and distracted campers walking or moving about. Not everyone respects the fact that you (the driver) have some major blind spot areas behind and alongside the vehicle and may well move into your path without you being aware. Go slow. Then go slower. Don't rush. There will often be no shortage of fellow campers who will want to help...but pay attention to ONLY one person (the one you travel with is the best idea for future harmony on the road). Don't be afraid to get out and look as many times as necessary to make sure the rig is going where YOU want it. Have fun.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
As you are backing..turn the wheel slowly. Only use your mirrors. Never look out the rear window..as you will turn the wheel the wrong way every time. "If you can't see me in the drivers mirror....I cant see you" is what we use. Forget the truck....follow the trailer into the site. Until you get good at backing....never try "blind side" backing. Make sure you and DW are on the same page as to what signal's or verbal instruction's mean. Yelling at each other does not work out well. My 2cts worth.

JanAndBill

We do not use cell phone or walkie talkies. It is ALWAYS the driver's responsibility to make sure the vehicle is going where he/she intends, but I am a big believer in using a spotter no matter how easy the "back-up" seems. You are backing a large vehicle combination, often in busy campgrounds with kids, dogs, and distracted campers walking or moving about. Not everyone respects the fact that you (the driver) have some major blind spot areas behind and alongside the vehicle and may well move into your path without you being aware. Go slow. Then go slower. Don't rush. There will often be no shortage of fellow campers who will want to help...but pay attention to ONLY one person (the one you travel with is the best idea for future harmony on the road). Don't be afraid to get out and look as many times as necessary to make sure the rig is going where YOU want it. Have fun.

Well said Greg. Professional drivers don't have the luxury of spotters, but since they do this every day, several times, in all weather, and under all conditions, they either learn to do it or they're gone. As another poster pointed out, even they have their days. Considering the number of claims for damage I paid out over the years, it's more often than you think. We had decals affixed to the bottom of the mirrors on all the trucks that had one word "GOAL" (Get Out And Look). In a commercial environment most people "know" to stay out of your way, that you have blind spots, however, as pointed out above, campground environments are not the same. For me it's a big safety issue. I don't want anyone, especially a loved one, rambling around out of my sight when I'm moving a vehicle. I can thread the back of that trailer blind side through whatever non-movable objects I need to, but I can't account for wives, kids, pets, etc. that might decide to step in the way at a point where I can't see them. As someone else pointed out, having more than one spotter is a hindrance, just one more "moving" thing to keep track of.

Gaffer

Take your truck to U-haul and rent a cargo trailer for the day. 8' wide if you can. Practice. When you get a little comfortable with the process, cover the back window of your truck so you are forced to use the side mirrors and practice some more. Get some little orange cones. They might be easier to see than trying to find suitable lines on the asphalt.

DougS

Doug S
I agree with the little cones, I have found them very handy especially on large grassy sites where a landmark is hard to see in the mirrors. I bought the cones that kids use to mark boundaries for games. These cones are around $5 for four at the Walmart sporting department. I also like the idea of a spotter and if I loss sight of the spotter in the mirrors, I stop to get out to find the spotter. Another rules I have is that the grandkids and dogs stay in the truck until the engine is stopped.
I use the cones every time I back out and pull into my home driveway which is very tight. Instead of trying to see the edge of the house roof, I back out watching the well placed cones in the mirror.