Surge Protector Your Pick

I would like your input on the choice of surge protector you chose to buy. Also, how do you secure it from being stollen?
We have a Oakmont 325RE 5th Wheel. Thanks.

danemayer

I would like your input on the choice of surge protector you chose to buy. Also, how do you secure it from being stollen?
We have a Oakmont 325RE 5th Wheel. Thanks.

We have an portable Progressive PT50C 50 amp EMS. It has a security bracket. We've got a cable lock that goes through the security bracket and usually through a hole in the pedestal box.

jnbhobe

I have the same as most others, a hard wired unit, It's a lot more than a surge protector.

jhardin

I have the Progressive HW50 and PT50. It's just whatever you prefer both have pro's and con's. I started out with the PT50,Had it for a couple of years and in a bad rain storm it took in some water and showed a fault. Progressive has a lifetime warranty in which it was repaired (free) and sent back a rebuilt one. I was very concerned not having any kind or protection on my rv so I bought a HW50 with a bypass switch. Now if the HW50 goes bad I can flip the bypass switch and use the PT50. I guess I would have to say I feel more comfortable with the HW50 because it's out of the weather and can't be stolen.

Bogie

I have the Progressive Industries EMS-HW30C. Also a hard wired unit. As others have said, it prevents it from growing legs and walking away.

By the way, it has already paid for itself and saved my TV and Microwave during a brown out.

mlpeloquin

I have used the Surge Guard 50A with the universal lock. Last year I installed the Progressive because it will detect an open neutral from the main power through the rig. I found a loose neutral in the power real. Enough said I wanted as much protection as I could get. And yes the main power connector used with out the power real can develop loose connections. Check it once a year. I still use the Sure Guard as well. If a large spike comes down and takes out the Surge Guard the Progressive should take care of what is left. They can only handle so much power before the internal surge protectors fail. It certainly does not hurt to have both in the line, but only one is necessary. If I had only one, it would be the Progressive.

AAdams

Progressive hard wired unit. I wired it right behind the fuse box. We have 2 displays, one inside the cabinet and one that I can read with the off door side pass through door open.

BusManRG

I used a portable SurgeGuard unit on my previous unit. Where did you purchase you Progressive Industries model? Directly from the company? And how difficult is it to do the hard wire? I'm pretty handy, but would hate to mess up my our new rig. DW would not be happy!😊 Sounds like most of you are going with Progressive Industies over the SurgeGuard. Any particular reasons?

Thanks,
Rich

mlpeloquin

If the unit has a failure, Progressive repairs it for free. Hard wire in the bay behind the circuit breakers protects against open grounds best. You may need some six gauge wire. It doesn't cost much. You can order it from Home Depot. Six feet of red, white,black, and ten gauge bare copper should be plenty. If you do it this way, you can remove it and take it with you if or when you decide to change or upgrade fifth wheels.