Road Warrior 427 Questions

ncrebel8

Wesley and Niki Norwood
So for the last couple of years we have been toying with the idea of a toy hauler. Last week we took a trip to look at a new Road Warrior 427 and we liked the floor plan. Now doing some research I have found that there are 2 " different models" of this new floor plan. Attached are 2 photos of 2016 RW 427 RT Toy Haulers for sale. You will notice that one has a single window in the kitchen area with awnings that come close together. The other picture shows another model with 3 windows in the kitchen area with a wide space between the awnings. From what I can tell the models with 3 windows appear to have the fireplace and the models with 1 window appear to not have the fireplace. No one including the dealers seems to know when this change was made. So which is the current production, what was the reason for the change, and what other differences are there is the trailers? Also there is talk on here of patios with steps, but I haven't seen any of these with the new steps on the patios, is this another change that is coming and what other changes come with that alteration?

Wesley

Attachments

• 427 single window.jpg
    427 single window.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 102
  • 427 triple window.jpg
    427 triple window.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
I would call HL and ask for AJ Jones. He is the brand manager for road Warrior and can tell what is the newest and improved model. If you order a new one now or soon you may get a 2017 with more changes. BTW, you are going to need a bigger truck and I hope that is in your plan's. The RW427 has a GVW of 20K. That will require a 1tn DRW no older that a 2011.

KaseyO

The three windowed variant is the new and only one that will come from the factory. I just visited the Heartland factory last week specifically for me and my wife to see the 427. It wasn't until after we got back, looked at more pictures and video, that I noticed one major difference for me. At the factory I did notice the three windows and the saleman said that it was a requested add-on, that was also the reason for the awnings not meeting up. The big issue I have is the counter top on the new variant is split level which I REALLY don't like. I called the salesman about it and he happened to have a design engineer with him and he told it was all about esthetics. As far as the fire place goes, that is an add-on that will come standard but I was told it is no big deal to add it in if yours doesn't come with one.

for the stairs, that was another big deal for me. On the back ramp (new ones now standard) they switched to the MorRyde rail system with the steps going in. The side patio is not not an option. He told me because it was too inconsistant for them to put it standard. I don't care and will have it upgraded after I buy it. Other than that the only other difference is they stopped using LCI's central control system (the tablet) and went back to manual buttons. Again he said it was for consistant funtionality.

All-in-all, I am heading to a dealer here within the next two weeks to buy the older variant. The awning and counter tops are seriously on the cusp of being deal breakers for me with buying the 427. I do plan on upgrading both patios to the morryde rails and steps as well as getting a fire place installed. But I will pick a better fireplace, the one we saw seemed really cheap and almost an appeasement rather than a thought out upgraded addition.

Hope this helps. If I remember anything else from my trip or the phone call I will add it in. One mre thing, it's not listed as an option on the website but when we were there he did say that it has a stand alone dinette and love seat option. That was another big question since most other manufacturers offer that option.

ram_1955

KaseyO do you have a price on the Morryde rails and steps? I am thinking about upgrading my rails to the Morryde.

ncrebel8

Wesley and Niki Norwood
Thanks for the info KaseyO, we went back and forth on these things with the dealer for a while. I love the floor plan of the 427 from the kitchen back. But we are considering other options now. The biggest deal breaker for me is the awnings, it seems more that the engineers are putting the awnings on as an afterthought. The road warrior 427 and the 420 as well as the cyclone we looked at with the awnings that don't cover the entrance doors don't appeal to me. May not be a big deal to anyone else but it does bother me, lol. So between the awnings and the wardrobe being half in the hallway, no access to the bedroom with the slides in, and the small underside storage we decided to look at other options. Good luck with the 427 it is a pretty cool layout.

Wesley

KaseyO

Not yet. It's still in the planning stages right now. I need to talk to Heartland and/or a dealer to see about that.

KaseyO

Yeah the bedroom was almost a deal breaker for us too. It is still abig deal for us but we are thinking of ways to manage. Actually to be honest the biggest issues we had were the no underbed storage as well as the washer/dryer not being i. The bedroom. The hallway closet actually has a benefit since there is no pantry we are planning on converting 1/2 of that closet into a pantry.

Of note, my wife woke up thos morning having second thoughts for numerous reasons and even though we have a deposit on one she is at this moment looking at other models. If only they would add some of the nicer features to these types of floorplans. It seems like that north/south bed is trending big time now, especially with the side patio floorplans..

KaseyO

Ram, how do you like your 413? Do you live in it fulltime? Is not having access to the bedroom with the slide in? Does the bedroom layout work well for you?

Sniper

Ram, how do you like your 413? Do you live in it fulltime? Is not having access to the bedroom with the slide in? Does the bedroom layout work well for you?
We have a cyclone 3010, and BIG selling points (in fact they were have to have's) were bathroom, bedroom and fridge access with the slides in. It makes it so nice to be able to stop to rest, be able to make a sandwich, or crawl into bed for a few hours sleep without having to put slides out. I've seen folks setting in rest areas with their bedroom slide hanging out in the drive lane, or over in to the the semi space to their left. Gives me the willy's. LOL

Last edited:

ram_1955

We are not full time. :( We have just spent the first 5 nights in it. Some of our thoughts about issues mentioned: no access to bedroom with slide in we always have the bed in back and since we don't haul any toys we can use that bed there is also the recliners that could be used as a nap place also. ( may not be real comfortable but in a pinch) We have 2 full baths so do have access to a bath easily. We can get one door of the refer open and the the whole freezer.
One of the big reasons for going with the 413 was the bedroom, wife has some mobility issues and this works well for her. I have cut the bed platform down to just the size of the box under it and put a full/double mattress in for her.
I can get into the bedroom by pushing the wardrobe out about half way if I MUST get into the bed or the bath.
In most of the rest areas I have been in in the last couple of years there is always an out of the way end space that if we had to open the slides we could, there is alsoWalmart parking lots.

KaseyO

Good to know.

In regards to the patio rails I called a couple of dealers but I have to wait until Monday because they need to call MorRyde to get a parts quote. The steps though are $580

Sniper

We are not full time. :( We have just spent the first 5 nights in it. Some of our thoughts about issues mentioned: no access to bedroom with slide in we always have the bed in back and since we don't haul any toys we can use that bed there is also the recliners that could be used as a nap place also. ( may not be real comfortable but in a pinch) We have 2 full baths so do have access to a bath easily. We can get one door of the refer open and the the whole freezer.
One of the big reasons for going with the 413 was the bedroom, wife has some mobility issues and this works well for her. I have cut the bed platform down to just the size of the box under it and put a full/double mattress in for her.
I can get into the bedroom by pushing the wardrobe out about half way if I MUST get into the bed or the bath.
In most of the rest areas I have been in in the last couple of years there is always an out of the way end space that if we had to open the slides we could, there is alsoWalmart parking lots.
If it works for you and your better half, and you both are happy with it then, that's all that counts. Enjoy.

Safe travels. :)

KaseyO

Well funny thing happened. We got to the dealer, did the walk through, spent a couple of hours sitting in it and decided not to get it. We ended up getting a Grand Design Solitude 366DEN. We were going to get a GD Momentum toy hauler but at the last second decided a bunkhouse was a better option for us. Plus it was $10,000 less than the Momentum. What did you decide on?

ncrebel8

Wesley and Niki Norwood
We made a deal on a Keystone Fuzion 420 toyhauler. The floorplan just worked better than all the others we at. Happy so far. Good luck with the Grand design, they are very nice rigs!

KaseyO

We are happy with it so far. The Fuzion 420 was on my list of possibles too but not enough understorage for fulltiming with 3 toddlers. Garage would have been theirs leaving very little room for much storage.