air ride suspensions in tow vehicle opinions wanted

szewczyk_john

I have been looking at new Rams for a while now and I have a question about the air bag suspension/auto leveling system that is being offered. I use a trailer saver BD-3 fifth wheel hitch that uses air bags to dampen the bounces between the truck bed and the trailer. There are a number of posts and discussions at national rallies about how an air bag equipped hitch does not work well with air bag equipped pin boxes. So I would like to hear from owners of trucks equipped with air bag suspensions/auto leveling systems that also use air bagged equipped hitches. Do these systems seem to defeat each others purposes or do they work well together.

On my current truck I added the firestone bags to help keep the tow vehicle level and I did not notice any additional bounce after installing the ride rite bags. So I would believe that the two systems can work together but would like to hear from current owners of newer Rams with the auto leveling system to hear what their opinions are of the system and especially from anyone that also uses an air bag equipped hitch.

hoefler

There is no reason for it not to work well together. If your running air bags already, and it works, why wouldn't it work with an air suspension. Same thing.

Bones

I have auto level and an air bag on the pin box. Not once did it ever cross my mind that the two of them wont work. The auto level will level the truck when loaded. The air bag on the pin-box cushions the trailer. I do not see any type of oscillation that one may think by having this set up.