RV Lock Compartment Door (Slam Latch) Locks Now Available

Bones

Re: RVLock 4.0 Special - Back in Play for Heartland Owners!

Well not long after I posted the question I received an E-mail about them. Nice!!

Bones

Re: RV Lock Slam Latches now available

I like them a lot. That could get a little pricey though.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired

I like them a lot. That could get a little pricey though.

Yep. I figure it depends on your locking/security paranoia whether one goes whole hog on these.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired

I'll certainly drool over them. We had combination (CombiCam) locks on our previous coach for 5 years. With the keypad RV lock for the door, we never had to worry with keys to get into our storage or door.

Now with new coach and slam-latch doors, I ALWAYS forget the keys. Walk outside, have to go back and get them. And then forget to lock them up, a couple times. ARGH!

I need these!!

jbeletti

Well not long after I posted the question I received an E-mail about them. Nice!!

Dave - I hope to have some eval units to try on my demo coach very soon. I'll be able to give some real feedback on installation, fitment and operation.

Lynn1130

Re: RVLock Special Extended through September 30, 2015 - discussion

I would love to but with the need for four of these I think I will keep the key system ($720).

AAdams

To change all the pass through ones on our BH 3750 FL I would need 11 of these ( not doing the front gen compartment or the propane tank doors ). So that would be $1979.89. I think I will have to pass. Great idea, but I would think they need to offer a cheaper one without the remote. Order one set with the remote and 10 without, push one button they all unlock or lock. Of course even then I wouldn't be able to justify spending $1579.99 ( assumption that the ones without the remote would be discounted by the $39.99 remote cost if bought separately )

jbeletti

To change all the pass through ones on our BH 3750 FL I would need 11 of these ( not doing the front gen compartment or the propane tank doors ). So that would be $1979.89. I think I will have to pass. Great idea, but I would think they need to offer a cheaper one without the remote. Order one set with the remote and 10 without, push one button they all unlock or lock. Of course even then I wouldn't be able to justify spending $1579.99 ( assumption that the ones without the remote would be discounted by the $39.99 remote cost if bought separately )

Alan - I've asked RV Lock about a dozen questions. How the master/slaves interoperate is one of them. Note that RVIA code does not allow for a Mfr to have locking propane cabinet doors. I've actually run to a person's RV to shut their tanks off when they had a fire going inside.

Bones

Alan - I've asked RV Lock about a dozen questions. How the master/slaves interoperate is one of them. Note that RVIA code does not allow for a Mfr to have locking propane cabinet doors. I've actually run to a person's RV to shut their tanks off when they had a fire going inside.
Wow. I have the pad lock on my tank so My tanks don't walk. The door itself is unlocked and Now I have a further understanding as to why.

Bones

Dave - I hope to have some eval units to try on my demo coach very soon. I'll be able to give some real feedback on installation, fitment and operation.
That is awesome and I look forward to being able to see them in action.

jbeletti

Wow. I have the pad lock on my tank so My tanks don't walk. The door itself is unlocked and Now I have a further understanding as to why.

Yeppers. You probably wondered why the lock cylinder spot had a plug in it :)

At least allowing others to turn the tanks off will be a help Dave. If the fire involves most of the RV and cannot be contained, those tanks could blow if they are secured. But, I suppose it's no different than a motorhome with a larger built-in, non-removable tank. I'd still remove the padlock :)

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...

I have both of my propane tanks cable locked to the trailer to deter theft, but the door is not locked.

Is this not a good idea?

Bones

Yeppers. You probably wondered why the lock cylinder spot had a plug in it :)

At least allowing others to turn the tanks off will be a help Dave. If the fire involves most of the RV and cannot be contained, those tanks could blow if they are secured. But, I suppose it's no different than a motorhome with a larger built-in, non-removable tank. I'd still remove the padlock :)

Oops sorry I miss spoke. The pad lock is on the little hole inside the door and the door is open to anyone. :)

jbeletti

I have both of my propane tanks cable locked to the trailer to deter theft, but the door is not locked.

Is this not a good idea?

Frank - I'm no Fire expert. All I know is that RV Mfrs building RVIA sealed coaches cannot have locks in the Propane Cabinet Doors.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired

That's why you can lock the tank and not the doors but if my camper or anyone else's is on fire..not going to try and be a hero with regards to the propane tanks.

jbeletti

That's why you can lock the tank and not the doors but if my camper or anyone else's is on fire..not going to try and be a hero with regards to the propane tanks.

Lyle - each situation is different. In my case, I was walking by a Landmark and another passerby told me "that RV is on fire". She heard the smoke alarm going off from outside as she was walking by. I was at the front of the RV when she stopped me so my first instinct was to shut the tanks off. Dangerous? Probably. Especially since I was unaware of the level of involvement. Another person went around and pulled the AC power at the pedestal. It all happened so fast.

The RV did not burn down. Mostly smoke damage. Lesson learned: Don't burn real candles in an RV or be REALLY careful. In this case, the candle was small (votive) and in a glass base. However, it was on a counter top, slid up next to a wall that had mirrored tiles on it. The heat channeled straight up and heated the base of a AA battery charger plugged into the wall and heated the batteries which may have exploded (unsure). Heat climbed higher. The damage was heat and smoke related plus candle wax on the carpet from the owner doing his best to get the fuel source out of the RV.

Bones

Lyle - each situation is different. In my case, I was walking by a Landmark and another passerby told me "that RV is on fire". She heard the smoke alarm going off from outside as she was walking by. I was at the front of the RV when she stopped me so my first instinct was to shut the tanks off. Dangerous? Probably. Especially since I was unaware of the level of involvement. Another person went around and pulled the AC power at the pedestal. It all happened so fast.

The RV did not burn down. Mostly smoke damage. Lesson learned: Don't burn real candles in an RV or be REALLY careful. In this case, the candle was small (votive) and in a glass base. However, it was on a counter top, slid up next to a wall that had mirrored tiles on it. The heat channeled straight up and heated the base of a AA battery charger plugged into the wall and heated the batteries which may have exploded (unsure). Heat climbed higher. The damage was heat and smoke related plus candle wax on the carpet from the owner doing his best to get the fuel source out of the RV.
Well that was a very expensive lesson