Alaska this July

Michaeloh

We r Planning the trip of a lifetime with dad and uncle. We have no definite plans other than we want to make it to Denali and take in a whale watching tour. We have the month of July. Any suggestions, comments, must see's would be appreciated.

BLHFUN

We r Planning the trip of a lifetime with dad and uncle. We have no definite plans other than we want to make it to Denali and take in a whale watching tour. We have the month of July. Any suggestions, comments, must see's would be appreciated.

Suggestion.. Take us with you!!! :)

It's on our list for sure - Sounds like a great time. Safe travels!

Dean-Pam

Would love to hear about your trip when you return and any lessons learned. This is something we have dreamed about.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Been there and done that. PM me for details...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GregP

I agree with NorthCal Bob. You will need more than a month if you want to really enjoy the trip. There is a book, "The Milepost" which is a very worthwhile investment for the Alaska Hwy Rte as well as much info on side trips, sights to see, and much more. We drove up in 2014 with our BH and spent nearly two months getting there and seeing some of the sights. Two months was still too much of a rush and I can't wait to go back, possibly in 2017. Feel free to PM if you want. Love to talk about the trip.

teasac69

I agree with NorthCal Bob. You will need more than a month if you want to really enjoy the trip. There is a book, "The Milepost" which is a very worthwhile investment for the Alaska Hwy Rte as well as much info on side trips, sights to see, and much more. We drove up in 2014 with our BH and spent nearly two months getting there and seeing some of the sights. Two months was still too much of a rush and I can't wait to go back, possibly in 2017. Feel free to PM if you want. Love to talk about the trip.

Thanks for the book suggestion. I'll get that one right away. We have that on our RV bucket list, most likely for 2017 as well but maybe in 18'. Wondering if it's advisable to try to go in teams to always have a travel buddy for the road unknown troubles? I also agree with suggestions to take longer to get it done. That trip is tough enough without trying to do it in record time and not getting to breathe the air and take in the sights.

GregP

One thing to remember if you are heading up via the Alaska Highway...bring a sign for the "Signpost Forest" at Watson Lake, Yukon Territory. There are over 72,000 signs posted by travellers from all over to link with their distant homes. The Alaska Highway is not as intimidating as it once was and we had no problems finding diesel or gas on our trip. Fuel is expensive tho, so be ready to pay a lot more than in the lower 48.

MTPockets

A suggestion is to have a "Plan B".... We did a six month drive to Alaska in 2011, but the portion from Vancouver to Denali and back to Montanna was about 3 months. We encountered sections of road in various modes of construction with speed maybe 10mph due to the frost heaves. Then a Forrest fire delayed us three days. Don't know where you're starting in Texas, but 8000 miles round trip from Dallas to Anchorage in 30 days is pretty ambitious.

Gizzy

We spent 3 1/2 months going last summer and even that seemed to be rushing it at times. Can't imagine trying to make the trip in 1 month and enjoying it. There are so many places to stop and see just driving thru Canada on the way up and back plus all the places to visit in Alaska. Be sure to make the drive from Banff to Jasper in the Canadian Rockies. Plan a couple of days in Whitehorse, Yukon Territory. Probably the most remembered places for us were the time spent in Seward and on the way back we stayed in Hyder a few days to watch the brown bears catching salmon. (had to wait until the end of July for the salmon to run). Good luck and have a safe trip and let us know how it goes.

Michaeloh

What kind of sign?

I appreciate the suggestions so far, and the Alaska envy:p
I had not considered that a month would be rushing it but it's actually worse than y'all know. We are leaving from south Texas not north Texas and the mileage will probably be around 10,000. And now that I do the math that is 333 miles per day, which sounds like a lot of driving and not much camping.

any other specific suggestions and Bon voyages will be appreciated.

travelin2

If you only have a month, ought to buy a plane ticket and leave the camper at home...just saying.
We were gone for four months and drove 18K miles on our trip to Alaska. One month is insane!
As someone mentioned, buy the Milepost and you'll soon see there are too many places to stop and see in BC, the Yukon, and AK. We're going back again later in the summer next time to see things we couldn't because of seasons.

GregP

The suggestion to fly up from Texas isn't actually too bad an idea if you don't have the time available. You could also fly up and take a coastal cruise if all you are able to do is the high points. Although the Alaska Hwy is not the military highway of the past, it is not anything at all like the Interstates that we are used to. 333 miles of driving per day through BC, Yukon and Alaska is pretty ambitious. Besides...it is "knock your socks off" gorgeous and you may not want to make that kind of mileage, taking time to enjoy the country. The signs are mostly location signs from cities/towns or wherever else travellers are from. Google Watson Lake Yukon for photos. Bring a sign yourself to post and be a part of history.

travelin2

Thanks for the book suggestion. I'll get that one right away. We have that on our RV bucket list, most likely for 2017 as well but maybe in 18'. Wondering if it's advisable to try to go in teams to always have a travel buddy for the road unknown troubles? I also agree with suggestions to take longer to get it done. That trip is tough enough without trying to do it in record time and not getting to breathe the air and take in the sights.

The Milepost comes in handy for fuel stops, places to stay, sights to see, last year's road issues and construction in Canada and Alaska. The trip (road) itself is not that tough. Many miles (KM) have a posted speed limit of 100 km/hr. The worst section of the hwy was the last couple hundred miles in the YT entering AK. Frost heaves from the permafrost damage really limits your speeds and progress. Some of the same in AK but efforts are made to mark areas to give you some advance warning. The hwy is a tourist route so the majority of the traffic is campers and RV'ers. We saw/met some traveling using the buddy system but not many. The "toughest" part of the trip is the miles of wide open nothingness where (mentally) you feel you're the only one out there...

GregP

"Nothingness"? I call that room to breathe. The Yukon territory is about 2/3 the area of Texas with a TOTAL population of around 36000 people. About 27000 of those live in Whitehorse, the biggest city. Leaves a lot of elbow room for those who like to get away from the smog and traffic of more populated areas. And Alaska...well that's a whole 'nuther story. I can't wait to head back up and could probably spend a lifetime poking around and meeting some of the best people ever. DW maybe not so much, so I will have to work on her a bit.
She loved the trip. She didn't care for the "top of the World" highway from Dawson City Yukon to Tok Alaska.

CabinetmakerII

We are leaving from Northern Idaho on June 10th and returning late August or early September. Perhaps we will see you around the camp fire!

mlpeloquin

There are tour groups that you can sign up for. They setup nightly camping spots and you can pull over to enjoy the scenery and catch up at the nightly camping stop. Don't think any would do it in a month.

travelin2

There are tour groups that you can sign up for. They setup nightly camping spots and you can pull over to enjoy the scenery and catch up at the nightly camping stop. Don't think any would do it in a month.

We saw a couple of those groups...reminded me of watching "Rawhide" with the wagon master "Round 'em up & roll 'em out". Everyone showing up at the same time, chaos as rigs were all trying for their spots at the same time, the "boss" going rig to rig saying "meet in front of xxx" for the scheduled event, and everyone leaving trying not to be left behind. Sometimes humorous, other times pitiful. Not for me!!!
Talked to one of those guys at a fuel stop in Tok while the caravan was across the road at the diner; he was in hurry "had to get 'em back to Dawson Creek"! Turn around and lead another group up.