Docking station pass through

Shadowchek

Well when going through my new 08 Bh I Went to fill my fresh tank up upon doing that I had some water in the bottom and thought I will let the majority of it go out the bottom so I pulled the pass through cap in the bottom and the one on the underside of the unit and saw no pass through tube just bare wood with holes cut in it so the water just runs on them and wherever it wants. It seems to me this is rot just waiting to happen in short order is this normal. If this is normal I am going to have to make some kind of a tube for the big hole and install a small drain or 2 in the very bottom of the station. Also seal everything up unless I am missing something here. My unit is dated 12/27/07 so during the holidays who knows.
Thanks

Greg :cool:

Attachments

• dcp_0190.jpg
    dcp_0190.jpg
    232.2 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

grizzlygiant

I have an 08 3400 and I am having trouble following your story.

Water in the bottom of what?
Pass-through from where to where?

Please explain/post picture and maybe we can help.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I think I know the area you're talking about. We have an 07 3400rl and there is no wood in that area. If there is wood in yours, I'm thinking it gets enough air down there to dry without causing any issues but if you aren't comfotable with that, try to find some PVC pipe with the OD sized to fit as close as possible to the inside of the holes and silicone it into place. This should solve your problem.

DaleR

I used the insulating foam that comes in a can. You can find some at just about any store that has building supplies. Does a good job of keeping water out. Mice and other things to.

Peteandsharon

Greg,

I believe I know what you are saying. I have what is a similar complaint with the docking station area. In my BH 3055 I run the city water hose up into the docking station from underneath. You remove the screw in cap to allow the hose to run in there. What I find is that if you have the slightest leak where the hose attaches to the city water connection you get water built up in that docking station area. It leaks into the pass through storage compartment and it gets the wood wet below the docking station. I think this is just poor design. I considered drilling a couple of drain holes in the bottom of the docking station area to let it drain but found that it would get the wood underneath wet. Still haven't figured out how to create some sort of drain without the water getting the wood wet.

Shadowchek

Ok I couldn't stand it so I fixed it yesterday. I went to the hardware store looked around for materials to solve this pipe or whatever really couldn't find anything. I bought some 1/2" i.d. clear plastic tubing though.I drilled a hole in the bottom of the docking station and in the wood directly beneath that. The hole was the perfect size for a tight fit for the tubing I had purchased. I fed the tubing through the top and pulled it through the bottom untill there was about an inch still showing on top. I covered the outside of the exposed inch with bathroom sealant then pulled it through untill it was flush with the bottom of the docking station. I removed the exess sealant and cut off the exess tubing underneath and I now have a drain. I have a small heating and air business that I run out of my house so as a result my garage is a sheet metal shop. I removed the top cap assembly by taking out the 6 phillips head screws in the docking station. I then removed the bottom assembly and measured the distance between the top and the bottom. I then measured the distance across the assembly. Then made a galvanized metal tube that fit the ends. I ground away enough of the plywood where the end assemblies were so that the tube I made fit in the hole snuggly. I inserted the tube in the hole caulked the end assemblies then reinstalled them. I caulked a little more and now I have a nice pass through for my water hose. No more worries of rotting my wood and it looks good instead of unfinished. I will try to get pics.

Greg

Peteandsharon

Greg, I am going to do exactly the same thing tomorrow to get a drain. I bought two one foot lengths of the clear tubing. One is 3/8" o.d. and the other is 1/2" o.d. Depending on the biggest drill bit I can come up with I will use one or the other to create a drain. I will also run a bead of caulk around the whole edge of the docking station compartment to be sure. I still think this is poor design in the first place.

Shadowchek

Glad to hear it. I will post some pics when We get back from our maiden voyage. I went through all of the cabinet and drawer latches yesterday so now that is all good. I found the key to those is they need to be exactly centered. I am going to finish changing out the coby system today. I found a 5.1 samsung system on sale at Best buy for 189.00. The speakers will clear the slides and the sub fits down below turned sideways laying on it's side. I will just have some little holes to fill. I also found the framework where the drawer glides hook on in the back was kind of wobbly so I took a piece of wood and attached it to the top of that frame and attached that to the counter top framework no more wobbles. I am then going to install a car stereo system so that we can have music when we are boondocking. I purchased a 19" lcd tv with a built in Dvd player for the bedroom I will be mounting that on an arm attached to the cabinet wall opposite the closet. I will be hooking up a small 3 speaker sound system made for a computer to it. The sub fits under the privacy curtain and the wires wil be hidden in a small conduit made for running wires up walls. The other 2 speakers I will velcro on to the dresser top at the ends. The power will come from inside the washer drier closet which is right there. I caulked the shower, have tightening all of the plumbing connections and checking lugs, inspecting, adjusting the breaks and checking the king pin for tightness and making sure there are no protruding screws under the slides on the to do list.. Then I will install my levels and be ready to go. Whew lol. I am sure there will be more things but that should take care of the majority. I have found that there are a lot of little things that could have been done better at the factory but when I am done with this thing it will be an incredible 5ver especially for the money. Some of my mods are personal preference not really necessary a few were lack of attention to detail but over all We love our Bh and would definately buy it again.

Greg