Ball locks, wheel locks etc...

skiph

Wasn't sure where to post this. Seems the only place I found dealing with security was a closed forum. Don't know if I didn't search long enough.

Anyway. When I am at a camp ground, and I want to leave for a few hours to visit some POI, I worry that someone could come in, unhook my 22RBK and drive off with it. Paranoia is alive and well. Knew a guy they did this to the boat in his driveway. Not the same thing but...

I was considering a ball lock, but it looks like the stabilizer/sway bar I am getting for my rig will have it's own. So, theoretically, someone could dismantle the thing and still drive off.

Then I also saw a wheel lock (boot kinda thing).

I was wondering what others are doing to protect their trailers and/or am I being too paranoid?

Thanks for any response.

Last edited by a moderator:

jnbhobe

I have never locked mine, but I do have a lock for the pin. If I were to leave it in the mountains I may put on the pin lock If I was going away for a week.

guyc66

If a thief wants your rig they will figure out a way to take it no matter what type of security measure you install. The best thing to do is have good insurance and focus on enjoying what life has to offer along your camping adventures.

danemayer

I go by the theory that crooks will take the easiest path available. If my trailer is locked and yours is not, they'll take yours because it's easier.

GWRam

On my TT I put a lock on the coupler when attached to the TV and when parked.

I put a lock on my 5er king pin when parked.

Determined thief will steal whatever they want. I feel better trying to slow them down or stop them. Waking through storage lots and camp grounds it seems most owners aren't worried about locking their units.

Makes me feel better so I lock up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gtoli

I go by the theory that crooks will take the easiest path available. If my trailer is locked and yours is not, they'll take yours because it's easier.

I agree. I use a pin lock and have ratcheting type tire chocks that have small padlocks to keep them from being easily removed.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
It will be kind of hard to snatch my rig since the four electric jacks will be down, along with the rear stabilizers. Sure, they could try operating the jacks via the switch in the front, but it'll get them nowhere. You need the remote to operate them (and it's always with me), the switch only powers the "brain" for the system. Dragging it down the road with the jack pads scraping the ground would get noticed since I normally have it raised enough that some of the weight is off the tires.

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
Nothing wrong with being cautious and adding a little security. As others have said, security only slows them down if they really want it. With that in mind, how much more secure does a $200 lock make your rig over a $50 lock?

skiph

My wife agrees with guyc66's zen acceptance. I feel that if I can, for a moderate price, at least somewhat annoy any would be thief, that I have done my part. I "kinda" worry about it at a RV site. State park or private, but was really thinking of storage. It will, sadly, most likely spend more of a year there than in a state park. But maybe I will be pleasantly surprised and it won't. :)

But I want to thank everyone for their responses.

I "do" search before I ask, but know a lot of my questions just show what a noob I am and the answers how helpful everyone is being.

Thank you all.

AAdams

Since we are all only a crow bar from getting all our stuff stolen anyway, I use a pin lock on the king pin. A thief would have to break that lock, the side compartment door for the levelers, and the main door for the slides. In our case since we are full timers and park for a month here, few months there, the best thing is to know you neighbors. If your neighbor sees something, and they like you, they will more than likely call 911 when someone is trying to get all the slides closed, break the kingpin lock, etc...

skiph

Since we are all only a crow bar from getting all our stuff stolen anyway, I use a pin lock on the king pin. A thief would have to break that lock, the side compartment door for the levelers, and the main door for the slides. In our case since we are full timers and park for a month here, few months there, the best thing is to know you neighbors. If your neighbor sees something, and they like you, they will more than likely call 911 when someone is trying to get all the slides closed, break the kingpin lock, etc...

Good advice. We don't "plan" on being full timers, but who knows what the future brings? Always a good idea to know the neighbors. Short or long.

I am just trying to keep my well learned paranoia in check and not driving my wife crazy.

TBD if I will be successful at either.

Niles

We don't lock up to tight either, however Caution is not a bad thing either. I always thought a cable though the wheels would be a good choice if I did do something to slow them down. TSC has one that is 20 feet long, a guy could go around two wheels on one side and possibly reach one on the other.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Locks are only respected by the honest and only deter the opportunistic thief.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We had our basement broken into while our rig was I storage, back when we had the standard single key lock in the middle of the basement doors. Thrives hit a few trailers in the lot. After that, we installed CombiCam locks on all of the latches, and felt very secure after that. We also use a kingpin lock.

Now, fulltime, we have a monitored security system and some wireless cameras. Paranoid? Maybe so, but that's what growing up and living in a major metropolitan area for 45 years will do. Now we live 5 miles from the nearest town, in a wooded campground, and I'm glad I have my security measures, just in case.

skiph

We had our basement broken into while our rig was I storage, back when we had the standard single key lock in the middle of the basement doors. Thrives hit a few trailers in the lot. After that, we installed CombiCam locks on all of the latches, and felt very secure after that. We also use a kingpin lock.

Now, fulltime, we have a monitored security system and some wireless cameras. Paranoid? Maybe so, but that's what growing up and living in a major metropolitan area for 45 years will do. Now we live 5 miles from the nearest town, in a wooded campground, and I'm glad I have my security measures, just in case.

This is good stuff. I will be looking into your Combicams. I am working on some kind of camera system myself. Of course it will only be active while we are using the TT.

What set up are you using? I have been looking at the Arlo set up.

I realize that the only way I can guarantee never to have my TT broken into is to sell it. But to delay, slow down, annoy a would be breaker, makes me tingle with pleasure. Yes, I am easily amused.

Thanks All, for the responses.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We have 2 Blink cameras. Not currently tied to our security system. I mainly just look at them when I want to check on things inside the coach when we are away. If my security system alerted me, I could look at see what was going on.

skiph

We have 2 Blink cameras. Not currently tied to our security system. I mainly just look at them when I want to check on things inside the coach when we are away. If my security system alerted me, I could look at see what was going on.

Again good stuff and again thanks. Gives me things to think upon.

- - - Updated - - -

Unfortunately, battery powered angle grinders have made most padlocks a minor inconvenience to a thief!

One hopes that at an RV park this would be noticed. And at my storage facility, it has cameras and I would hope this would be noticed there as well.

If not it will certainly make my insurance company unhappy.

guyc66

.....but was really thinking of storage. It will, sadly, most likely spend more of a year there than in a state park...... :)

BTW - I haven't seen my fifthwheel in 2 1/2 years. I left it in storage when I moved from TN to CO and didn't have a truck to pull it. I am finally going back to get it (or what's left of it) next month. In keeping with my positive outlook on everything life throws at me, if it has been stolen I will take that as a sign it is time to upgrade and if it's still there I will embrace the opportunity to enhance my RV repair skills....LOL.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Paranoid? Maybe so, but that's what growing up and living in a major metropolitan area for 45 years will do. Now we live 5 miles from the nearest town, in a wooded campground, and I'm glad I have my security measures, just in case.

After watching too many episodes of 'Criminal Minds' and getting creeped out . . .

I don't think out in the middle of nowhere is any safer than in the middle of the big city.